Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sending the cylinder out to a machine shop to have the new liner bored to accept the new piston.

I was following the service manual instructions and heating up the cylinder to 200 degrees to swap out the liners when I noticed that they really arent identical.

The O.D. on them is the same, and the pattern at the top to allow for the bolts to pass through is identical. The bottom end of the liner however is completely different. Is this normal/OK?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I don't know if it's normal, but I would assume you need the slots in the bottom for rod clearance. I'd send it off to someone who's done Ducati cylinders before to have it changed. Syd's Cycles perhaps? They sized the cylniders for the new pistons in my 750 GT.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The curves out of the sides are to clear the crank weights and the square notches missing front and rear are to clear the rod.

They need to be in there Junior..........

Get it done by someone you trust!

Syd's would be my only choice, since they've done THOUSANDS of singles sleeves.

*and because I used to work there......

LOL

Good Luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you free the piston finally?
I had to massacre the piston to get it out. I ended up drilling through the piston at multiple places along the cylinder wall then using a chisel to "connect the dots" of the drill holes. Even with large chunks of the piston missing it still wouldnt budge. It wasnt until I literally removed half of the piston skirt that it dropped out.

I wasnt concerned with the liner since I knew if it was that badly rusted together I would have to replace it anyway. My only concern was saving the connecting rod...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
What a mess! I suppose it shows how destructive condensation is over a long period...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts