Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I begin this mini-DIY, I just wanted to thank the forum for all of the assistance given, and a special thanks to LostSheep01 for aiding me in the removal of the nose cone.

With that being said, here it goes.....

I started off by pulling my 848 into my living room via my rear porch (..do not try this at home, LOL!). I didn't have ample lighting anywhere else, and the rain made it impossible for me to do this elsewhere. After laying down a layer to keep my carpet from getting dirty, I began removing the fairings.

The fairing removal is fairly straight-forward (..thus, no pictures necessary), and consists of a total of 10 allen wrench bolts located along the borders of the fairings, an allen screw located in the front fenderwell, and two push clips that can be removed with a flathead screwdriver. The allen wrench located in the Ducati toolkit is enough to perform 95% of the screw removals in this DIY.

Note: There are two allen screws located on the inner portion of the fairings near the shocks. The right side is a PITA:

To remove the nose cone, there is a allen bolt that is at the very front/center of the fender well. It cannot be removed using the allen wrench in the tool kit, so make sure to have multiple sizes of allen wrenches available. To access this area, you must remove the black splash guard from the fenderwell (..3 allen screws).

Be careful not to break/snap the hooks (..pictured below; center) that attach the black upper fairing cover to the left/right side portions of the nose cone.

You will also need to remove the rear view mirrors to effectively remove the nose cone. The mirrors are held on by gold-colored allen screws:

After removing the allen screws, lightly tug on the rear view mirror, and unplug it:

There are two 8mm bolts that will need to be removed. They are located near the headlights, and attach the nose cone to the gold colored frame:

Once all bolts/screws are removed, the nose cone will easily slide forward.

At this point, you must remove the caps covering the headlights and remove the halogen bulbs from the socket/harness. Once the caps are removed, you must prepare to drill holes to allow the wiring from the HID kit to pass through. I stopped at SEARS to purchase a stepper bit (...as was instructed in another DIY thread).

Note: You may need to bore the hole out a bit wider than the widest portion of the bit.

Once the hole is large enough for the harness plug to fit through, pass the wires through and secure the silicone grommet.

Install the HID bulb into the socket/harness, and place the cap back in place. You may also want to add some silicone sealant. I didn't, but it was recommended in another thread depending on how loose the silicone grommet is. I also chose to drill on the flattest portion of the cap (..rather than the side) due to ease.

I wrapped all of the wiring in a combination of electrical tape, wire loom and black zip ties. This is personal preference however.

I was quite impressed at the interior part of the fairings. Well done Ducati! I removed the triangle shaped piece from the fairing (..3 allen screws), and attached/secured the ballast and the igniter. I used heavy duty velcro rather than glue or zip ties. Make sure to rub the area down with alcohol for better adhesion:

Once secured, I wrapped the wires in loom and secured the triangular piece back onto the fairings.

Reassemble the nose....

..and connect the plugs and re-attach the fairings.

Note: Don't forget to reverse the polarity for the low beam. I ran around my house puzzled at 3am wondering why my low beam didn't come on, and then I remembered to reverse the polarity (..from another DIY thread), and it worked. To reverse the polarity, just flip the harness bracket.

Reassemble the bike!

HID low beam:

HID high & low beam:

This DIY took me awhile because I left the house for awhile to attend a get-together (..and had never removed the fairings before), but for those of you who know how to remove your fairings/nose cone quickly, this install should take about an hour & 1/2 to 2 hours total.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I didn't use an accessory harness or anything additional with this 55w kit.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

I ordered the accessory harness and I am going to buy the KYO Plug-N-Play HD H11 Harness to avoid any heat issues with the 55watt. Maybe I can do a supplement DIY.

Mind mentioning if both are 55watt or if your low is the 35watt? I like where you put the ballasts, seems like they would stay allot cooler than in the mentioned hole in front of the gauge cluster.

Also, was there a reflector or anything in the low or hi beam that you modified or removed?

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

I ordered the accessory harness and I am going to buy the KYO Plug-N-Play HD H11 Harness to avoid any heat issues with the 55watt. Maybe I can do a supplement DIY.

Mind mentioning if both are 55watt or if your low is the 35watt? I like where you put the ballasts, seems like they would stay allot cooler than in the mentioned hole in front of the gauge cluster.

Also, was there a reflector or anything in the low or hi beam that you modified or removed?

Love the HID kit. I have a question. I bought the PIAA H1 55w=110w bulbs for my 748, these are just a simple swap, however will I have to do any other changes to the bike to adjust to the different bulbs?
thanks. I went with this to avoid having to do the HID kit. I'm just too chicken shit to fuck with electrical wiring on a bike.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Awesome, thanks!

A supplemental DIY would be great bro.

Both my low & high beam are 55w (..I ordered the dual kit). I didn't remove or modify anything during this install. It was truly a plug-n-play install. When I installed my DDM kit on my '07 GSXR, I had to ground the kit. Grounding wasn't necessary during this install.

Love the HID kit. I have a question. I bought the PIAA H1 55w=110w bulbs for my 748, these are just a simple swap, however will I have to do any other changes to the bike to adjust to the different bulbs?
thanks. I went with this to avoid having to do the HID kit. I'm just too chicken shit to fuck with electrical wiring on a bike.
You don't need to alter the wiring for the install. Just unplug one harness connection and plug in the other. Do the HID install. :)

LOL! I'm on it! Thanks Captain. The funny thing is that I thought about those parking lights earlier today when I was returning that $40 drill bit to Sears. This will be the mod that I do after my next mod. I already have the Rizoma Track 77 LED turn signals (...in black), and I'll be installing them along with a fender eliminator with the help of a member on OCMOTO. I ordered them from PJ's Parts awhile ago. PJ's is also where I purchased the Rizoma levers for my prior bike.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Sedan Clan,
What's this, some type of gunk or bearing grease exuding?

Or am I seeing things :)

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sedan Clan,

Good question. I surely didn't notice that while I was installing the HID's, so I'll definitely take a look today and report back.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey what color temp did you go with or did I miss that?
I purchased the 5000k kit. I had purchased a 6000k kit prior (..for the '07 GSXR), so I decided to go with an even lesser amount of blue this time. I actually wish I had chosen the 4000/4500k option, but ah well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

I pulled the nose cone off last night to access the headlight casing. I removed the headlight casing so that I could access the screw/shield bracket located inside the high beam housing. This screw/shield bracket affects the light pattern, and makes the high beam essentially useless. After removing the bracket, my high beam light pattern is much more effective and useable. There is a bracket in the low beam housing as well, but I don't recommend removing it because the light becomes scattered, and it removes the sharp cut-off point of the low beam.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Sedan Clan,

Good question. I surely didn't notice that while I was installing the HID's, so I'll definitely take a look today and report back.
So did you check out that little concern SC?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So did you check out that little concern SC?
Ahhh, yes! I had a chance to check it out a few nights ago. It seemed to be some sort of dried up lubricant/grease (..or something). As I rubbed it, it just flaked off. It hasn't re-appeared, so I figured that it was a product of assembly (!!??!!). :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
fyi-

I was told that HID system install on a Duc voids the mfg. warranty on the electrical system...this is the only reason why I've not done this mod...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was told that HID system install on a Duc voids the mfg. warranty on the electrical system...this is the only reason why I've not done this mod...
I would think that the burden of proof would be on the dealership/DNA (..much the same as it is when a person mods an automobile). I'm not too concerned with it however.

I will say that I love how the Ducati 848 shuts off the power to the low beam after being idle for approximately 10 seconds (..providing that you haven't started the bike)

·
Go for it!
461 Posts
Question for Sedan Clan

Is there a concern regarding water (when washing the bike, rain) getting onto and into the ignitor/ballast or they are sealed well from the weather.

Based on your recommendation and 92GTA, I plan on the 35W with 4500K system. So your 5000K is too blue? Thanks again and nice write-up.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
a word of caution,hid retrofits are illegal in many areas.and pulling out the shields can be blinding to oncoming drivers.be sure to make shure your neither of the above

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there a concern regarding water (when washing the bike, rain) getting onto and into the ignitor/ballast or they are sealed well from the weather.

Based on your recommendation and 92GTA, I plan on the 35W with 4500K system. So your 5000K is too blue? Thanks again and nice write-up.
Not at all! The ballasts are well hidden behind the triangular fairing pieces. I tend to wipe my bike/wheels down after every ride (..or every other ride), so it never gets to a point where I need to spray it with water to clean it. I use water and microfiber towels or one of the various aerosol spray cleaners found at dealerships (..Motul, etc.). I keep my Ducati on my covered back patio with a bike cover sourced from Ebay for $40 (..see below):

As for the color temp, I previously had a dual-6000k DDM kit on my GSXR, so I chose the 5000k for the Ducati (...6000k was far too blue for my tastes). My current kit has a veryyyy slight hint of blue. I would have chosen the 4500k kit, but DDM's site stated that the 55w kit would wash the light a bit. I'm very happy with the kit, and the color production.

a word of caution,hid retrofits are illegal in many areas.and pulling out the shields can be blinding to oncoming drivers.be sure to make shure your neither of the above
You are correct about pulling out the shields, BUT (..and I stress the BUT), I use my high beams during daytime riding and on extremely dimly lit/loosely traveled roads (..i.e...portions of the orange county toll roads for example) where optimum light is a necessity. I didn't pull the shield out of my low beam for the very reason that you mentioned.

FYI: The large majority of bike/automobile modifications are illegal, and I've never cited a motorcyclist for HID's (..nor have any of the officers in my department), so no need to really stress what is widely known.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts