Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new motor is coming along nicely.
I'll be needing to make some oil lines to feed the Camshaft End Covers.
For those of you that have done this, what size ID lines did you use? Can you recommend a good source?
I'll also be making new lines for the oil cooler, so if there's a one-stop-shop for all the fittings and hoses that would be ideal.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,309 Posts
Been contemplating doing this too Limey. It appears that there are a coupla ways that you can do it.

In pic 1 it appears that the guy simply went with standard JIC 6 fittings and braided steel oil cooler hose. With the exception of the two "T" fittings that you'll need for the oiling line to the cam caps you can get all the rest of the fittings and oil cooler hose from Ducati Kaemna.
Listed I.D. size on that steel braided oil cooler hose is 5.56mm.

Click me.>>>Tuning-Teile kaufen und Tuning Tips | Ducati & Aprilia-Tuning Kämna

In pic 2 the guy went with a one piece pressed fitting hose and banjo bolts at the cam caps. No info on this style though,still researching it.

Whatever you come up with post up some pics,I'd be interested to see what you did.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
This is a new concept for me. What does this do, how does it help, and where are you sourcing the oil from?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen it done a few different ways.
What I'd like to do is a double banjo from what is usually the oil pressure sender. That would then feed oil to each of the camshaft end caps instead.
I would then like to put the pressure sender into the oil cooler line (another member here does that, I think it is standard on the 1098R?)
I've seen a few people run oil to the camshafts, (Chris K/ducatitech if you look at the 102hp heads; that's the first place I saw it)
I'd like to know if changes to the seals on the bearings inside the heads are also needed to make this work properly.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
One of the usual reasons the oil is fed to the camshafts is that often with extensive porting you break into an oil passage, closing off the oil feed through the cylinder and feeding the top end externally is necessary in those situations. On ported head race motors this is often the cause. Another reason is getting cooler oil to the top end, oil fed from the cooler is best but oil that has not been traveling through the cylinders to get to the heads is better than nothing.

There is no downside to doing what you are planning out side of cost so if you like the look or have a very built motor that has cooling issues it is one thing to help. A 2nd cooler helps more but again this might help a little too.

The cooler lines are standard hydraulic lines so your local speed shop may be able to make you a set of something fancy but if it is purely functional any tractor/car shop can make hydraulic lines that work. For the oil feel lines I have Spiegler custom make them , at first they were unsure as they had a shop complain the hose size was too small. I dissected a OEM ducati oil feed line from a superbike and found the oem to be slightly smaller ID so I have been using Spiegler's lines for years with no issues. Including a ds1000 race motor that we added dual coolers to, temps dropped noticably with the combination of the 2 mods.

No changes to the seals will be needed but when we feed the cams oil we plug the old oil feed in the cases. I do this at the case surface but anywhere should be fine as long as you remember it will see full oil pressure at any point below the plug.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting, thanks ducvet.
Do you always plug the old oil feed when you feed oil to the camshaft end cover? Is there a concern in having oil fed to the heads from both places?
(My heads are J Precision, dual spark, ST2 cams, cylinders are 944.)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Looking at the picture of your motor in the first post it looks like you have oil cooled cylinders. This means you cannot plug the fed at the cases or you will not have any oil fed into the cylinders, you would need to plug at the head. Right where the cam block gets fed into the head.

Is it bad to overfeed? I do not know how much of an issue it would be My concerns would be not returning the oil from the head fast enough so flooding the top end. I can tell you we have not let any out that were duel fed and this dates back to the BCM days, Bruce made sure we plugged them and that is good enough for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts