Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been tearing my 99 996 down for maintenance and discovered the seal behind the clutch slave cylinder has a crack in it and has been leaking fluid. I obviously need to replace this seal. Do I need a new slave cylinder or can I just find the seal somewhere?

Any advice is appreciated!

This is the seal:

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Your leak is not due to that seal... all that bellows seal does is try to keep gunk out of the push rod. Replace the slave cylinder, it's shot. There are many good choices availabe: STM, Yoyodyne, Evoluzione, Motowheels, etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. What size cylinder do I need? This is the first time I've swapped one.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We use the OBERON Clutch Slave Cylinder 29mm on all of our personal bikes and our project bikes now. At $125, it is one of the least expensive slave cylinders out there.

The 29mm has a very easy clutch pull, it's easy to install, easy to find neutral, the finish is excellent and the reliability has been great.

-M

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the help. What size cylinder do I need? This is the first time I've swapped one.
The aftermarket ones are available in the stock bore if you want to stay with it. If you'd like a little less clutch pull effort (just the lever feel, it doesn't effect the clutch itself) you can get the one Moto replied about, or he can sell you the stock one.

I need to peel my boot back and check, when I see fluid I'll be ordering that one. It's just a question of when...and what color! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use the OBERON Clutch Slave Cylinder 29mm on all of our personal bikes and our project bikes now. At $125, it is one of the least expensive slave cylinders out there.

The 29mm has a very easy clutch pull, it's easy to install, easy to find neutral, the finish is excellent and the reliability has been great.

-M
Ordered. Many thanks

·
9,757 Posts

-M
I can vouch for this. I bought a 29mm Oberon from motowheels and it has proven to be an excellent unit. Nice and affordable too.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
133 Posts
That price sure beats the hell out of the slave for the K1200LT. $300 for a $1.25 packing! No, the packing is not sold separately!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
i have 2 of those 29mm Oberons, 1 on my 999R and the other on the SF.
Best slave I've had so far.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This might be a stupid comment but are you sure the bellows is from the clutch? My 996 slave does not have this type of piston seal. My rear break slave does have a boot that look similar though.

Like I said stupid comment.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep it was definitely from the rear clutch slave cylinder. Found a new bellows on ebay and the oberon has been ordered.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
pjonte: The Pre-2001ish bikes had the old style clutch slave with the bellows seal. It was updated to a new style like most aftermarket slave cylinders that use an o-ring seal in direct contact with the case... referring to the sealing of the unit from outside grime, not the piston seal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anybody here know if you can service a yoyodyne slave cylinder?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts