Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to add some more security to the bike in the locking department.
I want to go with a disc lock and see a ton of them out there.
Xena makes a few in the $100 range with a basic alarm built in.

For those who have disc locks what are you using and where do you store it on the bike?

Other lock type advice is welcome as well.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well some advice from somebody who doesn't uses one of those things:
Remember to take it off before you ride off (put something on your handlebar so you remember it's on the bike).
Seen quite a lot of guys start riding and dropping the bike 1 meter down the road.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea that would suck.. I have a remove before flight tag off a Blackhawk from work that I will use over the tach cluster. I will also employ a lever lock with "Disc Lock check" painted on it. LOL

Just want some visible antitheft to go with the blinky light and siren..

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I have one of the Xena locks and it works well, they advertise the alarm as an anti-theft feature and it probably helps there but what it really does is keep you from forgetting to remove it before launch. As soon as you sit on the bike, stand it up off the sidestand or bump it off the center stand it will sound and it is loud.
It fits nicely in the underseat storage on my ST.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Hmmm we have have a Xena, its a big heavy thing - it doesn't have a battery in it anymore. Damn thing started malfunctioning and going off for no reason.

Its not the only one to have done this, several years ago half of a hotel at Phillip Island was kept awake most of the night by one of these things going off. Trouble was three quarters of those people were WSBK riders, or teams. Karl Muggeridge was casting around for some burly blokes to pick the bike up carry it to the end of the jetty and throw it off. Did the owner hear it and do anything about it NO and NO! Can't be much use then.

So remember, disc locks can be useful if you remember that they are there, cracking your front guard, dropping your bike are some of the problems - they can be a visual deterrent though and they will move on to the next bike without one, but also remember some burly blokes can just pick the bike up and throw it in the back of a truck if they want it badly enough - the other trick they use is to mount the disc locked wheel onto a skateboard and then just roll the bike away as well. If they want it they will get it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The disc lock is a nice deterrent; the alarm is less of one, probably. But the newer XX series are supposed to be less prone to false alarms; I haven't tried one yet (though I plan to).

·
Registered
240 Posts
A good disc lock comes with a bright red squiggly cord that extends from the lock up and over your handle bars tied latched onto your throttle making it impossible to forget it's there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts