Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 998, key and title! So I put the key in, and the oil light is on. So I take off the fairing, find what looks like a window on the left hand side of the bike. There is no oil in it - I don't mean it is low, or it is dirty - I mean the bike is leaned over as far left as it goes on the kickstand, and there isn't a drop of oil to be seen. I don't think the seller drained the oil, he says it ran fine without the oil light (I heard it start over my cell phone), and there wasn't a drop of oil in the fairings. I don't understand anyone draining the oil to ship it, but I'd think they would tell me. Am I doing something stupid? Or did all my oil just evaporate?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Seriously? Take a look at your manual if you got one. The bike has to be level, not leaned over on the stand, to take a reading.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The oil sight glass is on the other side (clutch-side) of the bike. The window you are looking through is the timing sight glass and should always be free of any visible oil level. Check the sight glass on the clutch side of the bike with it on level ground and with the bike standing upright off of the sidestand. You should see the oil there. If not, drain and refill.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was right! I said I was stupid, and I was right about that!

Anyhow, the oil is the correct level, but pretty dirty. I want to do the belts and valves before riding this bike every day, but I wanted to take it around the block a few times before I did the valves. LT Synder says to look at the oil strainer before adjusting the valves - should I do that as well as a full oil change first? Any chance I will be draining my new oil for engine work or troubleshooting later?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Do you really feel comfortable working on belts and valves after your original post?

Also, the oil light is supposed to come on when the ignition is activated, and then go out after the engine is actually started.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A simple oil and filter change is always a good idea on a new-to-you bike.

Checking the oil screen can be valuable in forcasting any major repairs, depending upon what you find stuck to the screen. I would not let whatever you find there scare you the first time you look at it. Who knows for sure when it was, or if it was ever, checked in the past. The thing to do is to inspect it and clean it now, then take another look at it during your next oil change to see what has collected. Different types and shapes of metal that collect are indicative of different conditions.

As for the belts, I just did mine on the 748. It wasn't the most difficult thing in the world (thanks to boards like this) but if you screw up... it's bad. It's definitely a bit more involved than an oil change. If you're not 100% confident, take it to a shop. The oil does not need to be drained to change the belts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you really feel comfortable working on belts and valves after your original post?
Nope! I'm paranoid, anxious and completely unfamiliar with obvious things. But I am less comfortable having the dealer do it - too much $$$ and I need to understand the bike and do my own work.

I do stupid things all the time, but I will figure it out eventually, I've figured out much harder stuff before.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
You cant blame a guy for trying. Do some studying before you tackle even the oil change, much less the belts. Buy a Clymer book and read up so you have a firm understanding of whats what. The next place you should go right now is right here "The Hall of Wisdom". Search any and all threads that apply to your specific bike. After that read whatever else interests you. I have gained a ton of knowledge on my 996 right here. Above all, take your time. Best of luck, dont be afraid to ask questions. They're really smart round here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts