Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading up on this issue and heard the DNA does not replace them under warranty as they do in Canada. I then read all these forums on this site and others and decided to wing it and use oven cleaner as some suggested to remove oil and discoloration. I used the yellow can and allowed the bike to heat up first. DO NOT DO THIS. It worked great at first but then I left it on a tad bit too long, maybe 2 minutes too long, and it took the powder coating off the horiz head and burnt the finish. I think the blue can of easy off might be better because it's less caustic, but I'm done with experimenting. Now I have to ebay or source new heads and replace because it looks like trash. Anybody know how complicated/expensive it is to either recoat or replace the head covers? I don't need new internals of course, just want to change the cases or refinish. I might have to spray hi temp color match paint on it until I figure this out. I was going to just mask everything off and try to shoot it on the bike.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
While this is a common, probably unavoidable problem, I don't know if anyone has successfully cleaned the heads/cylinders to something approaching their original appearance. My GT was 2 years old with a little over 3k miles when I bought it, and it already had the discoloration. While I would've liked to restore the original engine luster, I figured any solution would be too labor intensive and would have to be performed too frequently. I've found keeping everything else shiny distracts attention from the discolored engine, and have accepted it as sort of a badge of honor showing that my bike actually gets ridden.

There's a recent similar thread where a member - vf1000ride - said he repainted his but didn't say how. Maybe he'll weigh in here or you can pm him.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I need to know that. I'm hoping DNA does it under warranty, unlikely, but worth a shot. It costs close to 1000 to remove and reinstall the heads.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts