Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I went to the Ducati Factory open house at Cliffs in Danbury yesterday and let me tell you, they put on a fantastic event. Champion riders, Reps, Food, Demo rides, etc.

Soooooo, I signed up for a couple of bikes I have not ridden. The 999 and a 800SS.

Weather was really nice. Sunny, but a little humid. About 75 degrees.

First ride was on the 999. The bike handles amazingly easy compared to my ST4s. It does however do one thing that my ST4s never does. I could have fried an egg on my right leg after about 2 minutes of riding.

Now I realize that the exhuats comes up right near the leg, but WTF?

Is there a cure for this? Maybe different shields or something?

I really would like to get a Superbike to play with, but not at the expense of roasting my leg on every ride.

As far as the 800SS, it didn't do it for me. My ST4s outhandles and rides much smoother, with more power to boot. It was actually quite buzzy in the bars. Ride position was horrible. The 999 was much more comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
In short.. Yes. All the superbike´s have sorta/kinda the same problem, unless your talking about the pre 916 models 851 and 888.

The heatshields that are on there stock ARE pretty good. I´ve ridden my 748 without them and believe me, it´s ALOT worse.

But there are fixes.
Bigger CF footrest shields, bigger heatshields for leg can be found on the net.

The pipes can be wrapped in thermal insulation or even ceramic coated to lessen temps.

But basically, your stuck with the problem that the exhaust goes up by your leg. The only real cure is to not ride it slow and have a leg/body positioning that takes the leg away from the heat. My higher/relocated footpegs did some of that for me. Besides... Your leg isn´t near the exhaust if your knee-draggin :)

//amullo

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wear boots, that pretty much insulates your lower leg from any heat. Maybe I just got used to it over the years but my Duc actually dumps less heat on my legs than my K12. The side mount radiators dump the super-heated air right onto both legs when you start moving quickly from a stand-still in traffic. After experiencing it in shorts a couple of times, I'll never complain about any Ducati again.

I also noticed that after replacing all the spacers and bushings on my exhaust heat shield it doesn't get as hot as before.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow...I never have that problem. I ride a 749 Dark...I have 11500 Miles its an 05. Never did roast my leg...But then I am 5'6....It makes my bike look Large since I am not that tall at all....I also fit well on my bike...I usually ride with boots on but alot of time I just rode with my Vans shoes...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have to throw my .02 in when I can. Definitely get the carbon fiber guards, keep your speed up (you won't even notice it then), and don't wear those socks that are in style, the ones that cut off right at your tennis shoe, wear the ones that are a little longer and it actually made a difference for me.

I'd hate to see this discourage you from a great bike because with minimal preparation this isn't really a big deal, like I said, carbon fibre, ankle length socks...

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Yeah, they get pretty damn hot. But I find by spreading my legs they cool off pretty fast. Not very ladylike, I'd say, but it gives quick relief.

Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I should clarify where the heat was .......

I felt it on my right lower hamstring (just above the knee, rear of leg). My hamstring would be just about parallel with the up tube of the exhaust as close as I can remember.

We were going from 25-65mph for about a 15 mile ride. I thought I was going to have burn marks, that's how hot it was. I asked Gary Egan who was there and he said all the superbikes were like that.

Still can't believe how easily the 999 "throws" around.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I have never ridden my 999r or the old 999 without full leathers and I have had no problems with heat as long as I am moving. I have riden my 916 with Levies because I had to and it did get warm on the back of my right thigh but not unbareable. Wearing proper clothing while riding is the most important thing you can do.

·
comrade moderator
26,825 Posts
I ride my 749 in Arizona, often wearing hiking boots that come just up to the ankle. I'm often caught in grinding stop and go traffic, so the bike gets very hot.

I've never felt what you are describing. The bike hot under the seat, no doubt, but never so hot that I thouight I may get burned.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
I´d echo the posts about boots.

I never ride without full leathers, boots and the whole shebang.. So maybe that is why i don´t feel the heat.

One thing that DOES come into play is the catalytic converters.. Those produce massive heat, so removing them might take the exhaust temps down abit. But as I´ve said, I ride a 748. Could it be that the 999R gets hotter then the S or BiP since it has CF underbelly instead of normal ABS plastic?

//amullo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Full gear...then it's a non issue. Why wouldn't you?

I recently took off my carbon exhaust guard and forgot to put it back on.

The heat coming off the pipe is noticable even in leathers. It was borderline starting to bother me while in traffic.

So if the stock exhaust guard is metal, switching over to carbon will reduce the heat. Carbon is amazing stuff. Mine had Kevlar on the back side.

You'll buy it, I know you will, If you hadn't already. You probably couldn't stop thinking abou it.. :) Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
level7 said:
You'll buy it, I know you will, If you hadn't already. You probably couldn't stop thinking abou it.. :) Welcome to the club.
LOL!

It has definitely made me do some thinking about my ST4s which is a super nice bike and I can go for several hours on, BUT..............

·
Registered
584 Posts
It has all been mentioned before, but FWIW... Full gear makes a big difference. When I ride my 999 in my leathers the hear isn't an issue at all. I do sometimes commute on it wearing jeans and when stopped in traffic it is an issue. My right leg in particular gets very hot. I recently installed a 57mm system which came with a CF hear shield and it seems to make a difference compared to the steel one.
I also have an ST4S and while the ST is great for when I need the storage capacity I will always choose the 999 if I don't have to take a lot of stuff with me. However, a couple of months ago I bought a Wolfman Tail Bag and it fits perfectly on the pillion of my biposto, so the 999 in now also a grocery getter!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm 5'11 and ride on the balls of my feet with my knees cupped to the tank. I don't notice a problem. I mean it's warm, but it's not egg frying. If I notice anything I just open my legs and let the air in. Maybe you're too close to it (riding style).

* I also wrapped my exhaust, replaced the stock muffler and cats with Termi's, and put on a carbon fiber heatshield. That might be something to think about.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When I leave the gym after working out and its summer time here, temp is around 110-115 and I am in my shorts……….the 996 cooks the crap out of me. I get goose bumps from the heat, even when I am moving. You get used to it, lol but every once in a while I think about how hot that is. It has not gotten hot enough here this year yet for me to say how hot my Xerox gets. I have noticed a lot of heat coming out of it though and a large part of the time I am in Full gear

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always wear either heavy Carhardt pants or leathers and my faithfull BMW Savanahh boots so heat has never been an issue of any sort.

·
Registered
778 Posts
YES they get friggin hot!!!!
I actually melted a racing boot and it fell apart (yes, fell apart). Alpinestars boot, my first track day on a 916. I am SUPER SHORT, so when I hang off my outer foot isn't touching the footpeg, it is sorta floating (a la Randy Mamola). It so happens that in left turns, this put the calf of the boot (where the plastic alpinestars word was sewn on the boot) on the pipe. It melted. Eventually the stitching came apart.

CF heat shield & footpeg guard cured that problem. And I don't use alpinestars anymore.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm surprised most of the complaints are about the right leg. My experience so far has been that it's my left leg that feels most of the heat. Although that trick that Jus Living mentioned a few msgs up about moving your legs out a little ways from the tank helps, it puts too much weight on my wrists if done for too long. Damn race ergos! ;-)

Too bad, because I was hoping the aftermarket exhausts would help a little by not holding any heat in the cats. Doesn't seem that way from what I'm reading here.

*Dan

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with daponik, it seems like my left leg gets hotter at my calf than my right. I assumed it was because the vertical cylinders catalytic converter is in the muffler on the left side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts