Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted a post a while ago complaining about the rear hugger not able to stop stuff get into the shock. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/130138-how-many-you-think-your-hypies-rear-hug-useless.html

Had researched on the internet, I could not find any cheap one that is higher and look good. So I decided to DIY my own extension of the hugger. Here is what I did.

1. Source a piece of rubber (sheet) that can be easily cut into any shape. There are other types of mud guards in the market but they are mostly abs plastic or very hard rubber. It is harder to work on them. Here is what I ordered - a post honda bike mud flap $16 shipped. eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d This rubber is very soft and durable, it has fibre liner inside the rubber for enforcement.

2. make your paper model to shape according to your taste. Due to the shape of my hugger, I decided to make a shape like this. Well, I wish I could have made bigger ones but that is the biggest one I could make out of the rubber.

3. Use utility knife to cut into shape. It is patient work. Do it slow. if wrongly cut, another piece of rubber might be needed. The rubber is very easy to cut, that is why I order this type of mud flap/guard.

4. find out the spots for drilling holes on both rubber and hugger. What I did was, I drilled holes on the rubber piece first, clamped the piece on the hugger and mark the drilling positions, then drilled on hugger. Riveted the pieces and hugger together.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
5. I also used sealer at the place where these two pieces meet beneath. It should stop the water and dirt leaking to the top of the hugger. I did not have the photo of putting the sealer on because that was my last minutes decision, but this photo shows where I sealed it.

Here is how it looks like on bike. Kind of Harley Davidson leather feel...
As I said, i wish I could make it bigger/longer, but that was the largest I could make out of the rubber.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Fantastic fab skills and idea for a definite under baked piece of kit for these bikes. I have a hugger on my bike and am liking what you've done. Maybe someone will see your work and go to the drawing board and create a carbon extension or a longer hugger. Thanks for sharing, nice pictorial.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Damn! I figured id open this thread and see some ugly monstrosity hangin off the back of a good lookin hyper. Boy was i wrong!! Simple and super clean looking, impressive job nethern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts