Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was hit by a Prius driver on my 06 S2R Monster and now I've upgraded to an 2013 848 Streetfighter.

I tried to upgrade the headlight to HID, but was having all kind of problems with poor ignition from the ballast, with and without a relay. I read through the owners manual (pg. 74) and found that my bike is equipped with a "gradual start" headlight. The manual says it takes about 3 seconds for the bulb to receive full power. It's is preventing me from installing the HIDs.

Is this gradual start new for the 13's or do all the model have them? I ask because I've read some articles online where people have successfully installed HID on their Streetfighters, and there are some vendors that sell a Streetfighter HID kit.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
they all have gradual headlight function but that "shouldnt" be a problem for the ballast...maybe the one you are using requires more power to work properly?

·
Registered
635 Posts
If the relay is wired properly, wherein a switched power wire is used only to close the relay for the HID ballast there should be no problem as the relay draws an almost insignificant current and should function over a wide range of voltages.

On other bikes I've done this to I normally use a switched ignition wire to energize the relay for the ballast (I think there's an accessory wire under the seat you could use) and then I use either the high or low beam circuit to operate the solenoid on the HID unit depending on the individual unit.

If the solenoid on the light needs to be powered for low beam operation which is usually the case, use the low beam feed from your handlebar switch and leave the high beam wire disconnected (since you are now powering on the light with the ignition wire mentioned previously).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ballast I'm using is a no name ultra slim ballast. I tried it on other 12v sources and it worked fine. I think the fact that the bike gradually increases the voltage to 12v is causing the problem. The ballast needs to supply a burst of power to ignite the hid bulb but there isn't enough power with the gradual power.

When I was running the relay, I was using the headlight socket as the trigger. When I turned on the light, I could hear the relay buzzing. I believe this was the circuit opening and closing rapidly due to the gradual start.

Has anyone successfully installed HID into their Streetfighter?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hid

I have, it's easy,
Just use the normal (gradual power) live feed for the relay, and a direct positive feed to the HID kit from the battery (fused of course).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts