Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
2004 had improved headlights; many with 2002-2003 replace stock system with aftermarket DD design system as teh stock beams were not bright at all. 2004 has a less stretched out seating position and sdjustable clip-on height. Also has a more comfortable seat. Another difference is the dash. 2002-2003 has all analog gauges while 2004 and later had analog tach and digital speedo. I believe these are most of the differences as suspension and engine were unchanged.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
The upper fairing and windscreen of the MY 04 are different than the 03 and much more aerodynamic. The middle fairing of the MY 04 can be removed without removing the dash, side mirrors, and upper fairing. That was not the case with the earlier models. Anyone who has ever tried to access the battery can appreciate this change.

Both model years came with a OEM 38T rear sprocket, which needs to be immediately changed to a 42T or 43T one for smooth performance at US street and highway legal (and near legal) speeds.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
2004 lost the carbon hugger making the 2003 vastly better :D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Specs state 121HP as opposed to 03 117HP so there must be a minor change in the engine/fuelling somewhere??

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Specs state 121HP as opposed to 03 117HP so there must be a minor change in the engine/fuelling somewhere??
The engine is the same throughout the 4s line (excepting the wet clutch in '05). Ducati changed in 2005 to making measurements using an inertial dyno, and the numbers ended up about 4% higher for that year only.

2004 used the same brake dyno as 2003 for measurement, so the '04 vs '03 engine output should be identical on paper.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Wow thats interesting SE84...wealth of information. With all those same engines you wonder why you can't buy aftermarket belts for our bikes b :-(.......oops is that another thread hijack!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts