Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Thanks t_bare!
Finally got it back on in the correct position. Rotated the engine a couple of times to make sure, and the marks rotate back to the correct position and are even.
I checked that the cams were properly aligned to one another simply by counting the number of teeth between the pointers on the pulleys.
For others in the same predicament, don't even bother trying to get the vertical belt on with the tension pulley in place. It is a very tight fit, even with the pulley fully loosened. I removed the tension pulley completely then fit the belt over the cams. There isn't much space to refit the tension pulley, but it's easier than wrestling with the belt on the cams.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Still Available?

I know this is an old thread, but the information in it was gold! I had saved the link for when the time came to do my own adjustment, but now it just sends me to the single picture on Photobucket.

Does anyone know if the original write up is still available anywhere? It would really be helpful!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I'd try to view photo bucket on a different computer. I just tried it and it still worked for me.

I know this is an old thread, but the information in it was gold! I had saved the link for when the time came to do my own adjustment, but now it just sends me to the single picture on Photobucket.

Does anyone know if the original write up is still available anywhere? It would really be helpful!

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
There are quite a few folks who do their own Desmo service... it's a big job to tackle but seems like it's manageable if you're reasonably mechanically inclined (though I'll give kudos to anyone taking on a major service). I've never really considered doing it myself because while I've done top end work on cars over the years and had good success after a few disasters when I was a teen, I know it generally takes me quite a bit longer than the shop to do a job and my multi has taken on average 10 hours for Desmo service. Given the time requirement I'm financially a LOT better off just going to work for the day and paying the shop to do it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I know what you mean Dave ,I'm a little skeptical about the half-ring ( in the shim , I think ) installation and would like to see a good series of snapshots of that procedure including any special tool requirements . I won't have to do mine for a while and am still on the fence whether to tackle it myself or not .

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Yea and I'm not even taking into consideration the likelihood that I'll bugger something up... or drop something into the engine... or break off a stud or any of a thousand other dumbass things I'm almost certain to do if I try to do it myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Done my 45k mile (@48k 🙂. ) . Had to replace 5 closer shims. Used 3 new ones and swapped 2.
It runs great now. Thanks for your guide - used 3 times now!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice, my 2013 is due in 1400 miles......so sometime in October, got belts and sparkplugs ready. I need to rent the tools when the time comes.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts