Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
  • Photograph developer (gees I don't even know how those professionals were called.... the guy who develop the film roll into negatives and actual photos)
  • Telephonist (switchboard operator)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Still have a milkman in Colorado. Didn't know they still existed until I moved here.

Gone:
Clerk/Typist.
Elevator operator.
Haberdasher.
Mimeograph operator.
Cobbler.
Tailors are getting hard to find (not just someone to do alterations, but actual skilled tailors).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Still have a milkman in Colorado. Didn't know they still existed until I moved here.

Gone:
Haberdasher.
Mimeograph operator.
Cobbler.
Mimeograph operator for certain....no one uses those anymore.

I live in what I’d call a medium sized town with a population of just over 100K but we still have both a haberdashery and a cobbler.....though our cobbler is getting on in years now.

I expect he’ll retire soon. I’ve been getting work done at his shop for 25 years. He did all my military boots and shoes while I was on active duty, and my work boots once I retired.

He’d probably been in business for 30 plus years when I started doing business with him. Will certainly be a sad day when he closes up shop for the last time.

Not endangered, quite the opposite.

Village Idiot. :rolleyes:
LoL.....that right there is employment in abundance!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think we don't have donkey punchers, choker setters and whistle punks nowadays. Donkey punch as in the old term, not the "urban dictionary' definition! Be careful what google dishes up in that regard.....

·
Registered
1993 750SS
109 Posts
Newspaper delivery boys...most kids dont start working these days until after high school. Everyone wanted a paper route when I was a kid.

·
Super Moderator
5,008 Posts
I think we don't have donkey punchers, choker setters and whistle punks nowadays. Donkey punch as in the old term, not the "urban dictionary' definition! Be careful what google dishes up in that regard.....
So...looked up "whistle punk" on google and here's what I got:

Definition of whistle punk. : a lumberjack who operates the signal wire running to a donkey engine whistle.

Yeah...that clears it up. 😆

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
From a purely dispassionate, analytical viewpoint, any position which can be replaced by automation.

There are exceptions, but for the most part, if this country is to continue to be relevant, both technologically and economically, then it needs to do so thru automation.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
109 Posts
From a purely dispassionate, analytical viewpoint, any position which can be replaced by automation.

There are exceptions, but for the most part, if this country is to continue to be relevant, both technologically and economically, then it needs to do so thru automation.
That then raises the question of what to do with the unemployed. There has to be a balance. Only so many people can be re-trained and/or re-tooled to do something different. And of course, as automation takes over, even with re-training, there are only so many jobs to go around. There will be even less jobs as automation becomes more and more efficient. And if people aren't working, people aren't going to spend. Not trying to turn this into some dystopian take on humanity's future, but it is what it is. Ice cream anyone? 😎

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Sophomore Member
2,880 Posts
Andrew Yang has a couple of books on just this issue that are interesting reads. The man is trying his best to redirect the workforce instead of having everyone go on welfare/disability/early retirement.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
109 Posts
I'll have to give his books a read. I missed his Joe Rogan podcast, but I heard it was really good. He's got some good ideas.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
109 Posts
An oxymoron, isn't it? lol
I don't know enough about him to say whether or not he's honest. But I have heard positive things.

·
Registered
689 Posts
an encyclopedia salesman.
I did that one summer - door to door encyclopedia salesman - worst job I ever had, but paid well for a college kid, and the perks were great (open tab at a local bar since we got off work so late, nothing else was open). I didn't last long though.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Honest politician?
😂
Whaaaaat??????? There’s no such thing! Like the Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy.

Jobs that have disappeared: soda jerk

Okay, fine. Those disappeared long before I was even born.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I did that one summer - door to door encyclopedia salesman - worst job I ever had, but paid well for a college kid, and the perks were great (open tab at a local bar since we got off work so late, nothing else was open). I didn't last long though.
I almost did that one summer for lack of anything else. I doubt it would have worked out. Last minute Dad popped up with a helper job at the HVAC company he worked for. That worked OK, but installing equipment in an attic in July is no fun. Removing old coal burning furnace from a basement, no fun either.

This is not a job that's going away.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Call Boy (no no not that) for the railway.

Back in the day in rail towns in NSW Aus. there would be a guy who would travel around and wake up the driver and guards for their shifts.
My dad's call boy used to do it on a push bike, one night after heavy rain our road collapsed and the poor bastard rode his pushy into a ditch about 1 metre deep in the dark. He had bark off him everywhere, if I remember correctly he got dad up and then took himself to hospital so as to not make dad late.
My old man resisted getting a home phone until the late 70's because it my do the call boy out of a job.
I reckon it was another bill he would have to pay, my old man was tighter than two coats of paint.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
876 Posts
An oxymoron, isn't it? lol
I don't know enough about him to say whether or not he's honest. But I have heard positive things.
Yang is a bright, plain spoken entrepreneur, who calls out the elephants in the room:
The global oligarchy's already massive wealth rising + global poverty rising + AI/automation increasingly taking the living wage jobs = global joblessness, destitution and social disorder rising.

Alternatively, he proposes that government actually taxes multinational [which is a shell game to hide the money] corp income and pay some level of basic living wage for all.

He's suggesting that this social contract vs the current winner-takes-more capitalism may be best for all parties in the big picture/long run.. I'm of two minds. But it seems obvious that an increasing number of young American adults living in their comfortable Boomer parents' spare bedrooms are finding alternatives to the current arrangement pretty compelling.

·
Still needs a life.
12,573 Posts
That then raises the question of what to do with the unemployed. There has to be a balance. Only so many people can be re-trained and/or re-tooled to do something different. And of course, as automation takes over, even with re-training, there are only so many jobs to go around. There will be even less jobs as automation becomes more and more efficient. And if people aren't working, people aren't going to spend. Not trying to turn this into some dystopian take on humanity's future, but it is what it is. Ice cream anyone? 😎
I have often thought about this same question. Automation = fewer jobs, but the population in the US continues to grow. Not everyone can go to college and very few can live off the minimum wages paid for many service jobs.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts