Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw something disturbing on my gas tank, not a bubble, no warping, but cracks caused by heat from the rear exhaust pipe. It is not just the paint that is cracked but the plastic also.

It has not run lean that I know of and the header paint is not burned off.

Anybody else seen this kind of thing? I wonder how thick this area of the tank might be?

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have +8000 miles. About half city, half highway, but rarely any stop and go traffic.

Looking at a parts diagram and at the tank/fuel pump assembly, I think this area is rather thick. The fuel pump bolts in to the tank at that point so there must (I hope) be some beefier thickness to the tank there.

I'm making up a little stainless heat shield at the moment that will bolt to one of the header studs. Maybe some reflective insulation on the tank itself.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just saw something disturbing on my gas tank, not a bubble, no warping, but cracks caused by heat from the rear exhaust pipe. It is not just the paint that is cracked but the plastic also.

It has not run lean that I know of and the header paint is not burned off.

Anybody else seen this kind of thing? I wonder how thick this area of the tank might be?
I would march it right down to the dealer for replacement. Although not the traditional issues that others have had with the tank, it is an issue. I have had 2 tank replacements outside of warranty to date, and will return every year until the issue is remedied.

A heat shield is a wonderful idea, but not the right fix. If this was an issue that couldn't possibly end with the human torch, I wouldn't be so blunt. Take it back and get a new one. Install that nifty little heat shield when it gets home with the new tank.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It looks like a case of the black paint shrinking. Of course I am not here to look at the bike but I am not sure your tank is compromised...

I like your approach with the heat shield though. You could also glue some heat insulation material under the heat shield; same blanket you can buy to wrap your starter on the race car when you run headers.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like a case of the black paint shrinking. Of course I am not here to look at the bike but I am not sure your tank is compromised...

I like your approach with the heat shield though. You could also glue some heat insulation material under the heat shield; same blanket you can buy to wrap your starter on the race car when you run headers.
I wish it was just the paint, but alas they are actual cracks. Obviously they don't go through the tank but hey are plain to see.

Unfortunately I cannot take the bike to a Ducati dealer for several weeks as I am once again leaving tomorrow to work out of state. No dealers open on Mondays of course.

It may not be a disaster though it won't fix itself. It looks like that part of the tank is quite thick. Maybe as much as 1/2" as there are bolts that screw in to it to mount the fuel pump. Anybody out there had the tank and fuel pump off?

I'm not sure how far to push this with Ducati, but the closeness of the tank to the exhaust was a concern to me even before I saw this issue. I thought that surely something this evident had to be thought of when designed. That is why I am assuming (bad idea, I know) that the tank is thick in that location

The simple heat shield works quite well and luckily I had a scrap of stainless sheet lying around. Couldn't find any stick-on heat insulation at home, must have used it all on my racecar. I don't really want to put any type of glue on there until I get it looked at.

Even if you don't get stuck in traffic much, just think how hot the exhaust is when you stop at a gas station after riding at speed. If there is no wind, that corner of the tank will heat soak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe this is what happens when you get 8,000 miles on one tank! I didn't know they were brittle enough to crack. Seriously, I just checked mine and the closest point on the stock flange is 3/4" from the tank. I've had the fuel pump assembly out and it is pretty thick at the flange but I don't think I could relax knowing those cracks were there. I agree with bassphreek - get it into the shop.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
It may not be a disaster though it won't fix itself. It looks like that part of the tank is quite thick. Maybe as much as 1/2" as there are bolts that screw in to it to mount the fuel pump. Anybody out there had the tank and fuel pump off?

The simple heat shield works quite well and luckily I had a scrap of stainless sheet lying around. Couldn't find any stick-on heat insulation at home, must have used it all on my racecar. I don't really want to put any type of glue on there until I get it looked at.
The thickness is an optical illusion as it has a lip on the bottom where you bolt up the fuel pump. I just went out and measured one of mine just inside where the fuel pump inserts and it is only about an 1/8th of an inch (roughly), and it isn't the same thickness everywhere either. I don't have a set of calipers but I just pinched the inside of the tank with my thumb and index finger and the thickness changes substantially from one inch to another. I would definitely try the dealer about this.

Your heat shield is a very good idea and quite honestly if you were selling these I would probably buy one.:think: Good luck with this and tell us how it ends up.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thickness is an optical illusion as it has a lip on the bottom where you bolt up the fuel pump. I just went out and measured one of mine just inside where the fuel pump inserts and it is only about an 1/8th of an inch (roughly), and it isn't the same thickness everywhere either. I don't have a set of calipers but I just pinched the inside of the tank with my thumb and index finger and the thickness changes substantially from one inch to another. I would definitely try the dealer about this.

Your heat shield is a very good idea and quite honestly if you were selling these I would probably buy one.:think: Good luck with this and tell us how it ends up.
Oh well so much for my wishful thinking.

Sorry no production run of heat shields is possible. Maybe one our other members has the access to equipment and material to run off a few dozen of these things. Maybe Paul Smith since he made some aluminum fork guards that are much more intricate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts