Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my Multistrada and I'm ready to buy a GT1000. There's a sweet 07 Red with Termi's in excellent condition and 4,000 miles, no warranty.

Or I can get a decent deal on an 09 Black model stock with 2 year warranty and monthly payments.

Any differences in these two years other than the color?
I'm concerned about the tank issues that the 07's seem to have. Should I worry?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I had a 07 that I totaled. I had it for almost exactly three yrs. with no problems including the tank. I live in NM and mostly use Shell gas, but I don't know if that is a factor or not. I now have a new 08 with no tank problem. I think everyone that has had the problem got their tank replaced under warranty.
Oh yea, I think they are the same tanks that are being put on

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are no significant differences between the '07 and the '09 GT1000 so go for the one that gives you the biggest smile. As for the tank, it's a non-issue. Ducati is going to issue a recall to owners of Sport Classics, Monsters and Multistradas to cover replacement of all affected gas tanks. A letter outlining the recall will be going out to registered owners, and once you receive it you'll be able to go to your nearest dealer and have the tank inspected and replaced if it's warped, bubbled, expanded or whatever flaw you've got, if any. The recall should be announced soon and letters will go out to owners shortly thereafter. If your tank is defective you'll get a free one from Ducati so don't sweat it. Enjoy the GT!

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are no significant differences between the '07 and the '09 GT1000 so go for the one that gives you the biggest smile. As for the tank, it's a non-issue. Ducati is going to issue a recall to owners of Sport Classics, Monsters and Multistradas to cover replacement of all affected gas tanks. A letter outlining the recall will be going out to registered owners, and once you receive it you'll be able to go to your nearest dealer and have the tank inspected and replaced if it's warped, bubbled, expanded or whatever flaw you've got, if any. The recall should be announced soon and letters will go out to owners shortly thereafter. If your tank is defective you'll get a free one from Ducati so don't sweat it. Enjoy the GT!
Assuming this is true (I don't doubt it, this is just the first I've heard that Ducati is actually issuing a recall on the tanks), would it apply to second (and third, etc) owners? You say the info about the recall would be sent to "registered" owners; does this refer to original (first) owners of a bike or is it something else?

Best,
Josh

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Not much difference other than color and price. I think the Termis are a plus on the 07.

Mxwinky, just curious as to when you heard about the recall?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You should never trust a willy or a winky. I would get more opinions if I were you

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Just my opinion...

I have a black 09 GT...... with Termis.... People complement me constantly....
I put on the ohlins F & R and some rizoma mirrors with gold stems....

The red is nice but the black with the white racing stripe stunningly beautiful!!! ....
besides... it's new and there is a lot to be said for new...
BUT IMHO you NEED the Termignonis!!!:D:D:D

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
slight difference in seat height

freewaystar - The '06-'07 models have a slighter higher seat height - 32.5" vs. 31.8" on later models. Prior to buying my '07 on dealer consignment last spring, I sat on it and an '09 on the floor several times each and definitely noticed the difference. Being 6' with a 34" inseam, I preferred the taller height of the '07. Oh I admit I also loved the red '07, as well as the approximately 3k lower price tag, but comfort was key and I really appreciate that extra bit of height.

·
Registered
421 Posts
freewaystar - The '06-'07 models have a slighter higher seat height - 32.5" vs. 31.8" on later models. Prior to buying my '07 on dealer consignment last spring, I sat on it and an '09 on the floor several times each and definitely noticed the difference. Being 6' with a 34" inseam, I preferred the taller height of the '07. Oh I admit I also loved the red '07, as well as the approximately 3k lower price tag, but comfort was key and I really appreciate that extra bit of height.
I was going to say there are no changes between the '07 and '09, but Cesare57 is right- I forgot about the seat height change that came on the '08 models.

Then as I thought about it, there are early '07 models that had soft valve guides also. Do a search here for this. I found a number that I'd written down to check if my bike was effected- serial# 26147. Problem is, I can't remember now if that's my bike's engine number or if it is what I got from the thread and that any motor with a number higher than this is OK. Either way, if the used bike you're looking at is higher than the above, you'd be alright.

My '07 was the last new-in-the-crate bike my dealer had, and I wanted to buy new and got a great deal. I was certain that I would ride it 1500-2000 miles a year, and thought the warranty was important. It is, but the other side of it is that with 4,000 miles, the first service is done (cost me almost $300 for basically just an oil change), and any issues that were going to come up already have.

If indeed Ducati issues a recall on the tanks, it would be to whomever currently owns the bike, regardless of first owner or tenth.

Turns out I was really wrong about how much I would ride. I've put 14,000 miles on my now two bike collection in the 1 1/2 years since I bought the GT. A used bike with 4,000 seemed like a lot when I was first shopping, but now I'd prefer someone else took the depreciation. In fact, I bought my Aprilia with 4300 miles, and just turned 10,300.

·
Registered
300 Posts
welcome freewaystar,

Ducati's should only come in RED:D

You will save a bundle since:

1. the bike has already depreciated
2. The Termis are installed ($1300 at most dealerships)
3. First service is complete ($200-$300 at most dealerships)
4. Did I mention that its RED!

Good luck choosing whichever makes you happier

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Emmm..., yes. I have a 2007 sport biposto, and it indeed had soft valve guides, as discovered a week before manuf. warranty expired. I fought with DNA for 2 months to have them cover this issue, and they ended up agreeing (THANK GOD). I think I will be the last one to benefit from their good will warranty on this. the tally was about $3K, so I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.

I've also had to deal with the fuel line recall, had to replace my tank, had to replace the clutch assembly and basket (under warranty)...

so on that note, I'd get the newer model with full warranty and past all recall issues.

I was going to say there are no changes between the '07 and '09, but Cesare57 is right- I forgot about the seat height change that came on the '08 models.

Then as I thought about it, there are early '07 models that had soft valve guides also. Do a search here for this. I found a number that I'd written down to check if my bike was effected- serial# 26147. Problem is, I can't remember now if that's my bike's engine number or if it is what I got from the thread and that any motor with a number higher than this is OK. Either way, if the used bike you're looking at is higher than the above, you'd be alright.

My '07 was the last new-in-the-crate bike my dealer had, and I wanted to buy new and got a great deal. I was certain that I would ride it 1500-2000 miles a year, and thought the warranty was important. It is, but the other side of it is that with 4,000 miles, the first service is done (cost me almost $300 for basically just an oil change), and any issues that were going to come up already have.

If indeed Ducati issues a recall on the tanks, it would be to whomever currently owns the bike, regardless of first owner or tenth.

Turns out I was really wrong about how much I would ride. I've put 14,000 miles on my now two bike collection in the 1 1/2 years since I bought the GT. A used bike with 4,000 seemed like a lot when I was first shopping, but now I'd prefer someone else took the depreciation. In fact, I bought my Aprilia with 4300 miles, and just turned 10,300.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
giogolf makes a good point about depreciation, which reminded me that last spring there were a number of demo and new '08s in Dallas, Houston, and Waco that were selling for around 10K - $1500 less than MSRP on '09s.

So a third option - if you're not in a big rush - might be to see if any area dealers do something similar on the '09s once they get the '10s in.

I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I went with the '07 is that it still had about 13 months on the warranty, so that, plus having the 600 mile service already paid for were big pluses, especially since I'm about to have to pony up the big $ for my 7.5k service and new sneaks:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Assuming this is true (I don't doubt it, this is just the first I've heard that Ducati is actually issuing a recall on the tanks), would it apply to second (and third, etc) owners? You say the info about the recall would be sent to "registered" owners; does this refer to original (first) owners of a bike or is it something else?
Best,
Josh
If this did happen, it is a safety and emissions recall and should apply to all bikes. They only notify the registered owners because those are the only ones they know how to contact, but such a recall would almost certainly apply to all affected bikes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
THe Peace of mind that comes with the 2 year warranty is valuable. I also believe that ducati is still running their promotion covering the first 2 scheduled maintanence services. And the black with the white stripe is quite sleek!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
THe Peace of mind that comes with the 2 year warranty is valuable. I also believe that ducati is still running their promotion covering the first 2 scheduled maintanence services. And the black with the white stripe is quite sleek!
I never saw the "2 scheduled maintenance services" anywhere in my neighborhood. I've always suspected that was a promotion some dealers did independently, rather than a factory sponsored promotion.

I agree about the value of a warranty though, regardless of the model year.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Ducati's should only come in RED

You will save a bundle since:

1. the bike has already depreciated
2. The Termis are installed ($1300 at most dealerships)
3. First service is complete ($200-$300 at most dealerships)
4. Did I mention that its RED!
if you only own one...... get red, I agree....good point

Did You know you can not get the new ones in red???? I wanted red but the '09s only came in black and silver.. But I loved the black better than the red one that i saw...only one solution to that..... I picked up a 95 RED SS on ebay !!!.. totally happy now best both worlds...

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/40 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/41 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
OEM Promotion: Forza Ducati 6.75%* financing and 1st Two Services free*

I opted for a new Duck because of the "Forza Ducati" promotion. They pay for the 600 mile/6 month service & the 7500 mile/12 month service. I do not put 7500 miles on in one year, so I will only get the 600 mile and 12 month service on DNA. (Two glorified oil changes, by the look of the owners manual.) @ time of purchase the $ off MSRP, I gave some of it back by opting for the 3 year extended warrenty ($812.00) giving me 5 years peace of mind.

If I knew the "story" behind the used and knew for absolute the Moto had no issues, then the used is a deal. Especially if you were going to put on those termi's. That is some serious savings. But reading threads like Dead '06 which only had 700 miles always makes one think when buying used.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had the choice between a new GT1000 & a 2007 model when I bought my bike in April 2009. I opted for the 2007 bike as it had the Termi kit fitted & the deal left me with money to add other goodies.

I have added a Fender Extenda, the DP aluminium nose fairing, an optimate (smart charger) battery tender lead and a Ventura grab rail (can be quickly converted to a grab rail/luggage rack combo). Also now being added are 5-spoke Marchesini wheels to enable me to run tubeless tyres. Some of our rural roads are poorly surfaced so I also plan to replace the OEM fork springs with Wilburs to provide a smoother ride on uneven road surfaces.

I should also recommend a hugger to keep things clean at the back end. Mine had one fitted but there are a number of after market suppliers. You may be able to source one from GTRossi on this forum if you ask nicely!

The GT1000 is a fine bike & I could have been happy with it in standard trim, but the Sport Classics offer so many opportunities to 'tune' the bike to personal preferences it would have been rude not to!

Hope you enjoy whichever bike you choose.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I bought a PS second hand because there were no new ones available and was delighted to have the first owner take the depreciation. 4000 miles is not a problem, use the difference to upgrade the suspension.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Bought my '07 brand new and have not had a single problem with it. Had a choice among all three 2007 color schemes and chose red because I'd never owned anything in red before!

Termis sound great (or at least loud) but will cost you a 30-40% gas milage hit. With 3.3 usable gallons, this can be really significant.

I give the gas tank a little wiggle before mounting up, when I can remember to do it. No tank spreading problems, here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts