Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all - prospective Multistrada owner - looking at a low milage 2015 s touring. i've poured thru the forums (a lot of great info) but have a question about the smaller maintenance items, specifically the good old oil change. From what i understand, if i do my own oil changes, i will still need to bring the bike to the dealer so that they can clear the alert. is this correct? and if so, in your collective experience, does the dealer typically charge for this task? while this isn't deal breaker, it certainly is annoying if true.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dealer charges anywhere from $25 (mine) to an hour of labor.

I paid for them to clear my 22,500 service message. There is a way to use a laptop, cable and Bluetooth ODB connector to clear the message on my 2012 but I realized that I am going to have them clear the 30K message when they do the service, and it won’t come up again for another 7500 after that. So, if I still have the bike in 15,000 miles I might buy the cables/adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
On my 13 the "reminder" cleared when I removed the battery cable for about an hour. Downside I had to reset the clock. YMMV Cheers

·
Registered
506 Posts
hi all - prospective Multistrada owner - looking at a low milage 2015 s touring. i've poured thru the forums (a lot of great info) but have a question about the smaller maintenance items, specifically the good old oil change. From what i understand, if i do my own oil changes, i will still need to bring the bike to the dealer so that they can clear the alert. is this correct? and if so, in your collective experience, does the dealer typically charge for this task? while this isn't deal breaker, it certainly is annoying if true.

thanks in advance.
The service warnings show up when you power up the bike. You cycle the display with one button push and it's gone. It's a small annoyance but it isn't hard to live with.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The service warnings show up when you power up the bike. You cycle the display with one button push and it's gone. It's a small annoyance but it isn't hard to live with.

I was heading out for a six day, 2300 mile trip and I knew it would annoy the hell out of me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was heading out for a six day, 2300 mile trip and I knew it would annoy the hell out of me.
I dealt with my oil warning for a while, then had it at the dealer for desmo service and they reset both so I have 7500 more to enjoy warning free, lol. Next time I will take it in for a reset since I do oil myself. I'm going to message my closest dealer and ask what they charge.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've done all the oil changes myself since the initial break in service. I reset my 2nd trip odometer each time I change the oil, so that's my indicator. I usually change early 5-6K anyway. I agree with the "minor annoyance" comment. I usually like to display outside air temp anyway, so I just move past it. I've got other annoyances that are more pressing than a service reminder. Like the a-hole on the Harley taking up the entire road completely ignorant of what's in his mirrors... And anyone driving a Toyota Prius. ;-)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've done all the oil changes myself since the initial break in service. I reset my 2nd trip odometer each time I change the oil, so that's my indicator. I usually change early 5-6K anyway. I agree with the "minor annoyance" comment. I usually like to display outside air temp anyway, so I just move past it. I've got other annoyances that are more pressing than a service reminder. Like the a-hole on the Harley taking up the entire road completely ignorant of what's in his mirrors... And anyone driving a Toyota Prius. ;-)

I just changed mine at 5K and damn it was dark.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,849 Posts
The last time the dealer reset the light for me cost somewhere in the $50-$60 range.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put a piece of white Dymo label tape over the warning with the mileage for my next oil change. Check your owner's manual for other tasks you should be performing on a regular basis. Clutch and brake fluid and coolant are easy to do. Let Youtube be your guide.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all for your input.

i'm 50/50 on doing my own maintenance - when time and skills allow i enjoy the process, but also know there are some things better left to the qualified. that said, i've never paid anyone to change my oil - does that even count as maintenance?

$50 to clear an alert?! i knew cost of ownership was going to be a thing on this bike, but these little "niggles" are starting to add up.

·
Registered
259 Posts

i'm 50/50 on doing my own maintenance - when time and skills allow i enjoy the process, but also know there are some things better left to the qualified. that said, i've never paid anyone to change my oil - does that even count as maintenance?

$50 to clear an alert?! i knew cost of ownership was going to be a thing on this bike, but these little "niggles" are starting to add up.

You don’t even know...

Since I got my used 2012 with 19K on it three months ago and it “just had the 15K service” I have personally done:

Oil/filter
Coolant
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid
Checked K&N air filter
Chain/sprockets
Changed headlight bulbs
Installed front axle sliders
Installed crash bars
Cut off centerstand lever
Had underbelly and passenger footrests powder coated black
Underbelly mod for oil change without having to remove centerstand
Changed from “comfort” seat to Pikes Peak seat
Swapped to Pikes Peak windscreen
Added RAM mount for phone
Installed Kaoko throttle lock
Installed Barkbusters
Installed two finger levers
Installed AltRider brake platform
New RoadSmart III tires after I blew through 90% , and a second rear tire after a major flat
Added wiring for USB charging in tank bag
Installed CustomLED taillight
LED license plate light
Oberon slave cylinder
Replaced a broken hand guard
Changed the oil again after I put on 5000 miles
Installed brake bleeder on the ABS module for rear brake and flushed rear brake again

I did the dealer to replace the fork oil and seals at 22.5K, and also to put in stiffer springs in the front and rear. With labor and parts that was roughly $835.

My heated grips also weren’t working but because that wasn’t disclosed before the sale the dealer covered it. Otherwise that would have been $379 with parts and labor (that’s for just one grip).

I can’t imagine how much all of that would have cost if I had paid the dealer to do everything.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

You won't find any different on any brand of vehicle, car or bike. If you need to book an appointment, take it in, and tie up a tech and equipment, it's going to cost you, and a half-hour is the minimum most dealerships charge. I find the cost of ownership of my MTS very low, but I do all my own maintenance.

FWIW, the cables required for the service notification reset cost about $20, and they also allow you to use JPDiag or other diagnostic software to do things like monitor engine parameters, reset TPS, etc. I have the cables but haven't reset the latest service notification because to be honest it doesn't bother me enough to do it...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You won't find any different on any brand of vehicle, car or bike. If you need to book an appointment, take it in, and tie up a tech and equipment, it's going to cost you, and a half-hour is the minimum most dealerships charge. I find the cost of ownership of my MTS very low, but I do all my own maintenance.

FWIW, the cables required for the service notification reset cost about $20, and they also allow you to use JPDiag or other diagnostic software to do things like monitor engine parameters, reset TPS, etc. I have the cables but haven't reset the latest service notification because to be honest it doesn't bother me enough to do it...
of course a dealer visit will cost, regardless of vehicle. my point is that it was/is my understanding that a 2015 MS required a dealer to clear those alerts. if i can clear them myself (have done this on other bikes) then it's moot point. if not, well, i'm back to my original shock that a dealer would need to be involved for such a common task. and to be clear, i understand that it's just a warning light that can be ignored, but still, you gotta admit it's an annoying point.

can you/anyone confirm that the ODBC method to clear the oil change alert (and others) is possible on a 2015? i thought i read (here?) that this method wasn't possible for 2015 and after.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don’t even know...

Since I got my used 2012 with 19K on it three months ago and it “just had the 15K service” I have personally done:

Oil/filter
Coolant
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid
Checked K&N air filter
Chain/sprockets
Changed headlight bulbs
Installed front axle sliders
Installed crash bars
Cut off centerstand lever
Had underbelly and passenger footrests powder coated black
Underbelly mod for oil change without having to remove centerstand
Changed from “comfort” seat to Pikes Peak seat
Swapped to Pikes Peak windscreen
Added RAM mount for phone
Installed Kaoko throttle lock
Installed Barkbusters
Installed two finger levers
Installed AltRider brake platform
New RoadSmart III tires after I blew through 90% , and a second rear tire after a major flat
Added wiring for USB charging in tank bag
Installed CustomLED taillight
LED license plate light
Oberon slave cylinder
Replaced a broken hand guard
Changed the oil again after I put on 5000 miles
Installed brake bleeder on the ABS module for rear brake and flushed rear brake again

I did the dealer to replace the fork oil and seals at 22.5K, and also to put in stiffer springs in the front and rear. With labor and parts that was roughly $835.

My heated grips also weren’t working but because that wasn’t disclosed before the sale the dealer covered it. Otherwise that would have been $379 with parts and labor (that’s for just one grip).

I can’t imagine how much all of that would have cost if I had paid the dealer to do everything.
to be fair, most of what you list are optional modifications and not truly "fixes" in the mechanical sense. i completely appreciate that one could consider them required for an enjoyable ride (i LOVE farkles) but at this stage, i'm trying to wrap my head around what i can expect in terms of the "required" fixes (fuel sender, etc). regardless, thanks for the list of mods - i suspect i'll be copying many.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, that's true.

There was a decent amount that would typically be done by the dealer where you could save money at home.

Let me know if you want any more info on the mods. I have done a ton of research, although it's mainly for the 2010-2012 model.

·
Registered
39 Posts

By any chance, could I ask you to provide some more info on these cables or connectors? Do you happen to have a link?
Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
More info please! Is there a how to thread somewhere?

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
Bike goes to dealer once a year for the big stuff. I just ignore the little wrench in between services

1 - 20 of 20 Posts