Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does raising the clip ons affect handling? If so in a positive or negative way? I don't care about comfort, just handling. For you racers, what do you use? Stock height or higher?

Thanks for any help

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Only as it affects your weight distribution and aerodynamics so, subtly, yes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lower clip-ons help to position the rider closer to the front of the bike. That's a good thing on most Ducatis and helps you get in position to hold a tighter line exiting corners. Your hands should be loose on the bars so slide up on the tank and ride it, don't drive it. What I mean is don't ride around with a lot of pressure on the bars.

Choose what makes you comfortable in a racer position for the track. Too much of anything can be bad so don't bolt them to your front axle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
righ now I have helibars that raised the height by 1 inch on the bike, but my bike tipped over and bent the clip on down by about 3mm. I don't really feel any difference but still would like the clip ons to be even. If I put the stock ones back on, would I have to set up my suspension again?

·
Registered
516 Posts
clip ons can effect the handling a couple ways

clip on that get more weight on your wrists should improve front end feedback possibly giving you more confidence.

also the length of the bar and how far they extend out from the forks effects leverage. Longer bars make it easier to steer the bike.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
When I went from the stock one to the FBF bars that raise them very similar to the heilibars, I noticed that on the street the new bars were far more comfortable but at the cost. Now it might be all in my head but moving my hands further from the front axle seemed result in a little loss of front end feeling. The stock bars were better for a tucked in position that honestly I don't need for the street. For the street no big loss but for the track I'd swap back to the stockers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the street no big loss but for the track I'd swap back to the stockers.
Thats the answer I was looking for. I have been doing trackdays with the helibars, would I have to set up my suspension again after switching back?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thats the answer I was looking for. I have been doing trackdays with the helibars, would I have to set up my suspension again after switching back?
No, It won't make that big a difference. I used Helibars on the track a few times and went back to stock. It will steer a little slower because of the loss of leverage but unless you're Casey Stoner I don't think you will notice a difference in suspension. It might give you a little more front sag.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
....also the length of the bar and how far they extend out from the forks effects leverage. Longer bars make it easier to steer the bike.

Think of the bars as a "1st class lever." The longer the bars the less force required to turn the wheel but the more distance (at the end of the bar) required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts