Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching this from Dave Moss.
Do any of you actually feel this difference between the different types of tires? I Had 3 different types of tires on my last bike (not sporty) but i did push them.
I don't remember ever feeling this much of a difference.
I am sure you have read many of my questions... i am researching my next purchase. i have thought about Rossi? III's and Angel GT's....
How good/fast/experienced will I need to be before I try something completely different to know what truly suits me, and not the factory?

PS If you get tired of the questions online... Just move to GA and i will ask them in person all Summer till i know the next level of questions to ask ;)

Thanks in advance Rex

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I am running and liking Pirelli Angel GT2's on my Monster.
I am sort of old and not doing track days and not very fast.
YMMV.

·
Registered
303 Posts
On the track, you'd feel much more nuances of tires than on the road. I no longer ride on the track (the last time I raced was more than 30 years ago!), and I'm not all that familiar with today's tires. Having said that, when I had 899, I had such a hard time with stock Pirelli. It felt really hard, and part because of my weight, I always felt that I can't get enough heat into it during the casually spirited riding. I switched to Michelin Power RS, and the difference was night and day. But then, that's like two completely different characters of tires, it's like comparing sushi and fish and chips, probably.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, So I apologize if this is stupid...
Are both of those different because they were made for different types of rides? Like sport vs Touring?
Or
Because their approach to the same issue was different?
This year (at the VERY least) I will not out drive whatever is fitted... But I want to know if I should vary my selection widely (Early) to sort of find the manufacturer that builds tire the way I like them...
Not looking for the Highest abstract tire ability...

Rex

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Tires are a very personal preference and you'll not glean much from any of us that you'll be able to use. You have to experience what you want in a tire and what is undesirable to YOU.

What I like or prefer, is completely different in feel to another rider. IE, I prefer Michelin these days. There was a time where I wouldn't ride them.

What I learned was, feel and feedback are what I value most. Grip....sure, but that really boils down to feel and feedback. If it feels like there isn't any grip, there probably isn't.

The 2 tires mentioned, Pirelli and Michelin are similar in intended use. No factory is fitting Power RSs to a production bike off the show room floor though. The stock Pirellis are less expensive so they get fit due to the volume of production. There are other Pirellis that are closer to the Power RS in performance though, and would be a better comparison.

Are you going to notice that difference?.....maybe, maybe not. Like I wrote to begin with, tires are a very personal choice. What works for one, does not necessarily translate to what will work for another. I too would prefer the Michelin Power RSs over the stock Pirellis but that doesn't mean that you will.....sean

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I'd be amazed if you could feel a difference in carcass stiffness unless the tires were under inflated. I can feel a difference in profile. I also can feel the difference in wet grip.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Iwannaduc is spot on, but i'll add that i'm the complete opposite, i can't get on with Michelins, at all, and i've persisted for years here and there and the last ones i actually liked were Hi Sports..... how long ago is that!?
I love Pirellis, i'm very front endy in my riding style and tend to push the front a lot, Rosso Corsa are awesome for me, they have a reasonably round profile, different compounds from centre to edge and provide great feel, great feedback and grip but for me, i can tell the difference by about 4psi on the front, the rear i don't notice much difference until there's about 8 to 10 psi difference.

The point i'm trying to make is that we all like different things, and brand is one thing, but profile, compound, pressure can all effect how that brand feels, so one pirelli may not feel anything like another.

My advice would be to decide what type of rider you are, tourer, commuter, track day rider, fast sports rider etc. and choose a tyre that fits the type of riding you do, you wouldn't do track days on an AngelGT, just as you wouldn't commute on Supercorsas....
Whatever type of rider you decide you are look at your choices based on the manufacturers recommendations, a good start is to go with the brand you're riding on now, in the recommended type of tyre because it's closest to what you know, and start with recommended pressures front and rear.

There's lots of talk about Dunlop having firmer sidewalls, pirelli being more supple etc but i have a bike on Dunlop Q4's and three others on Pirellis of various types, stuffed if i can tell that my Dunlops are stiffer, and that's on the track or road, i know i'm slow, and i'm probably very short on talent but the way some talk about it it should be obvious to everyone. well, i can say it's not, so don't worry if you don't notice, i suspect there's an awful lot who say they do but really don't or they're just agreeing with the consensus, or, they're very sensitive/talented.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't know, So I apologize if this is stupid...
Are both of those different because they were made for different types of rides? Like sport vs Touring?
Or
Because their approach to the same issue was different?
This year (at the VERY least) I will not out drive whatever is fitted... But I want to know if I should vary my selection widely (Early) to sort of find the manufacturer that builds tire the way I like them...
Not looking for the Highest abstract tire ability...

Rex
When I was looking for replacement tires, I asked my old mechanic (he's old) who still tracks Ducatis. He said 899's stock Pirelli works great on the track, and mentioned Michelin Power RS is probably more catered toward street riding, so I took his words for it. And I found it to be very different from Pirelli. It felt much consistent through different condition, for instance, Pirelli felt very hard and wooden in 42 degree weather, or in the rain. When I didn't feel that much differences was on a nice summer day and I'd been riding for while, so I concluded that stock Pirelli worked better at the upper end, and Michelin was better at the lower end. And because I use my bike for short (15-20 minutes) commuting, Michelin was better for me. And because I'm a creature of habit, I have Power RS on my 900SS currently.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good stuff guys.
When I replace them will Depend on the condition the tires are in when I purchase. I know I will ride when it's cold. And while I "may" not leave in the rain... I am sure I will ride in the rain. (I actually sorta like to ride in rain a little except for how dirty the bike gets) I have read and watched a lot. I think I am leaning towards the Angel GT's. because they should warm up easier than the Rossi's and others... Plus. Pirelli. But I was watching Ryan F9 (I like his reviews) and he mentioned some others too.

While I cant say I felt the difference in compound or sidewall in the past. I could easily feel the difference in the shape between them.

Keep the opinions coming. It certainly helps

Rex

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I think most, if not all of the street tires are designed to work good when cold or warm, or they’d be compromising most riders for the sake of a few. They need to feel good right away, offer consistent traction and stability. One good cold stop may be all you get. What percentage off street riders get their tires warmed up when they ride ? Certain mountain areas, the rest of us get a few curvy roads. Predictable handling and braking sells a lot of tires, because most riders aren’t pushing it near as hard as they think they are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Iwannaduc is spot on, but i'll add that i'm the complete opposite, i can't get on with Michelins, at all, and i've persisted for years here and there and the last ones i actually liked were Hi Sports..... how long ago is that!?
I love Pirellis, i'm very front endy in my riding style and tend to push the front a lot, Rosso Corsa are awesome for me, they have a reasonably round profile, different compounds from centre to edge and provide great feel, great feedback and grip but for me, i can tell the difference by about 4psi on the front, the rear i don't notice much difference until there's about 8 to 10 psi difference.

The point i'm trying to make is that we all like different things, and brand is one thing, but profile, compound, pressure can all effect how that brand feels, so one pirelli may not feel anything like another.

My advice would be to decide what type of rider you are, tourer, commuter, track day rider, fast sports rider etc. and choose a tyre that fits the type of riding you do, you wouldn't do track days on an AngelGT, just as you wouldn't commute on Supercorsas....
Whatever type of rider you decide you are look at your choices based on the manufacturers recommendations, a good start is to go with the brand you're riding on now, in the recommended type of tyre because it's closest to what you know, and start with recommended pressures front and rear.

There's lots of talk about Dunlop having firmer sidewalls, pirelli being more supple etc but i have a bike on Dunlop Q4's and three others on Pirellis of various types, stuffed if i can tell that my Dunlops are stiffer, and that's on the track or road, i know i'm slow, and i'm probably very short on talent but the way some talk about it it should be obvious to everyone. well, i can say it's not, so don't worry if you don't notice, i suspect there's an awful lot who say they do but really don't or they're just agreeing with the consensus, or, they're very sensitive/talented.
Concerning Pirelli Rosso Corsa III, you talked about tire pressure, so I have a question for you. The last 10 years I've been running Avon tires and most recently the 3-D model. I found the Avon tires to be extremely stable at all times except two or three times in the life of the tire where the backend would slide a little bit unexpectedly. Avon's also handled road anomalies very, very well, unlike Michelin Pilot's I replaced which would freak out at the slightest bump in the road. The tire pressure I was running on the Avon's has always been 39 pounds in the front and 41 lbs or 42 lbs for the rear tires. This tended to make the tires are extremely accurate and I could put the bike exactly where I wanted at all times. I sold my Ducati ST4 and replaced it with a newer ST3. I'm now running the the Rosso Corsa III. I called Pirelli to ask about tire pressure and their answer was whatever the manufacturer of the bike recommends. I called my Ducati mechanic and he suggested 32 lbs front and 32 lbs back with the Pirelli's. With this setting I'm not getting as accurate steering as I was with the Avon's. My question is: what kind of tire tire pressure have you found allows on road aggressive riding, not on track, and has given you confidence and hopefully accuracy on your Rosso Corsa? Just a note, my Ducati mechanic says the Rosso Corsa are steelbelted where the Avon's are not, and this accounts for the Avon's running at such high pressure where the Rosso Corsa's have pressure restrictions because of the still belting. Any thoughts?

'07 Ducati ST3 ABS 28,000

·
Registered
659 Posts
Concerning Pirelli Rosso Corsa III, you talked about tire pressure, so I have a question for you. The last 10 years I've been running Avon tires and most recently the 3-D model. I found the Avon tires to be extremely stable at all times except two or three times in the life of the tire where the backend would slide a little bit unexpectedly. Avon's also handled road anomalies very, very well, unlike Michelin Pilot's I replaced which would freak out at the slightest bump in the road. The tire pressure I was running on the Avon's has always been 39 pounds in the front and 41 lbs or 42 lbs for the rear tires. This tended to make the tires are extremely accurate and I could put the bike exactly where I wanted at all times. I sold my Ducati ST4 and replaced it with a newer ST3. I'm now running the the Rosso Corsa III. I called Pirelli to ask about tire pressure and their answer was whatever the manufacturer of the bike recommends. I called my Ducati mechanic and he suggested 32 lbs front and 32 lbs back with the Pirelli's. With this setting I'm not getting as accurate steering as I was with the Avon's. My question is: what kind of tire tire pressure have you found allows on road aggressive riding, not on track, and has given you confidence and hopefully accuracy on your Rosso Corsa? Just a note, my Ducati mechanic says the Rosso Corsa are steelbelted where the Avon's are not, and this accounts for the Avon's running at such high pressure where the Rosso Corsa's have pressure restrictions because of the still belting. Any thoughts?

'07 Ducati ST3 ABS 28,000
No clue about the construction or how that would affect handling with different pressures....

I have a Diavel that has the RossoIII on the back and the Rosso CorsaII on ihe front, i run them at 36 for the front and 40 for the rear, same as when i ran the previous generation of Rosso, any lower on and on the front and i got uneven wear from heavy braking and a squared off rear.
Those pressures give good life and still plenty of grip, i'm in Australia though and it doesn't get too cold here.

I run the same pressures on my R nine T which has Continental TKC80 knobbies and they're a cross ply tyre, no issues at all on it either.
My 1098R has supercorsas but i run them lower, not sure why but it feels very skatey at anything higher than 32 F&R

·
Registered
96 Posts
A general topic I care a bit about, and bothered to write up related aspects in some detail, see https://www.hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBoard/index.php/topic,1101.msg3009.html#msg3009

The short story of which is Angel GT's are just fine for the track, but the naysayer above doesn't know to bump them up 5psi if you are a 'spirited rider' as they will overheat and go all slippery, and the extra psi keeps them solidly planted. I use 37F / 41R on track, or 33F / 36R solo, and 38F / 45R pillion.

If I use other so-called softer tyres, which I used to on the front 'for safety', they only wear out faster with no evident increased grip when it matters, and take more effort to become comfortable. If I had more than 125HP pushing them maybe there is a case to look at others, but I am yet to be disappointed by the Angel GT's and I sure have given them plenty of opportunities to let me down, but they don't!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I commute year round about 33K miles. And I go through several sets of tires a year. I don't consider myself a great rider or fast but I can definitely tell the difference of every tire brand or type I've tried. I've always been a bit picky and on my vehicles and I can tell if the tires are low and which one.
One a motorcycle I find it easier to tell when a tire is a little low and other differences.
I'm not implying I can take full advantage of every ounce of grip that my tires have.

In the wet it's very obvious which ones work better. And by better I mean which ones I like better.
I ride offroad or dirt bikes and enduros. I'll start with the tires at about 25 psi at home and then ride to the trails.
Once to the dirt I'll let out over half of that pressure and usually not put more in until I'm home.
The last few miles on the street with the lower pressures is always interesting and I take it easy and limit my speed. If I have a chance to fill the knobbies up I will but most of the time I'll just deal with the under-inflated tires.

Tires, like a lot of motorcycling, are very subjective.
When someone tells me, or I read, that they got many more or way less miles than I have experienced, I know they don't ride like me and their opinions, about tires, will probably not be that useful to me.
I'm not saying they are wrong but we definitely have different riding styles or usage. It's always interesting when someone has an opinion well off of what I've found to be true in my riding.

On road, I like good mileage but I don't compromise grip for a few more miles.
I have tried sport type of tires but I think sport touring tires are usually better in almost every condition I ride in. Plus they last longer.
It doesn't rain much where I live but there are many times where water, dirt and gravel will come into my riding area and that's when I trust sport touring tires over pure sport tires.

I found sport tires to work better in a smaller range of environment like on tracks. I haven't ridden on a track in a long time and my experience with modern super grippy tires has been on a lightweight SM. I can slide them but I usually don't ride to the point of having to back it in. I don't use all of the grip that they have and so I've gone back to the sport catagory and like the better wear characteristics and how they break away.

I think you might be lucky in that you aren't bothered by some of the subtle differences between tires. I have my favorites but I also like to try new tires. If I don't like them I know they will only be on for a couple months. If I think they are dangerous I'll take them off. And I have several times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to remember that the manufacturer is way more knowledgeable than we are. This is why so many bikes are ruined by modifications. For instance, the Multistrada has Scorpion Trails (or Trail II's), which were specifically designed by Pirelli for that particular bike. No other tire manufacturer accepted the challenge to create the tire for that revolutionary bike, the four-bikes-in-one concept. Its a fantastic tire, with over a decade now of R&D, which performs to Ducati standards in all four 'categories', or riding modes/terrain. Yet, some people just hate them, because they think they can feel things, or because they're biased by marketing, or because they are just the stock tire so it must not be as good as an aftermarket tire. Most aftermarket stuff isn't good, is a waste of money two-fold (purchase price+excessive depreciation), looks bad, sounds bad, performs badly, and has negative effects on the real performance, efficiency, and reliability of the machine.

I tend to prefer a factory tire or a factory-spec derivative, because the machine itself is typically developed in conjunction with that tire and its characteristics and tendencies.

Scorpion Trails on my Hyperstrada were great. Shinko 705's were horrible, a regrettable decision. Scorpion Rosso III's are now standard on the Hyper. I have them on my HS and they are fantastic for my current riding style, consistent high rev hard tarmac pounding.

Trust the designer, they know best!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Try to remember that the manufacturer is way more knowledgeable than we are. This is why so many bikes are ruined by modifications. For instance, the Multistrada has Scorpion Trails (or Trail II's), which were specifically designed by Pirelli for that particular bike. No other tire manufacturer accepted the challenge to create the tire for that revolutionary bike, the four-bikes-in-one concept. Its a fantastic tire, with over a decade now of R&D, which performs to Ducati standards in all four 'categories', or riding modes/terrain. Yet, some people just hate them, because they think they can feel things, or because they're biased by marketing, or because they are just the stock tire so it must not be as good as an aftermarket tire. Most aftermarket stuff isn't good, is a waste of money two-fold (purchase price+excessive depreciation), looks bad, sounds bad, performs badly, and has negative effects on the real performance, efficiency, and reliability of the machine.

I tend to prefer a factory tire or a factory-spec derivative, because the machine itself is typically developed in conjunction with that tire and its characteristics and tendencies.

Scorpion Trails on my Hyperstrada were great. Shinko 705's were horrible, a regrettable decision. Scorpion Rosso III's are now standard on the Hyper. I have them on my HS and they are fantastic for my current riding style, consistent high rev hard tarmac pounding.

Trust the designer, they know best!
That’s not how tires work in the automotive world. Auto manufacturers purchase tires based on price, and tire manufacturers will produce special OEM tires that are not the same as retail tires, usually inferior.

I would guess that Ducati historically fitted Pirellis as they were both Italian companies. Now that neither is an Italian company, that decision may be based solely on existing contracts, price, or performance. But I wouldn’t agree that OEM is always the best product. Everything is built to a price point, and tires are an obvious place to save money. I’m not saying the Pirellis are good or bad, just that there may be better out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts