Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
I get more positive comments with the DB Buster out... at low RPM's it's obvious Ducati Twins and HD are brothers. I rode Sunday and we rolled in behind 3 H-D's and a Triumph Cruiser at one stop. We walked off and when we walked back they were all around my bike - they didn't say anything but they were definitely checking it out.

I don't care what you ride... it's all good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I rode behind a Ducati Scrambler and some HD fat boys and a cafe racer build. They were pumped to see me behind them which was surprising. When we stopped at a traffic light they all looked behind and waived. HD and all bikers are cool with me. It's all 2 wheels seems most people like Ducati.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ride Harley and also have Ducatis and MV Agusta. I love them all. Harley guys are always friendly to me on both the MV and the Ducatis.

·
Registered
330 Posts
While just the other day, I helped a Harley guy who ran out of gas near my house.

I could relate, that's happened to me.

Once.

In high school.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I live in Kentucky, just South of Cincinnati. For dealers we have.......a couple of HD dealers, a Triumph, Indian, Guzzi, Honda/Kaw/Suz/Yam
My unscientific observations is the bike ratio is:
- 50% HD
- 20% Other Cruisers (Indian, Honda, Victory, etc)
- 20% Japanese sport bikes/Naked
- 10% Other Bikes: Triumph/Guzzi/Ducati/BMW

I ride a variety of Ducati's and very rarely do I get negative comments. Mostly they ignore, or ask how fast/how much.

I actually find it vaguely amusing when I park something rare like my Paul Smart, or 916 SPS and no-one even raises an eye.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Sort of related ...

Having owned just about all the major brands, here's something I've heard from non-riders almost without exception ...

If I mention that I ride, and they ask what, and I answer "Ducati" or "Harley", they almost always respond with, "Oh, cool!" or "Wow!" or "I've always wanted one of those." or something to that effect. This is without them having a clue of the model, or just how good or bad that particular Ducati or Harley may actually be.

If I answer "Honda" or "Kawasaki" ...

Crickets.

·
Mexican Ducatista
890 Posts
In my country, HD riders are nicer than I am.
Seriously!

To them, I am another riding brother. Someone who shares the two-wheeled spirit like they do.
On the other hand, I am the adrenalin addict who silently despises HDs because they inspire to ride slow and relaxed instead of inspiring to explore your limits (my limits are low, but I still enjoy exploring them).

Back to the OPs question:
HD owners usually compliment my Ducs.
But I am too mean to sincerely compliment theirs.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'll compliment owners of other bikes, if I like the bike. Brand does not matter, I agree with it only matters that you ride.
But some people are very provincial or whatever, they only like their brand.

Sort of like the old Stones line,
He can't be a man if he does not smoke the same cigarettes as me. :laugh:

Most Harleys are too big and heavy for my taste. It should not weigh near half a ton.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Yes I do...the ST3, and the Multi...even my Bonneville....individuals tend to be cool..groups maybe not, but that goes for sportbike guys equally....as in squid row....

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Both my Ducatis receives comments but my 98' M900 receives more comments than my 94' 900SS CR for obvious reasons :wink2:
A couple pics would be nice. You know, for obvious reasons. :grin2:

OK, I'll guess it's because the Monsters are naked bikes.
Not plastic fairing "crotch rockets". :laugh:

Don't call my bike a rice burner!
It is a pasta burner. >:)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I hope Harley does well with some of the more modern models it is finally starting to offer, but it may be too little too late.
Dunno about that ... their electric bike comes in at $30k ... and that's supposed to be what they're using to bring in "new blood".

...Most Harleys are too big and heavy for my taste. It should not weigh near half a ton.
That's a stereotype. ... see pics.

The last 3 images are of the new XG750R DOHC water cooled engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dunno about that ... their electric bike comes in at $30k ... and that's supposed to be what they're using to bring in "new blood".

That's a stereotype. ... see pics.

The last 3 images are of the new XG750R DOHC water cooled engine.
In the last 3 images on your post, is the front brake system removed in an attempt of weight reduction? :p

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Stock Harleys that weight less than a Multistrada and perhaps other Ducati models ... because I guess there are "rules" when debunking negative stereotypes.

:rolleyes:

None of these weigh anywhere near a "half ton". I'm just offering the opposite side of the stereotype, just to be fair.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use to really "blur the lines" between Harley guy and sportbike rider when I owned this. Some Harley guys wouldn't acknowledge my presence, it was as if I was violating the laws of nature. Some Harley guys were all over it, usually made a comment like "If I could afford another bike that is what I would get". I always wear my jacket or a full set of leathers and a full face helmet. I think this has a lot to do with how they view you as much as the bike you ride. A guy with nice roadracing style gear on a Harley? Must be an interloper. By the way, after I did all the mods (basically turned it into a Vance and Hines cup bike) it handled pretty damn good, but still weighed about 515 pounds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I use to really "blur the lines" between Harley guy and sportbike rider when I owned this. Some Harley guys wouldn't acknowledge my presence, it was as if I was violating the laws of nature. Some Harley guys were all over it, usually made a comment like "If I could afford another bike that is what I would get". I always wear my jacket or a full set of leathers and a full face helmet. I think this has a lot to do with how they view you as much as the bike you ride. A guy with nice roadracing style gear on a Harley? Must be an interloper. By the way, after I did all the mods (basically turned it into a Vance and Hines cup bike) it handled pretty damn good, but still weighed about 515 pounds.
Those bikes have aged really well.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts