Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gosh, we are a happy Ducati family, the 748, 998, 1098 and the GT just lurking in the corner, all get on well and everyone seemed happy until he went and got the bike buying bug again! The 1098 was pronounced to be the best bike EVER and he would NEVER EVER trade it! Three weeks ago he wanted to trade it for a Bayliss 1098R, until the trade in price he got offered was too low. Phew! I would love a Bayliss but it just opens up a whole can of worms - sub frame not suitable for carrying luggage - we tour a lot and have done for years on Superbikes and have been very happy, etc, etc.

Now after this weekend, he says that Sunday's ride was just not fun??:confused: well okay we had blanketing fog to begin with and then there was a bit of traffic and the police were out in numbers, but then he says that if continues to ride the 1098 he will probably lose his licence - "where is the self control" I ask?" Reply - "but its fun to ride really fast" and "it is beginning to hurt riding slowly" is the reply. Now it appears that he wants something more touring - have aliens abducted my husband??

But wait, no bikes are going, no bikes are being traded, we must just have more bikes, okay we might just lay up a couple and turn them into track only! He doesn't want an ST - cos he reckons he is not old enough. He thinks that the new offering from Ducati at EICMA might be the go. I think a Streetfighter - cos I reckon without a fairing he will get tuckered going really fast. What to buy???

Come on lets here from you guys. Options:

Stradaperta - ugly thing (who can know what it will be like)
Multistrada - but only an S version (he has ridden one and thinks it was quite good)
Streetfighter??

In the meantime I can only hope the aliens return the man I married. I reckon he is just jealous cos he bought me a bike for my birthday - its not here yet - so I can't tell you about it, except its old and I have wanted one for a long long time.

I guess I should just be grateful I am not being traded for a 21 year old blonde.:)

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
He really should try the ST4s. Really nothing about being old, just like the practicality of the bike. It still runs faster than most, and will roost wheelies readily.

The SF IMHO is worse than the 1098, if you are looking to hold onto your license. It's way too easy to go fast on the SF, and has a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground. It isn't as comfy as the ST, and ergo wise it is lacking.

Multi is good, but a little poky. I wouldn't touch the new MS1200 with a 10 foot pole if what we've seen here is truth of form.

Try the ST.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Get down to PI for a trackday or two to give the 1098 a thorough seeing to. That'll see to the Need for Speed. Is the GT one of those new/old GT1000's Ducati make nowdays?

·
Premium Member
12,359 Posts
Do you really believe it will STOP ?
You can slow it down a little , put it away for a while , Supress it maybe...
It never goes away....
Primal urges are impossible to change
I'll bet He's looking forward to the new Multi.
It has me thinking unrationally too ,I think it is the Ducati mystique...

21 year old blonde ? I think not ,do you know how stupid some of them are???

That is a part of Ducati marketing stragety ,the blonde thing ,OHHH I better let him get another bike so he doesn't go looking for another woman ...

Hey the way I see it is it is his turn and will be your turn next.....
Enjoy the inevetable changes, that is part of the fun.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
First, and most important here - he can't trade you for a 21 year old blonde. Do you know how rare true Ducati women like yourself are? He'll never find another as good as you!:D

Now about the bikes - the only decent looking one you mentioned was teh Streetfighter. I mean, really, if he thinks he is not "old" enough for a ST, how can he not think a Multi is fugly? C'mon, the ST has it all over that bike!

But I might be biased - I love my ST3...and I'm only 43.

·
Bon Vivant
11,243 Posts
A Streetfighter will not slow him down!!! But contrary to what others here infer the ergos ARE fantastic and he could ride it all day.

The other bikes (ST, Multi) are just Fugly!!! But they are good bikes and can also warrant speeding infractions of their own.

Oh, and yeah, you're a keeper ;)

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I agree with the track bike option. Take the "need to speed" to the track, where it belongs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well

I think upcoming Multistrada 1200 will be a perfect match to your husband. It will be as much fun as 1098, however it will be possible to ride it slow and still enjoy riding. Not to mention comfortable ergos and 1200 cc engine straight off 1198 :D

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Heck make the present rides track bikes and bite the bullet and get a couple of Goldwings....:eek:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
he says that if continues to ride the 1098 he will probably lose his licence -
<snip>
He doesn't want an ST - cos he reckons he is not old enough.
Sounds like he needs a moped, because he can still get into a lot of trouble with an ST. What's really fun about the ST, though, is the embarrassment you can give some of the squids as they get passed by a bagger. I have a lot of fun with my ST2 and constantly tell myself I need to slow down and start riding it like a sport-TOURING bike...

I would also vote that maybe he needs to get a track-only bike. I'm hoping to start doing trackdays, again, next year in order to hopefully slow down more on the street. My wife and I have gotten far too many tickets over the last few years, and they'll catch up to us soon enough.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not old enough for the ST?? I'm in my mid 20s and my ST2 is my first ducati. Lightly modded, the ST bikes will embarrass all but the hottest liter bikes. And desmo_demon has it right, it is FUN to blow by squids with the bags on!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Hi 748girl,

I just can't see your hubby on anything but a superbike! But that is some dilemma - what Ducati isn't fun to ride fast?

Maybe you need to think laterally - rather than look at future models, perhaps something from the past - I can see him on a mid 70's 900SS!

And I agree with Sonic, you're pretty safe - no 21 year old could possibly match it with you!

cheers,

neil.

PS: going to Dargo this year?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Not sure how old your hubby is but I am 36 and ride an st4 and its about as close to a sport bike as you can get with bags that intergrate nicely IMHO. Very capable street bike with some comfort yet can carve. The 916 mill in mine still howls but not like the 1098 mind you. I had one of those for a short time also and he is right its not much fun on the street because it was not even stretching its legs until you are rocketing along at 120 or so.....spend the money on track time and enjoy what it was made for....:D

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get down to PI for a trackday or two to give the 1098 a thorough seeing to. That'll see to the Need for Speed. Is the GT one of those new/old GT1000's Ducati make nowdays?
The GT is from 1972 its a proper one! He has done track days in the past and will do them again, he used to race - he likes to go fast!

Do you really believe it will STOP ?
You can slow it down a little , put it away for a while , Supress it maybe...
It never goes away....
Primal urges are impossible to change
I'll bet He's looking forward to the new Multi.
It has me thinking unrationally too ,I think it is the Ducati mystique...

21 year old blonde ? I think not ,do you know how stupid some of them are???

That is a part of Ducati marketing stragety ,the blonde thing ,OHHH I better let him get another bike so he doesn't go looking for another woman ...

Hey the way I see it is it is his turn and will be your turn next.....
Enjoy the inevetable changes, that is part of the fun.....
The primal urge thing - absolutely he just always always needs to go as fast as he can - he is not a dangerous rider far from it - but he loves the speed - I think he is kidding himself if he thinks he can go slower on something else - cos he will go as fast as he can on whatever he rides even our scooter.

First, and most important here - he can't trade you for a 21 year old blonde. Do you know how rare true Ducati women like yourself are? He'll never find another as good as you!:D

Now about the bikes - the only decent looking one you mentioned was teh Streetfighter. I mean, really, if he thinks he is not "old" enough for a ST, how can he not think a Multi is fugly? C'mon, the ST has it all over that bike!

But I might be biased - I love my ST3...and I'm only 43.
He is 46 - I reckon the streetfighter because I said "are you prepared to just go into the garage and just sit and just look at a Multi, the way you do with the others". I didn't get an answer.

Heck make the present rides track bikes and bite the bullet and get a couple of Goldwings....:eek:
Pfft don't include me in this I'm staying on the 998. Goldwings get along quite well if ridden by a competent rider, just don't want them.

Hi 748girl,

I just can't see your hubby on anything but a superbike! But that is some dilemma - what Ducati isn't fun to ride fast?

Maybe you need to think laterally - rather than look at future models, perhaps something from the past - I can see him on a mid 70's 900SS!

And I agree with Sonic, you're pretty safe - no 21 year old could possibly match it with you!

cheers,

neil.

PS: going to Dargo this year?
Howdy Neil, yes Dargo is on the agenda - it may be on the 748 for me though, Big Red has a couple of issues have to and see a man about some Tig welding tomorrow!:eek: If I can get the alternator cover back soon then all is go. As for the 21 year old - thanks :eek: I am sure he must love me, as I was a sight to behold yesterday, covered in kero, chain dirt and muck (which I discovered smeared across my forehead later) with workboots on (he won't let me wear any other footwear when working on the bikes) - very sexy - not.

Not sure how old your hubby is but I am 36 and ride an st4 and its about as close to a sport bike as you can get with bags that intergrate nicely IMHO. Very capable street bike with some comfort yet can carve. The 916 mill in mine still howls but not like the 1098 mind you. I had one of those for a short time also and he is right its not much fun on the street because it was not even stretching its legs until you are rocketing along at 120 or so.....spend the money on track time and enjoy what it was made for....:D
I know, but I still don't see him on one, Neil knows him and he doesn't see him on one either. I like the luggage thing - he could carry some spare pairs of shoes for me - not work boots!

He just wants a new bike, he wants performance and he will want to test that performance to the limit - it is in his make-up (as said above) he would like a Tricolore 851, but he doesn't like to ride one unless it has been upped to top spec - more money, I know this because he has ridden several.

Please note we cannot afford for him to return to racing again, that is just too much money.

We will wait to see what EICMA brings, a couple of test rides and a few more sleeps he may get over it. Maybe when my new old bike arrives I will let him have some goes on that - except I think the riding position will hurt - badly.

To everyone else, Bill, etc thank you for your replies and keep them coming, as much input as possible is always good I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am sure he must love me, as I was a sight to behold yesterday, covered in kero, chain dirt and muck (which I discovered smeared across my forehead later) with workboots on (he won't let me wear any other footwear when working on the bikes) - very sexy - not.

You know on this forum, we find few things hotter than a woman on her own bike but one of those hotter things is a woman who isn't afraid to work on her own bike. Don't sell your self short there. That's hot!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts