Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have often thought about this same question. Automation = fewer jobs, but the population in the US continues to grow. Not everyone can go to college and very few can live off the minimum wages paid for many service jobs.
Arent we actually tapering off? Lots of countries across the world are now in a population levelling-off or already declining. The Gaia Principle [Covid, yo] or karma or mother's instincts about bringing children into an unstable world, perhaps a combination. Ask any educated 20-something about their thoughts on having kids.. i'll hold your beer!

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I remember the railroads negotiating with the union who wanted to retain the firemen even though there had been diesel locomotives for quite a while.
Gonna be a lot of jobs replaced by 5G. Long haul truck drivers for example.
All the low skill high pay auto assembly ,loggers, steel workers. The new economy hasn’t created a financial equivalent for them as yet. Just for the record, all politicians aren’t crooks but there are stunning examples.

·
Still needs a life.
12,573 Posts
Arent we actually tapering off? Lots of countries across the world are now in a population levelling-off or already declining. The Gaia Principle [Covid, yo] or karma or mother's instincts about bringing children into an unstable world, perhaps a combination. Ask any educated 20-something about their thoughts on having kids.. i'll hold your beer!
I don't know if our national birth rate is going up, down, or plateauing, but we are still gaining population by legal immigration.

·
Registered
876 Posts
OK the big one: US Boomer jobs will permanently disappear with the impending economic cliff. The post-covid rebound will be, what, 3Q2021 or later - and by then there'll be lots of hungry young resumes on the street.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Everything is tribal now. It doesn’t matter how good an idea is, it’s who came up with it.
No thinking involved. Back your guy no matter how stupid the idea sounds. Think for yourself, people.

Reactions: Iwannaduc

·
Registered
876 Posts
sorry, you lost me in the curves on that one 😎 how does it relate to the thread subject of jobs going away?

·
Registered
876 Posts
any driving and flying jobs not carrying more than a few people, and delivery jobs, will go to drones and robots. maybe a few years out, but already in beta testing. airline pilots should be safe because hey, would you get on a drone 737?!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think we don't have donkey punchers, choker setters and whistle punks nowadays. Donkey punch as in the old term, not the "urban dictionary' definition! Be careful what google dishes up in that regard.....
Yes and and no, yarder engineers replaced donkey punchers and as yarders replaced donkeys. Whistle punks were replaced by the yarder engineers, choker setters/rigging slingers. Choker setters are still common here in the northwest and the guys in the brush communicate with the yarder engineer with whistles (talky tooters). A series of whistle blasts tells the engineer when to slack, when when to haul, etc.

·
Registered
876 Posts
oops

41 - 54 of 54 Posts