Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that this site is waning? Are Sportclassics destined to become extinct? Most of the regular modders/contributors have disappeared and there are hardly any new posts about either riding or modifications.

My guess is that the first flush owners have moved on now to other machines and Sportclassics have become collectors items that are rarely ridden. What do others think?

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
I think you're right, people have seen what happened with the Bevels and likely have that in mind looking at the way the SportClassics are already heading. Put it away in original condition for a few years and cash in for retirement...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It seems that the Market were live is soft now prices are down
good clean low mile 06 Sport 1000's are selling for 10k or less.
Highly modded bikes, Paul Smarts, 1000S anything over 14k
are not moving and have been relisted for sale several times.

As a new owner I am having a hard time finding mods exhaust
options are limited with both Zard systems or the Termi 2-1
being the only ones easy to find. I really like the look of the
Arrow system but cant find one. Even a simple Ducati tank
protector is impossible to find. I am going to try tankslapper
instead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As someone who is looking for a monoposto with low miles.. let me know where you are seeing them for 10k or under ;)

I've been looking for the past 3 months and I haven't seen anything below 12k for something in clean condition with sub 10k miles. I'm obviously biased but I do believe there's still a market with people still looking to obtain this grail.

It seems that the Market were live is soft now prices are down
good clean low mile 06 Sport 1000's are selling for 10k or less.
Highly modded bikes, Paul Smarts, 1000S anything over 14k
are not moving and have been relisted for sale several times.

As a new owner I am having a hard time finding mods exhaust
options are limited with both Zard systems or the Termi 2-1
being the only ones easy to find. I really like the look of the
Arrow system but cant find one. Even a simple Ducati tank
protector is impossible to find. I am going to try tankslapper
instead.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that this site is waning? Are Sportclassics destined to become extinct? Most of the regular modders/contributors have disappeared and there are hardly any new posts about either riding or modifications.

My guess is that the first flush owners have moved on now to other machines and Sportclassics have become collectors items that are rarely ridden. What do others think?
I try to do my part and post what I can but for the past 2 years, I have only taken mine out a handful of times. Not because I am trying to cash in but the result of a new baby in the family and hardly anytime to even keep up the house. It looks like this will go on for the next couple of years as well. No problem though, I still get enjoyment out of just looking at them. I occasionally take them out for a quick warm up to temp ride for about 20 minutes. It just makes me look forward to future days when I will be able to consistently ride again. I have had a carbon fiber rear-hugger since last xmas but have yet had the time to put it on.......one of these days!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As someone who is looking for a monoposto with low miles.. let me know where you are seeing them for 10k or under ;)

I've been looking for the past 3 months and I haven't seen anything below 12k for something in clean condition with sub 10k miles. I'm obviously biased but I do believe there's still a market with people still looking to obtain this grail.
Keep looking a Yellow 06 popped up on CL San Francisco about 6 months ago for 9,800
it had less then 10k miles was listed for approx 10days then sold that started my search
for one. The one I just bought was listed on CL for 10,500 it has 5,400 miles it ran on
e-bay for 10,000 did not sell relisted and sold but the buyer backed out was relisted and
I bought it on a best offer. You just missed a Black 06 in Sacramento that had less then
10k Miles and a Termi 2-1 system sold for 11,000. Keep looking they are out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keep looking a Yellow 06 popped up on CL San Francisco about 6 months ago for 9,800
it had less then 10k miles was listed for approx 10days then sold that started my search
for one. The one I just bought was listed on CL for 10,500 it has 5,400 miles it ran on
e-bay for 10,000 did not sell relisted and sold but the buyer backed out was relisted and
I bought it on a best offer. You just missed a Black 06 in Sacramento that had less then
10k Miles and a Termi 2-1 system sold for 11,000. Keep looking they are out there.

@hypermo Man! Will definitely keep looking. Thanks for the encouraging data points!

·
Registered
387 Posts
It is still going on... but sometimes platforms change... ;)
Yes, some of the conversation has migrated to various FB groups.

My GT's a rider. 24,000 miles since I bought it 3 years ago. However I also enjoy the garage art aspect of owning a SC.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
The SC had its heyday but eras do end. My '06 is 11 years old so they're hitting or approaching a decade in age. Their looks are timeless so it's not like they will fall out of fashion; look at Triumph and MotoGuzzi for example, they have their café-style racers so the market is still going for 'em.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
The SC had its heyday but eras do end. My '06 is 11 years old so they're hitting or approaching a decade in age. Their looks are timeless so it's not like they will fall out of fashion; look at Triumph and MotoGuzzi for example, they have their café-style racers so the market is still going for 'em.
Our GT is the same age but we will never sell it. I no longer feel the need to mod it, just ride and maintain it. The last time it was serviced, the mechanic wrote on our service order, "Runs great, smooth power delivery, great brakes and sorted chassis. The most perfect motorcycle I have ever ridden. Let me know if you ever sell it."

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Daily post's with enthusiasts on their journey to make a more perfect SC are pretty much over.

I still have mine, but long ago gave up on the expectation ... "how's this work or what R U modding" stuff. Mostly b/c its perfect / good as it's gonna be. Not looking to make my 10 yr old GT moar perfecter.

The bikes are not dead, but you shouldn't expect high activity on the SC forum.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's some names from the past: Dietrich; GT Rossi; Greg aka Wasp, Does anyone know if they are still around, or have they moved on to other things?

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Here's some names from the past: Dietrich; GT Rossi; Greg aka Wasp, Does anyone know if they are still around, or have they moved on to other things?
Times change and people move on to new projects. Simply there's really nothing new and posts which come up are rehash of old posts. So in that sense, this forum has run its course and I doubt new exciting mods will come up. Are the SC dinosaurs in the sense of extinction due to lost interest? No. People are still drawn by the SCs. When I gather in club meet ups, it's always the SCs which make people pause and look, not the Panigales, etc.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Our GT is the same age but we will never sell it. I no longer feel the need to mod it, just ride and maintain it. The last time it was serviced, the mechanic wrote on our service order, "Runs great, smooth power delivery, great brakes and sorted chassis. The most perfect motorcycle I have ever ridden. Let me know if you ever sell it."
Ditto. Never say never but I don't see myself selling mine either. I've modded mine so much that I'll never come close to recoup what I put into it and it's higher mileage (20K) now means keeping it all that more anyways. It's been my first time customization anything and it's now my one of kind bike which was the goal to begin with. Plenty of Thruxtons and R9Ts out there but I'd say that the SCs remain a higher draw/ desire whether irrational or not and that would contribute to it not going extinction altogether.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Are the SC dinosaurs in the sense of extinction due to lost interest? No. People are still drawn by the SCs. When I gather in club meet ups, it's always the SCs which make people pause and look, not the Panigales, etc.
I have only had the SC out twice now and each time someone has come up and started
asking questions and wanting to talk about it. With the Hyper I get the occasional Nice
Bike but that's about it. Seems everyone likes a bike that has that Old Classic look. I
bought it to ride not as an investment and you would have a hard time finding 2 bikes
more different from each other a 1st gen Hyper and a Sport Classic.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Happens not just to the SportClassics, but also to the Mother of the SportClassics (not my words, Pierre Terblanche said this), the MH900e. I was part of a very active owners group, but it all slowed down. The group / site never recovered from a server-crash.
I used to see MHe's pop-up in the sales forum, eBay and elsewhere. Not any more (almost). One of my riding buddies sold his and the other doesn't get any seat-time in (young family). I myself am currently preoccupied with my wife's health situation and none of my 3 bikes has left the garage in the past 8 months.

These are observations; I'm assuming most MHe's (and SC's) are in private collections, aging with owners hoping to fetch money similar to the (round case bevels). Not going to happen, I think and I will happily take mine out again when the time is right. Others expressed similar sentiments: I will leave it to my estate to do whatever with #225 when I am no more.

Threads with no pics .... sacrilege.

Sport1000 is gone; R100R Classic and MH900e are here to stay .....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that also, the Scrambler has enticed many over to it's charms. The Scrambler followed on from the MHe and the Sportclassics and Ducati designed in a whole catalogue of mods, so that they could suck more money out of owners. They were very clever in creating the Scrambler as a stand-alone brand and making it a bike for the trendies.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think as time goes on things just get more binary. Over time we'll see very expensive garage queens, from collectors looking to get top dollar. I'm not sure where the miles start to take a toll on the price, but my feelings in general are below 5K and below 10K. Once you get over 10K miles, we've done oil changes, checked valves (I think) and it's a full on "rider".

So over time...you'll probably see mostly garage queens trading collectors hands, and the occasional "rider" for a more normal price.

I got my S1000S w/26000 miles or so, from Pro Italia for 10K. So pretty much i paid the maximum price for that bike, it has a good service history and is known within the LA Duc community, but mostly it's a f'n 2v air cooled Ducati.....so I'm fine with the millage. But for the record, that bike had been there for ages. The bike is in totally stock condition, and they had no idea why they couldn't sell it. But for sure, it's the miles.

When I look at 998's that seems to be the status I think these bikes will take. I see 998's with miles for 5 - 6K, and I see garage queens for much more.

p.s. I'm a new SC owner and am counting on this community to help me! I hope we have some people left!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think as time goes on things just get more binary. Over time we'll see very expensive garage queens, from collectors looking to get top dollar. I'm not sure where the miles start to take a toll on the price, but my feelings in general are below 5K and below 10K. Once you get over 10K miles, we've done oil changes, checked valves (I think) and it's a full on "rider".

So over time...you'll probably see mostly garage queens trading collectors hands, and the occasional "rider" for a more normal price.

I got my S1000S w/26000 miles or so, from Pro Italia for 10K. So pretty much i paid the maximum price for that bike, it has a good service history and is known within the LA Duc community, but mostly it's a f'n 2v air cooled Ducati.....so I'm fine with the millage. But for the record, that bike had been there for ages. The bike is in totally stock condition, and they had no idea why they couldn't sell it. But for sure, it's the miles.

When I look at 998's that seems to be the status I think these bikes will take. I see 998's with miles for 5 - 6K, and I see garage queens for much more.

p.s. I'm a new SC owner and am counting on this community to help me! I hope we have some people left!
Right there with you. Just picked up a Sport Classic last month at 26k miles. Got it tuned, prepped and ready to go. Already put 1000 miles on it so I'm definitely going to put some time on this bike.

I'm hoping to keep this bike for a while, as long as the engine will hold up. This has been my goal bike for a long time so I can see myself keeping this while acquiring more :smile2:. Hopefully this community doesn't die out as these bikes seem to love to be ridden.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts