Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm picking up a demo 1100s and can't help but feel disappointed about the quality of the carbon fiber on the bike. At a distance, it looks great. But at 5 feet or closer it doesn't look as glossy. In fact if you run your hand over it, it feels very rough. Looking at at, you can see some kind of overspray or maybe it's even bubbles...I'm not sure. This applies to the exhaust heat shields, front fender, and fork protectors.

I've had DP carbon fiber on my 996S and it was top notch!

Anyone else have this or did I get the bottom of the barrel?

Dana

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
This topic was covered before and in fact there are different serial #s for the different finishes. Yep, Ducati quality control is not the best but, better than it was....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
So I'm picking up a demo 1100s and can't help but feel disappointed about the quality of the carbon fiber on the bike. At a distance, it looks great. But at 5 feet or closer it doesn't look as glossy. In fact if you run your hand over it, it feels very rough. Looking at at, you can see some kind of overspray or maybe it's even bubbles...I'm not sure. This applies to the exhaust heat shields, front fender, and fork protectors.

I've had DP carbon fiber on my 996S and it was top notch!

Anyone else have this or did I get the bottom of the barrel?

Dana
My S model fell of the stand and had some damage right side heat shield was scratched bad. When they ordered the replacement it was like you described dull and crappy looking compared to the rest of the carbon on my bike. Had it sent back and I'm still waiting for a new one. My guess is that they probably put the crappy carbon fiber on the bike because it's a demo and now they are trying to unload it on you. Do they have any new model's there to compare?

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
Yeah, I think even a KLR has better CF than a Hyper...

·
Registered
290 Posts
When you are riding it and enjoying the Brembo monoblocs, light weight forged wheels and Ohlins rear shock, Im willing to bet you wont give two shits about the finish on the carbon. That being said, send me all your "defective" carbon bits and I'll send you the same bits from my HM Standard. ;-)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
mines shiny but has its flaws bumpy and lots of pits the carbon i got from magical is top notch in finish but fitment was a little hastle.i guess u just figure u pay all this$$ it should be perfect there is no customer satisfaction anymore i suppose.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree, my DP carbon looked dull. I had mine clear coated and man what a difference!! The painter told me it took a few coats on the exhaust panels because they were real rough. Anyway they look excellent now.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I have noticed some not so top notch carbon on some bikes at the showroom mine is acceptable...Maybe they put the scratchy dull CF to distract you from the less than pretty welds on the frame..I haven't had any compliments from my Pipe Welder frends on the Quality of the welds ..

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rich, I agree whole-heartedly! The thought will never cross my mind while riding it...

HOWEVER, the day some hot 18 year old blonde starts "petting" my carbon fiber and decides against a "sleepover" because of the imperfections, I'll be one outraged 1100S owner!

You never know what hand life can deal ya'. I just want to be ready for it!

Dana

·
Registered
43 Posts
The CF on my S sucks. It's very dull and inconsistant when it comes to thickness. After adding some additional CF from Shift-Tech, the stock stuff looks even worse.
I love the bike, but the CH bits are not up to the standards of quality for a bike of this caliber!

Woodchuck

·
Registered
265 Posts
DP started using a new vendor in 08 that's when the dull look came about. It was mentioned before but you could have it sanded down and cleared.

PS - How many 18 blonds could there be in Japan

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have noticed some not so top notch carbon on some bikes at the showroom mine is acceptable...Maybe they put the scratchy dull CF to distract you from the less than pretty welds on the frame..I haven't had any compliments from my Pipe Welder frends on the Quality of the welds ..
Crappy welds? Ducati welds look stellar compared to other motorcycle manufactures. My Harley had welds on it that looked like a three year old did them. Fit and finish on Ducati bikes are great compared to most. A friend of mine just bought 2009 CBR1000RR. I really loved this bikes looks but when I started looking at his, I didn't like it so much anymore. The build quality and materials used looked like crap. The wheel castings were rough, the seat vinyl looked like it came out of a cheap boat. Blah! It made me really appreciate the Duc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
you guys know that only us americans DON'T paint the carbon fiber, were weird like that. Carbon fiber is designed to save weight and be stronger than plastic not stand out as a show piece.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DP started using a new vendor in 08 that's when the dull look came about. It was mentioned before but you could have it sanded down and cleared.

PS - How many 18 blonds could there be in Japan
See? My game has to be spot on so when I do run across one in Japan, it's on!

I already have my eye on some Shift Tech CF!

Dana

·
Registered
196 Posts
Makes me chuckle...like you need aircraft quality CF. None of the carbon bits are structural and really are just for bling. I am guessing both the plastic and carbon parts weigh the same.
No doubt they shouldn't have blemishes of look dull but does it really matter?

·
Registered
290 Posts
HOWEVER, the day some hot 18 year old blonde starts "petting" my carbon fiber and decides against a "sleepover" because of the imperfections, I'll be one outraged 1100S owner!

Dana
If I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me...:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts