Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kudos.

I want to do this myself as well for a winter project. How would one log it in the service record though?
I think he has logged it quite well. Pics of the service, notes on his measurements, and receipts for the parts. Kinda tells the whole story. What more could one ask for?

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I think he has logged it quite well. Pics of the service, notes on his measurements, and receipts for the parts. Kinda tells the whole story. What more could one ask for?
I suppose I could get my dealer to log an entry in the record indicating I did the work myself, especially if I buy the parts and stuff from him.

I want to do this.

·
Registered
750 Posts
First, thanks Cessna for the excellent tutorial. Good stuff. It looks like one of the biggest time consumers is the tear-down/put-back of all the various bits. I've had my tank off 3 times for various reasons and it's a 3-4hr job "round-trip" just to get that done!

On to my question. I had heard (read actually) that when you do Desmo valves, it's an iterative process vs. a one-time setting. What I mean is, you set the opener, then the closer, then have to go back and recheck the opener, etc. until everything is just right. I didn't see this in your tutorial, so is that not the case? It would remove a lot of anxiety, complexity, and time if not.

Again, thanks for the great write-up! :cool:

-SM

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
First, thanks Cessna for the excellent tutorial. Good stuff. It looks like one of the biggest time consumers is the tear-down/put-back of all the various bits. I've had my tank off 3 times for various reasons and it's a 3-4hr job "round-trip" just to get that done!

On to my question. I had heard (read actually) that when you do Desmo valves, it's an iterative process vs. a one-time setting. What I mean is, you set the opener, then the closer, then have to go back and recheck the opener, etc. until everything is just right. I didn't see this in your tutorial, so is that not the case? It would remove a lot of anxiety, complexity, and time if not.

Again, thanks for the great write-up! :cool:

-SM
When I was doing my homework for this project I found that the older ducati's are more involved when doing the valve check & adjustment so I'm sure what you read was not referring to our newer easier to work on Testastretta engines.. Neither of my shop manuals mentioned anything about it being a iterative process.
But I wanted to get a 2nd opinion and asked a mechanic this question and below was his response.

That is a good point. In theory, the opening and closing clearances are independent of each other, since the clearance being checked is the clearance between the opening rocker arm and the opening cam and the closing rocker arm and the closing cam. The shim size does not make a difference on how the valve is setting in the head, only the amount of deflection the rocker arms are experiencing.

It is typical when measuring the clearances on the older desmoquattros and all 2-valve engines to take the reading at the same place: between the opening shim and the opening cam. The difference is depressing the closing rocker to reveal the clearance for the shim/rocker and subtracting the opening clearance to find the true closing clearance. This you see referred to as the loaded and unloaded gap in several manuals and Internet tutorials.
With the Testastretta engines no such guesswork is necessary, the opening/closing rocker-cam interfaces are easily accessible. So I remain committed to the
theory that the clearances are independent of each other.
It is a good idea to check everything before reassembly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
When I was doing my homework for this project I found that the older ducati's are more involved when doing the valve check & adjustment so I'm sure what you read was not referring to our newer easier to work on Testastretta engines.. Neither of my shop manuals mentioned anything about it being a iterative process.
But I wanted to get a 2nd opinion and asked a mechanic this question and below was his response.

That is a good point. In theory, the opening and closing clearances are independent of each other, since the clearance being checked is the clearance between the opening rocker arm and the opening cam and the closing rocker arm and the closing cam. The shim size does not make a difference on how the valve is setting in the head, only the amount of deflection the rocker arms are experiencing.

It is typical when measuring the clearances on the older desmoquattros and all 2-valve engines to take the reading at the same place: between the opening shim and the opening cam. The difference is depressing the closing rocker to reveal the clearance for the shim/rocker and subtracting the opening clearance to find the true closing clearance. This you see referred to as the loaded and unloaded gap in several manuals and Internet tutorials.
With the Testastretta engines no such guesswork is necessary, the opening/closing rocker-cam interfaces are easily accessible. So I remain committed to the
Thanks for the follow up. :cool:

Great news, and makes the job that much more "accessible" for us arm-chair wrenches (or is that wretches? :p ).

-SM

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Cessna
Thanks for taking the time to document your write up for others to learn from and hopefully inspire them if they are so inclined. I’d be doing my own anyway, but you made my job that much easier. A great job! THANK YOU.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks on par with doing valve adjustments on pretty much every other bike, except for those closer shims - don't see them every day. Looks like I'll be doing my 15k maintenance myself as well. Only 7500 more to go! :)

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
If anyone in the SoCal area wants to tackle this, I'd like to come by and "lend a hand" (that's an euphemism for watch, and maybe hand you tools).

I want to do this myself, but I'd rather learn from someone else in person first.

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
interesting, I don't own a multi yet and I'm considering one.
Are the shims the same for all four valve engines? I have a set for my ST4 maintenance and would like to know they will work on the later engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is AWESOME!! This is my first Hi End motorcycle and I was afraid that if I touched anything it would be like giving it the plague to any would be buyers if I could ever part with it. But I've got to be honest, I am at the edge of the budget to keep and maintain it. The bike sure is worth it though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My 15,000 mile service was just done and I was gonna do it myself, but....I'm in the middle of moving and my garage is FULL of boxes, crap/etc., and there no was way I was gonna take her apart w/nowhere to put anything, so....the printout I got from A & S, regarding what was done to the bike, was more extensive then I'd thought (drain/fill/bleed clutch & brake MC's was one). Anyway, thanks for the photo's and write up...I'll be doing the next one!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

I did the 30k service and found 2 openers and 1 closer out of tolerance.
Closer shim was a bit tricky to change out compaired to the opener shims.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I did the 15,000 mile service on my Monster 1100 EVO but that is an air-cooled bike with 4 fewer valves to check. I doubt the Multi would be THAT much more difficult and I may attempt at some point during ownership but I'll probably end up taking it to the dealer for the first major service.

I took this pic when I had it all apart before I started checking the valve clearances.

Thanks for the write up though. I will definitely refer back to it when the time comes. It is a great resource.

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
In some ways it is easier with the 4V engine, in some ways more difficult. Taking a whole valve cover off gives you ample room to work instead of the small ports on the 2V engines. On the flip side, you must do the 4V with the belts off as you have to remove the cams to change shims.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
In some ways it is easier with the 4V engine, in some ways more difficult. Taking a whole valve cover off gives you ample room to work instead of the small ports on the 2V engines. On the flip side, you must do the 4V with the belts off as you have to remove the cams to change shims.
Holding those closing rockers depressed while trying to fit those tiny half rings into the closing shim is a real PITA.

I took my time and it probably took me a total of 10 hours to do this job over the course of a 2 week period... and I had the help of a good friend who did this job himself on his Sport Classic.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Holding those closing rockers depressed while trying to fit those tiny half rings into the closing shim is a real PITA.

I took my time and it probably took me a total of 10 hours to do this job over the course of a 2 week period... and I had the help of a good friend who did this job himself on his Sport Classic.
PITA is a understatement, I have to confess, I got the wife to put those half rings in place while I held back the rocker. You need a steady hand and a lot of patients.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
PITA is a understatement, I have to confess, I got the wife to put those half rings in place while I held back the rocker. You need a steady hand and a lot of patients.
I asked the mechanics at my local Ducati dealer how they do it and they claim to use a big screwdriver... :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 79 Posts