Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put some bling on the bike and am concerned about color differences in the red anodized finish between the brands. No one brand makes all the items I'm after or in the design that I like (eg. Pegs, fluid reservoirs, levers, clutch slave, etc). So can anyone comment on red color differences between DP, rizoma, abm, Oberon?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Not sure about other brands, but my red Oberson slave cylinder has faded quite a bit in the 2+ years that it's been on the bike, wish I would've done black instead...

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
to the OP, don't do red. no matter if you got all the same brand, all the parts will fade in color very fast, and sometimes at different rates/different shades...of pink.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here here, my DP red pressure plate faded very quickly and I decided to replace with a powder coated one. I know this isn't the best finish but at least it stays red. Rizoma do some nice parts, my red steering dampener bracket has not faded yet and its been on approx a year.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Here here, my DP red pressure plate faded very quickly and I decided to replace with a powder coated one. I know this isn't the best finish but at least it stays red. Rizoma do some nice parts, my red steering dampener bracket has not faded yet and its been on approx a year.
Yea, but you live in England... I lived there Sven years and if memory serves me correctly... It doesn't exactly shine hot sun daily does it now? :D. One years is about the right amount of time to start fading to pink... Come back in a month :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
ha ha tell me bout it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I won't be going with red.

Any feedback on the gold finish - color stability and differences between brands? Or the silver/natural alloy finish?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
By experience and in talking with the manufacturers I find that a lot of the gold does not match and this is mainly due to material differences. I did not have any issue with fading or gold parts but have had red and some black pieces turn pink.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the other problem with anodizing - beyond the fading issue - is that it is difficult to be consistent with colors even from the same manufacturer. the depth/intensity of color all depends on how long a piece of metal is left in the anodizing bath, how much current is run through it etc. you could anodize two different pieces of metal (different sizes) in the same bath and come out with a different color...

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
the other problem with anodizing - beyond the fading issue - is that it is difficult to be consistent with colors even from the same manufacturer. the depth/intensity of color all depends on how long a piece of metal is left in the anodizing bath, how much current is run through it etc. you could anodize two different pieces of metal (different sizes) in the same bath and come out with a different color...
The colors are done with a dye bath after anodizing. That's why some colors are not consistent. It's also why colors fade from sunlight (UV).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Before I went with powder coating my pressure plate I considered buying an anodising kit. They are relatively cheap and I am sure there will be a similar supplier near you. Here is the website I was looking at

Gateros Plating, Zinc plating kits, Nickle plating kits, Chrome plating kits, Cleaning kits, Aluminium plating and all your plating supplies.

As a member said there is no guarantee that the colour will be exactly as you want as this is due to the grade of metal, length of time, current etc etc but I was thinking if I had my own at least I could test back and forth. Still something im considering along with carbon fibre kits......christ dont get me started

·
Registered
77 Posts
The colors are done with a dye bath after anodizing. That's why some colors are not consistent. It's also why colors fade from sunlight (UV).
got it. thanks for the clarification. as you can tell, I'm not actually a metal worker/anodizer. I just work with stuff that's been anodized and recently toured a facility. unfortunately they didn't explain the details...:confused:

·
1,765 Posts
The color anodized parts are silly and designed exclusively for posers. Get the black or a raw metal finish instead. Aside from looking "right" they won't fade over time. And if those are the parts bolted on a handle bar (such as a fluid reservoir or a steering dumper) they won't reflect the sun straight to the eyes... annoyingly distracting and dangerous when you are at 150 mph or at a lean angle in a corner.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
The color anodized parts are silly and designed exclusively for posers. Get the black or a raw metal finish instead. Aside from looking "right" they won't fade over time. And if those are the parts bolted on a handle bar (such as a fluid reservoir or a steering dumper) they won't reflect the sun straight to the eyes... annoyingly distracting and dangerous when you are at 150 mph or at a lean angle in a corner.

Black can also fade, usually to a plum color. I like the look of hard anodizing, which is a gunmetal gray. Looks like pro race stuff.

·
1,765 Posts
Black can also fade, usually to a plum color. I like the look of hard anodizing, which is a gunmetal gray. Looks like pro race stuff.
Rizoma stuff doesn't fade regardless of the color: pink, yellow or blue. I agree a hard anodizing looks sick.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The only color I know of that doesnt look bad as it fades is gold... the rest change to a completely different color.

·
Registered
77 Posts
any experience with rizoma black fading? I've also seen a lot of black anodizing turn purplish...not so pretty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts