the low fuel light trips? I was 11.2 miles away from a station
when mine tripped today. Good news is the 82¢ fuel light fix
is still working after almost 3 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can make it to the next gas station. I’m smart enough not to go further than that.
That was exactly 11.2 miles. Looking more for a distance that it will go from some one who
has not made it to one. The 2 times it happened to me I did not have a Working low fuel light.
And the 1100 Hypers with there small tanks see the low fuel light often.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
That is a tough question for those of us that have replaced the thermistor. Did we get it at the same height, higher, lower?

Your Mileage May Vary, :)
t_bare

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a tough question for those of us that have replaced the thermistor. Did we get it at the same height, higher, lower?

Your Mileage May Vary, :)
t_bare
Yes I wasn't looking for scientific answer more along the lines of like I made it
20 miles or your Lucky you made it 11.2 etc. Just a kinda ballpark range because
I was getting worried once it went past 10 miles.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yes I wasn't looking for scientific answer more along the lines of like I made it
20 miles or your Lucky you made it 11.2 etc. Just a kinda ballpark range because
I was getting worried once it went past 10 miles.
I get worried when I see it. I made it about 30 miles once coming out of the mountains in N. GA down to Dahlonega, downhill the whole way and good thing too!

t_bare

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I mostly ride in areas where I have an idea of gas station locations. Still, I never push it, because I don’t want to push it. ( get it ?) my S4RS is abysmal on fuel mileage, so I doubt I could get far. Also, swelling tank syndrome, so I can put in a couple of gallons if they don’t have ethanol free and keep stopping until I find it.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Don’t count on someone else’s results. Results may vary. If there is a thermistor height that can vary, you can bet they’re not all the same. The only sure way is to fill the tank, measure fuel height, ride til light comes on, measure fuel height, refill to same height, calculate fuel used. Then you might still have an error if the fuel expanded. Or, drain the tank completely, then add measured fuel until the light goes out. If you stop and fill when the light goes on, then run out anyway, you were going to run out regardless. Don’t ride where there isn’t fuel.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Most I have done is 18 miles after the light came on. My 2010 EVO SP has full Termi exhaust, corsa dynamics velocity stacks, Rexxer tune, and factory gearing. When the light came on I started short shifting gears at around 5k. When I got to the station it took 2.8 gallons. Assuming 32mpg I probably had another 5-8 miles before it was down to fumes.

When I'm planning on longer runs I have 2 of these in my backpack to give me an extra 20-30 miles.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015I0GE6/ref=sxts_kp_tr_2?pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=oi8kD&pf_rd_r=1N4YM3H5BP9EPTVYQE8C&pd_rd_i=B0015I0GE6&pd_rd_w=168RM&pd_rd_r=ec2bc214-f843-4125-bf03-a87e445b067f&ie=UTF8&qid=1544290246&sr=2

·
Registered
58 Posts
16.3 miles in the White Mountains of NH.
The last few miles were downhill, but can't say I wasn't scanning peoples yards for gas cans....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts