Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to remove the cap, adjuster and rod on my 916's Showa forks, the shop manual shows a special tool being used. Is there a workaround for this or another technique to remove these?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I'm lost. I removed the c-ring off the blue damping adjuster, unscrewed the silver preload adjuster and took that off, unscrewed the large red cap, and now it all sticks up 4 inches above the tube but does not unscrew or pull out. I see no nut inside the red cap, nor farther down. Under the red cap I see a white plastic washer(?) and below that a large metal tube with a hole in the side. Where's this nut?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
first, no need to disassemble the preload adjuster as you did. What you should be looking at is the spacer above the spring. You need to compress the spring, then slide a plate between the spacer and the damping rod locknut. Once that is done, you can unthread the fork cap with rebound needle from the damping rod. then remove spring and spacer.

Are you just changing oil or going for a full rebuild?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just trying to replace the fork caps that the dealer f-ed up because he doesn't want to buy the socket that doesn't scratch anodizing. I was following the shop manual, but I think I understand the procedure as you state as it is very similar to the manual. But I still do not see the nut. Is it above or below the red cap?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I'm just trying to replace the fork caps that the dealer f-ed up because he doesn't want to buy the socket that doesn't scratch anodizing. I was following the shop manual, but I think I understand the procedure as you state as it is very similar to the manual. But I still do not see the nut. Is it above or below the red cap?
The fork spacer is the metal tube approx. 1" diameter with the plastic bushing that contacts the fork cap. There are two apprx. 3/8" holes in the tube that are for a spring compressor tool. You have to compress the spring, and hold it in place with a slotted peice of metal that will slide onto the damping rod between the plastic bush and the jam nut for the fork cap.... so, in other words, the jam nut you're looking for is under the spacer. It will reqire two 17mm (IIRC) wrenches to remove the cap from the damping rod.

I'll try to post up some photos of the compressor tool/plate

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ha. I think I've got it. That was the key explanation of the location of the nut inside the tube.

I owe you guys both a cold one!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
here's the fork tools... fork spring compressor and holding plate. The gold tool is a damper rod tool used to catch the damper rod after it falls into the cartridge and to purge air from the cartridge after changing oil.

Cost about $100 for all, including oil level guage from Traxxion Dynamics

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts