Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Do any of you feel this? How good do you need to be?

5K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  RD52 
Iwannaduc is spot on, but i'll add that i'm the complete opposite, i can't get on with Michelins, at all, and i've persisted for years here and there and the last ones i actually liked were Hi Sports..... how long ago is that!?
I love Pirellis, i'm very front endy in my riding style and tend to push the front a lot, Rosso Corsa are awesome for me, they have a reasonably round profile, different compounds from centre to edge and provide great feel, great feedback and grip but for me, i can tell the difference by about 4psi on the front, the rear i don't notice much difference until there's about 8 to 10 psi difference.

The point i'm trying to make is that we all like different things, and brand is one thing, but profile, compound, pressure can all effect how that brand feels, so one pirelli may not feel anything like another.

My advice would be to decide what type of rider you are, tourer, commuter, track day rider, fast sports rider etc. and choose a tyre that fits the type of riding you do, you wouldn't do track days on an AngelGT, just as you wouldn't commute on Supercorsas....
Whatever type of rider you decide you are look at your choices based on the manufacturers recommendations, a good start is to go with the brand you're riding on now, in the recommended type of tyre because it's closest to what you know, and start with recommended pressures front and rear.

There's lots of talk about Dunlop having firmer sidewalls, pirelli being more supple etc but i have a bike on Dunlop Q4's and three others on Pirellis of various types, stuffed if i can tell that my Dunlops are stiffer, and that's on the track or road, i know i'm slow, and i'm probably very short on talent but the way some talk about it it should be obvious to everyone. well, i can say it's not, so don't worry if you don't notice, i suspect there's an awful lot who say they do but really don't or they're just agreeing with the consensus, or, they're very sensitive/talented.
Concerning Pirelli Rosso Corsa III, you talked about tire pressure, so I have a question for you. The last 10 years I've been running Avon tires and most recently the 3-D model. I found the Avon tires to be extremely stable at all times except two or three times in the life of the tire where the backend would slide a little bit unexpectedly. Avon's also handled road anomalies very, very well, unlike Michelin Pilot's I replaced which would freak out at the slightest bump in the road. The tire pressure I was running on the Avon's has always been 39 pounds in the front and 41 lbs or 42 lbs for the rear tires. This tended to make the tires are extremely accurate and I could put the bike exactly where I wanted at all times. I sold my Ducati ST4 and replaced it with a newer ST3. I'm now running the the Rosso Corsa III. I called Pirelli to ask about tire pressure and their answer was whatever the manufacturer of the bike recommends. I called my Ducati mechanic and he suggested 32 lbs front and 32 lbs back with the Pirelli's. With this setting I'm not getting as accurate steering as I was with the Avon's. My question is: what kind of tire tire pressure have you found allows on road aggressive riding, not on track, and has given you confidence and hopefully accuracy on your Rosso Corsa? Just a note, my Ducati mechanic says the Rosso Corsa are steelbelted where the Avon's are not, and this accounts for the Avon's running at such high pressure where the Rosso Corsa's have pressure restrictions because of the still belting. Any thoughts?

'07 Ducati ST3 ABS 28,000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.