Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use motor car synthetic oil on my monster? Or what called 4T?

Please forgive my stupid question.
I am just a beginner ?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
All depends on the Olive oil requirement of your specific Ducati model, you should consult your manual as climate is critical.

Craig

·
Registered
129 Posts
Only if you have a DRY clutch, if you have a WET clutch you should use a motorcycle specific engine oil.
That's not exactly true.
As long as the oil in question does not contain a friction modifier it can be used on a wet clutch & therefore can be used in a motorcycle engine.
My jap bikes have run perfectly fine on "Valvolline" or "Mobil" 20/40 engine oil bought straight off the supermarket shelf.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
If an oil's label says it meets JASO MA or JASO MA2 standards then it is okay for wet clutches whether it's conventional or fully synthetic.

The JASO MA and MA2 standards are made up of a series of tests that check for certain frictional characteristics of the oil which have been determined to help ensure compatibility with wet clutch motorcycle transmissions.

Most oils that say 4T (meaning four stroke motorcycle engine) on the front label will also show JASO MA or MA2 on the back label fine print.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If an oil's label says it meets JASO MA or JASO MA2 standards then it is okay for wet clutches whether it's conventional or fully synthetic.

The JASO MA and MA2 standards are made up of a series of tests that check for certain frictional characteristics of the oil which have been determined to help ensure compatibility with wet clutch motorcycle transmissions.

Most oils that say 4T (meaning four stroke motorcycle engine) on the front label will also show JASO MA or MA2 on the back label fine print.
Great info, thanks. I wondered about the 4T but figure there was more to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts