Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my newly acquired 1200R with 7500 miles, so I dont know if the sound slowly developed, or if it was always like this.

Im getting a pretty loud sound which sounds like valve noise at 2500 rpm. Is this normal for this motor?
Its got 7500 miles and i know scheduled valve check is not until 30,000 km.

It starts quick and easy and runs great throughout the entire rpm range.

Obviously I dont want to tear it apart to check the clearance if this is a normal characteristic of this motor.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
I would ask a Ducati mechanic to listen to it and tell you what they think. This shouldn’t cost anything, especially if you can take it to the dealer where you bought it or where you do business. No Ducati I’ve had is happy at 2500 rpm and I go through that rev range quickly so I probably might not even notice if it made a noise at that rpm or not. 2500 rpm kind of qualifies as lugging the engine on a Ducati.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not hanging out at 2500...its more like as I slowly roll through the RPM range it starts tapping pretty loud at 2500, then fades away. Like you said, its not very noticeable when I'm on it, which is most of the time.

My local dealer has proven untrustworthy, so thats not really a good option for me.

Just wondering if anybody else's does the same.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Lugging it, surging and making the chain slap.

t_bare

·
Registered
269 Posts
This is my newly acquired 1200R with 7500 miles, so I dont know if the sound slowly developed, or if it was always like this.

Im getting a pretty loud sound which sounds like valve noise at 2500 rpm. Is this normal for this motor?
Its got 7500 miles and i know scheduled valve check is not until 30,000 km.

It starts quick and easy and runs great throughout the entire rpm range.

Obviously I dont want to tear it apart to check the clearance if this is a normal characteristic of this motor.

Maybe it's this ?

If yes, it's normal (apparently)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much Rosso, appreciate you chiming in on this. Its hard to tell from the video, but I think mine is much more noticeable . Might just seem like that since im listening to it live?
Maybe ill video mine then compare videos.

Either way I'm feeling a bit more comfortable with it. Just surprised it hasn't been discussed more.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Melbourne Florida ? You gotta have more than one dealer in the vicinity. Seems like there was a good one south of Ocala, isn’t he still in business ? Having someone who’s heard a few has got to be reliable than describing it to the forum. To tell the truth, my S4RS makes some rattling noises at certain rpms, might even be around 2500. I was doing a really good job of blowing it off until you brought it up. I just hit the gas and sing a little louder. Try “ Born to be Wild “ , “ Born to Run”, “ The News” (Dire Straits). When I can hear it inside a closed helmet on top of that I’ll start to worry.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes you are right, Melillimoto in Ocala is great, but they are 2.5 hrs away.
I just figured I would poke around here a bit, in hopes that someone would say "oh yeah, mine does the same thing".

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Yes you are right, Melillimoto in Ocala is great, but they are 2.5 hrs away.
I just figured I would poke around here a bit, in hopes that someone would say "oh yeah, mine does the same thing".
Seems like that's exactly what you got. I count three people that mention odd sounds in lower rev ranges so far.

Perhaps there's a chance that your hearing is more sensitive to sounds of that frequency range than others.

~gasp~! .... HOLY CRAP .... YOU HAVE BAT POWERS! :wink2:

(that's a compliment, not a cut ... just something to think about)

:smile2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL...yeah maybe.

Although hearing certain frequencies more than others certainly doesnt mean better hearing. According to my wife I'm going deaf, because I dont hear half the shit she says!!!

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
That could be it ! 37 years in a factory, I can’t hear shit ! Get a magic marker, put a line on your tach at 3500, and don’t let the needle go under that line - problem solved. It’s like when I tell the doctor “ It hurts when I do this “ He tells me “ Don’t do that “. Works every time.

·
Registered
488 Posts
honestly mine goes past 2500 RPM so fast that I haven't noticed lol.

If its running good and its not having issues I would just whip it daily and if it doesnt change it's settled business.

My 1200R is loud at idle I think but I like all the mechanical sounding stuff.

I will pay attention though and see if I notice anything. I am more concerned by the soft (non functional) rear brake and the fact that every now and then (like 3 times in 3 months) it dies when I chop the throttle in first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts