Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an exhaust upgrade and was curious what it looked like where the sun doesn't shine. off came the header and saw the dirty valves. i am thinking they should not be this dirty. i showed pictures to the mechanic. he told me nothing to worry about, carbon build up is normal but make sure I use 93 gas. the bike run fine and the 30K service was completed last fall.

if I add some Seafoam to gas, it'll clean them up a bit?

Attachments

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,213 Posts
And why did he say to use 93 (US pump grade) octane gas? Does your motor require premium? How does increasing the flash point of the gas reduce carbon buildup?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Seafoam should help clean that up some. Only benefit I would guess of using higher octane gas is some stations put more additives in the pricey stuff.

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
I've been told (could have been lied too...never can tell) that carbon build up can be faster in the higher octane fuels because of all the extra additives in the fuel. I don't have any real data on this...just conversation. YMMV.

·
comrade moderator
27,148 Posts
I've been told (could have been lied too...never can tell) that carbon build up can be faster in the higher octane fuels because of all the extra additives in the fuel. I don't have any real data on this...just conversation. YMMV.
Me too. A slower burning gasoline doesn't burn off deposits as efficiently. Use the lowest octane you can without pinging or detonation.

Higher octane = good is not true. Search the tech section for interesting conversations on this topic. I run non-ethanol 91 not because of the octane, but because of the no ethanol part. If I could run 89 non, I surely would.

Anyhoo, your exhaust valves look fine...no worries!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Me too. A slower burning gasoline doesn't burn off deposits as efficiently. Use the lowest octane you can with pinging or detonation.

Higher octane = good is not true. Search the tech section for interesting conversations on this topic. I run non-ethanol 91 not because of the octane, but because of the no ethanol part. If I could run 89 non, I surely would.

Anyhoo, your exhaust valves look fine...no worries!
+1 - Carbon buildup looks normal and fine

Scott L.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Is there oil on the exhaust port for the right valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts