Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due for the 15k service soon so rather than take my bike in to a shop, I decided I wanted to learn how to do the desmo valves myself. So last weekend I did the 2V Ducati valve adjustment clinic at Moto Shop (no affiliation). Details here:

Ducati Valve Adjustment Clinic
https://www.facebook.com/BayAreaMotoShop

The class was taught by a highly experienced Desmotosport trained tech but I did the majority of the hands on work. After the service everything runs great and I'm glad I did it myself!

The "special" tools are all at Moto Shop available for use during the clinic or normal shop time. Highly recommended for anyone who has the time/inclination to get more familiar with your bike's breathing passages...

Next one is Jan 6 - sign up using the link above.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So you're who they were referring to. They said another HM came in and finished up valves and belts within the day. I really want to take the class on the 6th, but I'd be coming from LA. I think it'll be worth it I'm just scared about weather!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy Lord you should have seen the rain on Sunday. Even though it was a 10 mile ride I was drenched through my rain suit and rode through some 6" deep floods. They were expecting me to bail because of the weather...

Has to be roughly equivalent to a sunny ride up I5 huh? :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Holy Lord you should have seen the rain on Sunday. Even though it was a 10 mile ride I was drenched through my rain suit and rode through some 6" deep floods. They were expecting me to bail because of the weather...

Has to be roughly equivalent to a sunny ride up I5 huh? :D
Hahaha. Holy FUDGE! Now I'm scared about that happening my whole ride up there! I want to ride up Saturday and stay at a friends. But dang that will suck if its pouring the whole way up or down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I want to do this but...

my bike won't be due for a valve inspection/adjustment for a while and there are only three spots available. I would hate to take up a spot from someone that really needed it done. Is there an opportunity to come and watch (be as close to hands on as possible without my bike) and NOT take up a spot?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they have an observe option for less money, but they plan to offer the duc clinic regularly, so "taking someone's spot" is not really an issue...

I'd say if you were going to put in the time to be there, because it's a long day, might as well do the valves on your bike, just me... ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
my bike won't be due for a valve inspection/adjustment for a while and there are only three spots available. I would hate to take up a spot from someone that really needed it done. Is there an opportunity to come and watch (be as close to hands on as possible without my bike) and NOT take up a spot?
I just signed up and I'll be needing the 15k service done by the time I get up there haha. But as protokultur said you can observe. Maybe if you show up, they'll allow you to take pics of my progress and then we'll have some pretty detailed notes and pics from this awesome clinic.

Yes they have an observe option for less money, but they plan to offer the duc clinic regularly, so "taking someone's spot" is not really an issue...

I'd say if you were going to put in the time to be there, because it's a long day, might as well do the valves on your bike, just me... ;)

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
I see a dial indicator attached to the horizontal head in the photo, so they have you measure valve lash with that instead of feeler gauges??

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You press down on the rocker arm, so it gives you the actual gap distance between the closing shim and arm under load.

I don't know if it's better than sticking a feeler in there while you load the arm, but it does give you a direct measurement of the gap (if it's more than zero).

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm sooooo tired from my journey up to Moto Shop in San Fran, but it was so worth it. That clinic was absolutely awesome, Lucy the mechanic was amazing, and Moto Shop itself is a great place to self service your bike.

I ended up checking my valves (they were within spec), practiced changing the shims with themselves, changed the spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, and throttle sync.

Now I just need to buy the ducdiag tool to get ride of the wrench on my dash and for future error codes. I'm going to check my clutch this weekend too and make sure I don't have any cracked springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
151 Posts
What a great way to be able to work on your own bike with the confidence of having someone knowledgeable mentoring you through it. How much did it end up costing?

·
Registered
218 Posts
What a great way to be able to work on your own bike with the confidence of having someone knowledgeable mentoring you through it. How much did it end up costing?
For me it was $180 for the valve clinic. I also changed my belts, valve o-rings, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and air filter which ran me to a whopping total of $280 (not including belt and o-ring costs). Then the gas and food it costs me to travel from LA to SF ran me probably around $120. So the weekend brought me to about ~$500 with the costs of everything. Still way cheaper than taking it to the dealers around here ($900-$1200 for the 15k mile service) and now I know how to do it myself. Just need to buy 2 or 3 special tools.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For me it was $180 for the valve clinic. I also changed my belts, valve o-rings, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and air filter which ran me to a whopping total of $280 (not including belt and o-ring costs). Then the gas and food it costs me to travel from LA to SF ran me probably around $120. So the weekend brought me to about ~$500 with the costs of everything. Still way cheaper than taking it to the dealers around here ($900-$1200 for the 15k mile service) and now I know how to do it myself. Just need to buy 2 or 3 special tools.
That's a hell of a deal, considering you can do it yourself from now on!

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
A few years back or so I hosted a valve adjustment clinic in my home garage. It was open to five Testastrettas and that was no problem filling. Ducatimike and Galaxy were there supplying the technical guidance and the shims of course. It turned out to be very successful and very informative. I was new to the Testastretta powerplant and what a dream that is to access and work on compared to the Desmoquattro. That was the last time I was inside the valve covers on a Duc, I sold my 916 just before and the 999S right after. I rarely put miles on my 999R and I don't expect to hit 6K miles for another couple years. I'm not mechanically inclined so I can safely say I will need a major refresher course at that time. Point being you really don't have to go all the way to SF to attend a workshop, the key of course is having a qualified person in attendance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
A few years back or so I hosted a valve adjustment clinic in my home garage. It was open to five Testastrettas and that was no problem filling. Ducatimike and Galaxy were there supplying the technical guidance and the shims of course. It turned out to be very successful and very informative. I was new to the Testastretta powerplant and what a dream that is to access and work on compared to the Desmoquattro. That was the last time I was inside the valve covers on a Duc, I sold my 916 just before and the 999S right after. I rarely put miles on my 999R and I don't expect to hit 6K miles for another couple years. I'm not mechanically inclined so I can safely say I will need a major refresher course at that time. Point being you really don't have to go all the way to SF to attend a workshop, the key of course is having a qualified person in attendance.
Well yes and I put out a request for help in exchange for anything from food, drinks, and money, but no one was interested or close by. Maybe it was timing, but my bike is being ridden and it was time for it's service. So I sacked up and made the trip anyways. I probably didn't have to since I've read all the manuals, tutorials, and watched the videos on how to do it before heading up, but I wanted someone technical there to show me that I was doing it right. For me it was worth every penny and I can do it myself from now on.:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just got to learn how to check and replace the valves in my Ducati at the MotoShop. Lucy was awesome in her knowledge. She showed me a few other things besides the valves, namely syncing my carbs.

Even though my valves were actually within spec's, I still practiced replacing them.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts