Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm shopping for more comfortable seat for my 998. based on what i've read i think i'm going with a sargent seat. just curious; what is the difference between the mono seat vs. the biposto seat? do they mount to the bike differently?

thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
IIRC a bi seat is flat and doesn't curve up as high or rearward as a mono seat. You can't swap them.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
When switching out the stock seat for a Sargent, bare in mind the Sargent is a thicker seat and will likely set you up taller in the saddle. This might mean a slightly different geometry and more body weight against the grips, just what you don't want, more pressure on your wrists. Just a thought to consider, not much hoopla about it, but it was something that I encountered. I midigated this by raising the handlebars with the FBF risers. Easy to install, not cheap though. Or, the seat change may not make a negative difference at all.

I've had two Sargent seats, excellent product.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC a bi seat is flat and doesn't curve up as high or rearward as a mono seat. You can't swap them.
so...the bip seat sits flatter than the mono seat? so it's not necessarily the way it mounts to the bike as much as it's the overall shape of the seat.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
It is a completely different shape. to the untrained eye they look the same but they are not.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
998mark is your bike a biposto? There is a difference, the back of the seat is lower on a biposto.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
When switching out the stock seat for a Sargent, bare in mind the Sargent is a thicker seat and will likely set you up taller in the saddle. This might mean a slightly different geometry and more body weight against the grips, just what you don't want, more pressure on your wrists.
I have a Sargent seat and it is more comfortable than the stock seat but as above, it is significantly thicker so raises me up and loads the wrists more which is is not a huge problem but as I'm now sitting around 1" higher up I can now only reach the ground with my toes and that causes problems if I have to 'paddle' the bike backwards, especially if uphill, maybe I should lower the rear slightly to compensate?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for the responses. fortunately i am 6'1" with long legs so the extra seat height won't bother me other than the extra load on my wrists. i guess i will see how i like it and go from there. i don't really want to change the clip-ons but perphaps that adjusting the ride height to compensate could be a viable option.

thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts