Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I sympathize. One time, back when I had the 748 (Haruko-Chan), my brand new rear tire made it 8 miles. That was, dealer to round about ride to pick up a gift for a friend. Nail, dead center of the tire.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'll likely be the minority view here or worse, but if the tire can be properly plugged, I wouldn't have a problem riding it around with a plug in it. I've had a couple of rear flats in the past couple of years and probably ridden over 100 miles with a flat rear. Handling was a bit wonky, but nothing that couldn't be managed.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I'll likely be the minority view here or worse, but if the tire can be properly plugged, I wouldn't have a problem riding it around with a plug in it. I've had a couple of rear flats in the past couple of years and probably ridden over 100 miles with a flat rear. Handling was a bit wonky, but nothing that couldn't be managed.
I've done it, once on the rear. Even w/ a balance there was vibration.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Rode with a screw in rear tyre when I was young and broke on my GSXR. Lasted the life of the tyre and never lost pressure, must have been a tight fit :)

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
use a large self-tapping screw many years ago in central Queensland to plug a hole in a rear tyre. Worked a treat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have rode with plugs on other bikes but for the $160 for a new one I feel like it?s ?cheap? insurance. I?m very picky about this bike since it was and is my dream bike. I?d hate to loose pressure and scrape the rim, or even worse. I?m not that far from needing a new one anyway. Just stinks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have any guess how many more miles I would of had on this tire by looking at the tread?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
It's good to carry the plug patch kit but the tire is trash in my opinion. If the plug patch is from the inside and part of an integral patch plug, I wouldn't be so worried but if it's an outside fix, the risk of that big fucker blowing out in a corner is not worth it past getting home.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I would never ride it, but two of my friends have recently put several thousand miles on a tire plugged in the middle - they had to do it themselves as no shop around here would do it.

Its common enough problem around here with the new home construction so the shops have a $6-10 insurance deal on punctures - rate the tire as to how many miles left for credit. From your photo it is a little hard to tell, but those groves look fairly deep so I would say more than 50% life in them if they are a sticky tire like a Dunlop Q3 - even more if it is a touring tire.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered a new Pilot Road 2 from Revzilla today, at $160 it?s cheap Insurance I guess...plus my shop gets to make some $ off the installation. I like when I can help the small local Euro shop!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sympathize. I took my Son's then new Pani to a shop for the first service and 1/2 mile from the shop picked up a screw.

Now I have ridden with the temp plugs and permanent patch/plugs a lot, especially when younger and without any side money to cover a replacement and they never failed.

The internal patch plug, if done correctly and vulcanized to the interior of the tire carcass, will generally last the life of the tire.

Since the bike was my Son's and he does not have my riding experience, I opted to replace a fairly expensive and virtually new Rosso Corsa tire for my piece of mind.

If I had not been near or at the Ducati (or other MC) shop, I would have plugged it myself and had a cappuccino while it dried thoroughly, then ridden it more carefully back home all the while stopping every so often to check on it's condition.

YMMVOC and good for you for supporting the small shops. $160? dang that's cheap!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sympathize. I took my Son's then new Pani to a shop for the first service and 1/2 mile from the shop picked up a screw.

Now I have ridden with the temp plugs and permanent patch/plugs a lot, especially when younger and without any side money to cover a replacement and they never failed.

The internal patch plug, if done correctly and vulcanized to the interior of the tire carcass, will generally last the life of the tire.

Since the bike was my Son's and he does not have my riding experience, I opted to replace a fairly expensive and virtually new Rosso Corsa tire for my piece of mind.

If I had not been near or at the Ducati (or other MC) shop, I would have plugged it myself and had a cappuccino while it dried thoroughly, then ridden it more carefully back home all the while stopping every so often to check on it's condition.

YMMVOC and good for you for supporting the small shops. $160? dang that's cheap!
Revzilla always has amazing prices!!!! My local guys tell me to order from them since their prices are so good! I just ship direct to them and stop in for the install!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts