Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently own a 03 999s with a bunch of goodies on it. I've had a lot of fun with this bike and there is definitely more stuff that I can do to it. The other day, I made the mistake of going the the local Duc shop and checking out the new 1198. Ever since then, I've been totally hooked on the new bikes - at the same time I really hate to get rid of the old one too!

The question...

Do you stretch it and own two superbikes with the attempt that you will equally ride them both and one won't get jealous of the other, or do you pick up the new bike and sell the old bike knowing that you will always choose to ride the new bike???

Comments, thoughts, similar situations??

·
Registered
230 Posts
its always nice to have a track prepped bike and a street bike.... just saying..

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
I had at one time three superbikes. Down to two when I totalled one of them. Then I realized two superbikes is one too many and since I wanted a long distance tour bike, I traded my 916 for a newer Multistrada. I now have a superbike and a sport tour bike and I think that is a nice combination. The sport tour allows me to extend my riding range and dream about doing some touring, something I couldn't do before. Plus, the Multistrada is a very capable bike in terms of performance, it can hang with the big boys and actually do better than them on bumpy roads. The 999R is for the shorter runs or meet ups.

It all makes sense now, splitting the duties between the two bikes and not excessively adding miles on one or the other. I have known others that have kept their superbikes or sold off the older in favor of the newer model. It all depends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its always nice to have a track prepped bike and a street bike.... just saying..
I wound agree with you Drat about having a track prep bike, but I would be temped to get a Japanese bike to do just that. That is something that I have always wanted to do, but feel that I just haven't had the time to do it yet!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had at one time three superbikes. Down to two when I totalled one of them. Then I realized two superbikes is one too many and since I wanted a long distance tour bike, I traded my 916 for a newer Multistrada. I now have a superbike and a sport tour bike and I think that is a nice combination. The sport tour allows me to extend my riding range and dream about doing some touring, something I couldn't do before. Plus, the Multistrada is a very capable bike in terms of performance, it can hang with the big boys and actually do better than them on bumpy roads. The 999R is for the shorter runs or meet ups.

It all makes sense now, splitting the duties between the two bikes and not excessively adding miles on one or the other. I have known others that have kept their superbikes or sold off the older in favor of the newer model. It all depends.
So the day I bought my 999s I was currently riding a GSXR 1000. I had gone into the dealer to look at monsters thinking I would pick up a second bike that would be more comfortable for longer trips, but still had some style and would be fun around town. I ended up with another superbike which I love to this day. Now I have another opportunity to pick up a bike which would be more suited for touring... but if I'm going to spend the money I would really be tempted to go for the 1198 instead!

I could always sell the 999s but hate to for a couple of reasons. First, when I bought the bike two years ago it was nearly brand new (350 miles). I could probably find one with low miles again but why when I already have one! Secondly, 999's aren't really selling for what they are worth now, so it seams like kind of a waste to get rid of it. Lastly, the only reason I would get rid of the 999s is to replace it with an R :)

Big decisions, but I feel until I'm 30, who needs a "comfortable" touring bike?? Just go fast - the wind resistance with support your arms and back!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hell, i got 4 super bikes, 2 shouldn't be a problem for you, and remember you only live once so, go for it!!!!

i just purchased a 06 gsxr 1000 to go along with my current crew!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Keep the 999s & think about something like the Streetfighter or a Tuono. You'll have something a little different that performs like a superbike but would be more comfortable due to the riding position.

It also makes it easier to justify having 2 bikes :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
until you are 30 years old? Dang, I'm 41 with more broken shoulders and ribs than I can count and I refuse to say that my 996 is uncomfortable:)

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I have an '05 999R and an 07 1098S. No, it 's not too much owning two superbikes. All depends on your riding preference, if you want comfort then go for an ST.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Keep the 999s & think about something like the Streetfighter or a Tuono. You'll have something a little different that performs like a superbike but would be more comfortable due to the riding position.

It also makes it easier to justify having 2 bikes :D
i want both of those but have a monster. its a sickness :D

but, really, having sold some bikes before that i wish i still had, i wouldn't sell my monster no matter what i purchased to sit next to it in my garage. and as the OP said, the market is brutal when you sell.

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
So the day I bought my 999s I was currently riding a GSXR 1000. I had gone into the dealer to look at monsters thinking I would pick up a second bike that would be more comfortable for longer trips, but still had some style and would be fun around town. I ended up with another superbike which I love to this day. Now I have another opportunity to pick up a bike which would be more suited for touring... but if I'm going to spend the money I would really be tempted to go for the 1198 instead!

I could always sell the 999s but hate to for a couple of reasons. First, when I bought the bike two years ago it was nearly brand new (350 miles). I could probably find one with low miles again but why when I already have one! Secondly, 999's aren't really selling for what they are worth now, so it seams like kind of a waste to get rid of it. Lastly, the only reason I would get rid of the 999s is to replace it with an R :)

Big decisions, but I feel until I'm 30, who needs a "comfortable" touring bike?? Just go fast - the wind resistance with support your arms and back!!
I think once you start riding a more upright touring bike you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. The ease of moving through traffic will amaze you, you can now use your mirrors, your body doesn't feel like killing you for putting it through the torture of a long ride on a sport bike, you can enjoy the scenery now. Many advantages of the sport touring type of bike. It doesn't diminish my liking of of my 999R, the sport tour just opens up some additional doors and just does things the sport bike can't. When I ride my Multi a lot I begin to miss the 999, so that means I like them both.

·
Registered
2016 1299 Pani, 2009 SF1100, 2012 MTS1100evo, 2006 999,
132 Posts
Everything that is sensible in me says get a sports tourer, monster, ST, or multi, but the rider in me says "get another superbike". I rarely commute, only ride backroads or trackdays, and feel so much more committed when riding a superbike. I'm 44 and not ready for a tourer yet......Having said that, anyone out there selling a 998....

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
until you are 30 years old? Dang, I'm 41 with more broken shoulders and ribs than I can count and I refuse to say that my 996 is uncomfortable:)
Still doing 500 mi. days on my 998 at age 63. I've lived with one bike at a time from 1975 to 2004. Since then, I've had two bikes. One for my solo riding and one for 2-up and sport touring. Presently riding my '02 Bayliss 998 and looking for a Monster or SS to buy this winter. Two bikes intended for similar use (ie two superbikes) wouldn't be my thing.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
i'm with John and Bruce; buy a more upright bike so to be able to enjoy two different experiences. if your desire is to go really fast, all of the time, and in a committed seating position, then buy a second superbike.

my .02 (nowadays prolly an .01) :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Recently I had this dilema and after sometime I decided to keep the 999 and the Monster mainly because I love them and they´re two bikes with different riding positions and feel. Call me sentimentalist but now I only plan to buy a 3rd bike - 1098 or 1198 S - in a 3 year period for the track. I know a lot of people that buy/sell bikes within a 2/3 year period but as already stated I think the people that buy second hand are the ones who have Win situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts