Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your opinion. I just changed the oil on my 1098 and noticed a green tint on the oil that came out when compared to the fresh oil I was about to use. I am not sure if this is normal with this brand of oil,Ipone R4000 10-40 synthesis? Or I have a big problem?

Is there a sure way to tell. No smoke coming out of the exhaust and it seems to run fine.
I tried to check the coolant level but it's impossible to get the rad cap off without taking "half" of the front end of the bike off.

how much is a head gasket replacement, if that is the problem.

Any thoughts or comment would be greatly appreciated.

New oil on the left and oil with 1000km on it on the right

·
Registered
111 Posts
Id say your fine (no coolant) Anytime Ive seen coolant in the oil it turns a milky gray depending how much coolant is present. And a lot of times it will totally seperate out with the coolant going to the bottom.

·
Premium Member
12,291 Posts
I got two pieces of electrical tape on the coolant resevoir , one cold level and one hot level.When on the side stand ...
I check it every couple of weeks just cause some have had trouble with the MULTIS ..
So far so good..
HAVE FAITH in the bike:D
It will let you know in no uncertain terms if something is really wrong!!!

DOCC is having a track day next week I think @ Mosport, I'll bet lots of friendlies will be glad to share knowledge :)
May 26-28 Bowmanville...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, I checked the antifreeze reservoir and it was full. the contents looked dark but I could be wrong. it was dark in the garage.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
To have a definitive answer you could send a sample of oil to Blackstone to have it analyzed. Google then for details. Head gaskets don't just go, but everything for a good night sleep. They charge 20 bucks or so...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
iF you ever get coolant in your oil you wont need to ask you wil know . It looks like dirty custard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
what they said, it's definitely not coolant.

you will know, with 100% certainty, that water/coolant got into your oil. It turns extremely milky. And believe me, it doesn't take much to make it turn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts