Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ST2 has 20,000 miles on it. From years of being on the road, a little bit of oil leaking or spilling, there is 'gunk' all over the bike. Not the fairings but all over the insides. I'm curious what is a good method for cleaning up the bike. Can i spray some degreaser on the frame, near the motor, etc. and use a high pressure spray to clean it up? There are places I can't reach. I don't intend on spraying high pressure at close range, but more pressure than a garden hose.

Curious what is okay to do.

thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've started using non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner on my bike after watching my well respected tech use it himself. It works great, then I wash everything with carwash soap and use low presssure water (avoiding electricals). I use a cheap "cycle dry" blower for all the nooks and crannies. I finish with a good wipe down and relube the bits and pieces that need it. Saves lots of time and cuts the gunk well.

I am actually doing a detail tomorrow and looking forward to putting some new bits on the bike too.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I've spent a bit of time cleaning a LOT of gunk out of the nooks and crannies. Used a little bit of simple green and some made sure to hose off all of it when I was done. It was DIRTY. I wasn't sure if it was correct to do or not but on the top swing arm area I cleaned about 1/4" of gunk from the chain area. Hope this wasn't a mistake? It was downright nasty in there and was no doubt one the of reasons i was getting so much crap thrown everywhere.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I didn't shoot a before photo but it's a LOT cleaner. Hand washed, then used mothers wax wit a mother red powerball. Finished with a coat of fast wax on top to buff things out a little more. Most time was spent on the chain/area. YEARS of gunk is now gone....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Looks good ! Gynormus picture though :D
For the gap between the panels use an old tooth brush to remove the excess
wax . Looks likes it time for a new chain ( link by the exhaust is kinked ) .

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
and the rear sprocket could definitely use some touching up!

might want to hit that front tire as well.

cool looking moto...i like those ST's

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New front and rear tire on Monday. The back is totally shot... You can see the steel belt on the center of it. I just bought the bike a month ago, it's been sitting for a while so getting a new front tire as well. I was wondering about the chain-I think it's time too....

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Lookin good! Lots of great riding around Tahoe, and the right bike for them. The passes are awesome on an ST!

Your chain looks done - I can see several bound-up links. Best to get sprockets and chain together. California Cycleworks has good stuff, as do Desmotimes and others.

Have fun!

pg
DD

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Go get yourself some 3-M pads at the paint store and use them on your stainless steel exhaust system. They will shine right up.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, happy to report. New tires, new chain, new rear brake pads.... Bike seems to run smoother with the new chain-NICE.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bike looks great, Tahoe! I bet she does ride smoother on those new tires and chain. What did your electrical issues turn out to be? Hope you have that settled and can enjoy your newly spiffed ST! BTW, I like that red piping on the seat.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seems the electrical issue was the wiring harness that goes into the battery area. My mechanic took all the wires apart, soldered new ones as needed and 1,200 miles so far and it all seems okay. Just got back from a sweet little ride. Truckee to Sierraville, to Loyalton back home via Mt. Rose highway. A quick 150miler.... Through some rain and then HOT 395 and back up to elevation. Needs a quick bath. Flash rain storm hit me hard the first 1/2 hour. POUNDING rain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks like your mechanic nipped it in the bud. A few more rides like that and your confidence in the bike should be back! Glad you are enjoying the bike...wished I had bought that ST when I ended up with my 1100RT! Your bike really looks nice. Always did like the black ST2's! BTW, if you haven't found it yet, be sure to check out:

http://webpages.charter.net/strysnie/ducati/

Lot's of good ST info there!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the link. Hadn't come across it as of yet. Lots of info in there.

I've had a bunch of bikes, this marks my 12th. Most similar bike would be the VFR. I had a late 90's, a 01 and the last one was a 06. They screwed up royally with that VTECH engine. Total crap... Had the bike for about 3 months and sold it. The guy who bought it from me kept it for a week and almost killed himself. If you aren't familiar, the VTECH kinda feels like a turbo kicking in. NOT what you want in a turn, or really ever on a moto if you ask me. I digress...

The ST is a lot of fun so far. I've felt, hmmm, it's not that fast and then I realize I'm going 90mph-smooth. For a ST type bike I'm finding it fairly comfortable. I'm only about 5'7" so all bikes are a little bit of a stretch. But totally tolerable. My confidence is growing with every ride. I've had the bike roughly 1 month, really only able to ride it for 3 weeks. I've put about 1,200 miles on it and all seems good. I was a foolish buyer in that I trusted the seller about a few things that I should have had a mechanic check. Like chain wear, tire life. Some things I should know but don't-or don't know enough about. The electrical issue. I can only assume that they guy who owned the bike before me was a total asshole or idiot-that's still in debate...

Life goes on. It's only money right?

Planning on a decent trip in about a week. Will head north through lassen then take a left to the coast, through San Francisco and down to Monterey and back to Tahoe. Stay tuned....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts