Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did the 15K service myself and wanted to share what I have learned for others to see what's involved and maybe inspire other do it yourselfer's out there.

I'm not a Ducati mechanic just a motorcycle enthusiast who likes the satisfaction of working on my own bikes and saving money :D

My resources for this project were the official Ducati workshop manuel, Ducati Desmoquattro Maintenance & Modification Guide and CA Cycle Works.

Below is the PhotoBucket link to how I successfully checked & adjusted my valves.
Hope you enjoy.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 Valve Check and Adjustment :: IMG_0714.jpg picture by cessnatpa - Photobucket

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
A bit out of my league but thanks for posting this, at least I know where the $ goes when it's time for the svc.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Great stuff indeed. As others have said: if nothing else it helps me understand why the major services aren't cheap.

Hey, your topbox looks a lot like my old VFR topbox - could it be? ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bigger cahunas than me Mate, good one you for having a crack. Great shots by the way and serves to confirm why I go to a dealer. As Clint says "A man's got to know his limitations"

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah nice work, made it look easy and inspires me to have a go in about 3k.

At a guess I'd say about 6 to 10 hours depending on skill, and requires the following:

Tools:
Full set of Allen keys and sockets 1/2" drive
General stuff like screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, feeler strips etc
Doesn't look like any special tools req'd (pullers, jigs, etc)
Oil change gear

Parts:
Timing belts
Shims (they look like Ducati parts not just caps that house shims)
Gasket kit for both heads and anything else that had a sealed flange
Thread locker, probably red, as there were no lock tabs or other retainers
Oil filter and new oil

Other:
A copy of those photos
Multiple viewings of the youtube demo
Pages from the workshop manual with torque settings etc
Six pack of beer for when it's finished ;)

One question: your adjustment was only a couple of thou, did you notice a difference as a result??

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Nice pics ...
Well I gotta know..Now don't lie...
How many extra parts did you end up with???
You know little plastic washers the small screws for the fairings/plastics etc...

Drives me crazy to have even one non essential part lying around afterwards...
What level of skill do you think is minimum to have?
Are the instructions given accurate?
I hate it when they say stuff like engine removed for ease of showing...
Or step one remove engine...
What I'm getting at is do you feel confident with the instructions given that all is Perfect?

Good stuff.
Thanks for posting and sharing...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Airbox removal?

Very nice, and a lotta work which I (like others) have decided not to do.

I started the teardown, but got stymied when I couldn't remove the airbox. This was not really discussed in your slides...how did you remove the airbox???

My airbox simply did not wanna budge. And I didn't want to get too "aggressive"...

So was there a trick to it? Thanks. Again, nice work.

--Doc

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the positive feedback, glad people appreciate it..
I'll answer the question some of you had now...

What belt tension setting method did you use?

I used the harmonic method using a guitar tuner on a laptop, I used Musical Tuner 1.2, I also verified it with a free App on my cell phone called gStrings, they both read the same frequency, I was surprised how easy it was to adjust the tension, I figured it was going to be difficult.

At a guess I'd say about 6 to 10 hours depending on skill.

I think next time I could do it in 10-12 hrs now that I've done it

One question: your adjustment was only a couple of thou, did you notice a difference as a result??

The bike ran fine before and runs no different after, I'm sure I could of got away not adjusting anything and everything would of been just fine, but that's one of the beauties of doing it yourself, you know it's done right.

How many extra parts did you end up with???

None, once I take anything off I always place the bolt/washer back in the hole so there are no mistakes

What level of skill do you think is minimum to have?

That's hard to say, I think if someone is mechanically inclined and has the patience, desire and shop manuals it can be done. IMO it was more time consuming than hard.

What I'm getting at is do you feel confident with the instructions given that all is Perfect?

Yes

how did you remove the airbox???

The airbox doesn't need to be removed, if you notice in the pics it's still installed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!

I like to do my own maintenance but valve checks are the one thing I have avoided, until now. I'm going to make myself learn on a Husky thumper I recently acquired and after seeing your pics (awesome btw!!) I am looking forward to it on my Husky and my Duc.

Nothing better than the feeling of doing it yourself :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
BRAVO!
I've got about a thousand miles to go before mine. Was I'm on the fence about DIY or dealer. You've given me the confidence to DIY - thanks.
What kind of coolant? Regular automotive? Cut 50/50?
I don't remember off the top of my head, but is it also due for clutch, brake, fork oil change at 15k?
I'm thinking it would be worthwhile to get a bike lift to help with this job.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BRAVO!
I've got about a thousand miles to go before mine. Was I'm on the fence about DIY or dealer. You've given me the confidence to DIY - thanks.
What kind of coolant? Regular automotive? Cut 50/50?
I don't remember off the top of my head, but is it also due for clutch, brake, fork oil change at 15k?
I'm thinking it would be worthwhile to get a bike lift to help with this job.

I was on the fence also and was hoping someone else would post a howto before I hit 15k
but decided to just jump in and do it.
I think it's great my write up is encouraging a lot of you guys to tackle the job, but keep in mind if not done right you can F-up your motor.

I just used prestone coolant and mixed it 50/50

·
Registered
76 Posts
wow! fair play to you for tackling that!
i like doing routine stuff like oil changes etc but not sure id have the nerve for this, especially on a relatively new bike!
youve inspired me though! great writeup, thanks !

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Kudos.

I want to do this myself as well for a winter project. How would one log it in the service record though?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts