Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a solo tail section for my 93 900SS. Have looked at a few aftermarket tails, which are "race-oriented" and don't seem to have tool tray access. Do the OEM units?

Don't think I want to give up tool carrying capability (without bags) on a near 20 yr old Italian bike...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
There is a tool tray with a rubber hold-down strap. If you install 4 Dzus fasteners, it is easily accessable. I wouldn't recommend leaving out the 2 rear bolts as pajazo suggested. Those solo tail sections crack easily enough as it is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
German company DIOPA makes a superlight rear seat with acces to storage from the back padding. Only german site though... "Staufach" means storage compartment.
Diopa - Onlineshop

I have bought a cheap used one in kamna racing blue. The hatch and the support brackets is missing, Ill need to paint it and make some padding... but at 35$ its worth the effort.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
There is a tool tray with a rubber hold-down strap. If you install 4 Dzus fasteners, it is easily accessable. I wouldn't recommend leaving out the 2 rear bolts as pajazo suggested. Those solo tail sections crack easily enough as it is.
get 4 of these:
DZUS Pin Retainer
and 4 of these:
DZUS Pin: D-Ring

Makes access very easy.

or get the entire 12 piece kit to make the fairing and nose easier to remove:
DZUS 'D' Ring Kit: 900SS to 98

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks guys. Planning to DZUS the whole bike at some point, makes sense for the solo tail.

Of other vendors out there, any particularly good / bad tail sections? I'll probably take my time and hunt for a used one...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good source for new solo tail section? Haven't heard the best words about Airtech quality, don't know much about other vendors...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Haven't heard the best words about Airtech quality, don't know much about other vendors...

Really? I just got a fender for my CB550 cafe bike from them. They quoted me two-three weeks, and instead shipped it in just 3 days. Great packaging to prevent damage, and it's a really nice, heavy-duty piece, much better than other thin, "plasticky" pieces I looked at. I couldn't be more happy about what I got!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have Sharkskinz on my track bike. Well made with nice molded-in frame rail supports (I don't think the Airtech has those). Good, quick service. The only caveat is that they are very lightweight, being made for racing/track bikes. However, they are quite easy to fix after the inevitable off-track excursion :eek:.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, a friend was just whining about all the work he had to do to get some Airtech stuff "right" on a bevel SS. I can see where variance in bike vs. their mold may happen. Haven't seen it myself though, so hard to say.

Sharkskinz looks pretty sweet and not too much $$.

Gonna troll for used for a bit and see what happens. There is a nice Sargent solo seat in eBay and if one of you all doesn't grab it, I might have to. Love the Sargent seat I have now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts