Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking a similar question to another post of mine but more specific...search the whole site came up with something similar but didn't answer the question.

I am wondering if anyone knows or can look in thier service manual to see which wire has a direct rpm output...maybe even the one that goes to the stock speedometer that gives the RPM data...or maybe I could email Ducati... but who at Ducati?

I have a timer that does data aquisition...that is why this question...

I have already tried the inductive method of RPM pickup which is wrapping a wire around the sparkplug wire (did it a bunch of different ways) but I'm not getting accurate data since the signal will drop off at times, and jump around alot...

There are supposed to be a couple different wires in a motorcycle electrical system that send the RPM signal... one is from the ECU, another is going to a fuel injector...problem is I don't know which ones they are...

So any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Your idea of hooking into one of the fuel injectors may work pretty good.

You could even make a pretty good removable jumper harness with 2 parts off of a Volvo in a junkyard. Get one of the injector wire clipos with some wire, and the connector for the oxygen sensor off of the firewall. It has an injector plug on it. Cut the wires to length, and when splicing you can add your pick up wire and have a removable harness without cutting up the one on the bike.

At least that's what I came up with real quick....

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it... the fuel injector wire works perfect... one is ground one has the signal... I spliced into the signal one with a scotch-lok and very smooth accurate RPM read...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts