Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Personally I'd be much more interested in an 800. Who needs 200+ hp on a street bike, and why would you need winglets on a street bike with no windscreen? Just how fast is any responsible rider going to go on the street that winglets are needed? The bike just seems like an attempt to up the competition. I wish Ducati made the bike with a 600 or 800. It would be even lighter and more usable on the street. They need a bike that can compete with the MT09 and 790 Duke.
I'm inclined to agree. I was pretty excited about the bike but the price is way up there, especially with 10% sales tax and fees on top, and I don't think I need something this extreme in my garage. So I'm back to either adding a retro like a Thruxton R or a Z900RS or just replacing my Street Triple 675 with a new 765.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I actually really like the FTR but they aren't cheap either. I think I built mine to $17k and that's before tax and fees. For a few grand more, I'd rather have a base SF V4.

·
Bon Vivant
10,290 Posts
I'm inclined to agree. I was pretty excited about the bike but the price is way up there, especially with 10% sales tax and fees on top, and I don't think I need something this extreme in my garage. So I'm back to either adding a retro like a Thruxton R or a Z900RS or just replacing my Street Triple 675 with a new 765.
Owning both the Thruxton and the 900RS let me help you with that choice - Get the Thruxton. The Kwacker is cool looking and the chassis is fantastic but the engine management is completely crap. The tune is so far out of whack that no tuner has yet been able to make the bike work in any practical way. Save yourself the headache - the Triumph is sublime in comparison.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Owning both the Thruxton and the 900RS let me help you with that choice - Get the Thruxton. The Kwacker is cool looking and the chassis is fantastic but the engine management is completely crap. The tune is so far out of whack that no tuner has yet been able to make the bike work in any practical way. Save yourself the headache - the Triumph is sublime in comparison.
Thanks for that, it's helpful as I was actually leaning toward the Z900 as better looking - that narrow tank on the Thruxton feels odd, perhaps because I'm so used to my Multi. My local shop has 8/750 TFC...hmmm...

·
Registered
192 Posts
It’s funny, the thruxton was the next bike on my list before the v4sf was revealed. And since the thruxton rs was revealed it is still stuck in my mind. It would be a bike I could ring out and get a lot out of, looks amazing and I could afford to purchase and exhaust system for it haha. With that said I have had a deposit down on the v4sf since the day after it was revealed. They also have triumphs at the same dealership....

·
Registered
544 Posts
crazy horse, I agree on that Indian FTR 1200. I really like that bike and have been waiting for them to release a more true flat tracker. Wish I had unlimited funds as this looks like a really fun bike to ride. I'll be putting my first deposit EVER down for the new SFS. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
It’s funny, the thruxton was the next bike on my list before the v4sf was revealed. And since the thruxton rs was revealed it is still stuck in my mind. It would be a bike I could ring out and get a lot out of, looks amazing and I could afford to purchase and exhaust system for it haha. With that said I have had a deposit down on the v4sf since the day after it was revealed. They also have triumphs at the same dealership....
I've concluded I just won't get enough ride time on the SF to really justify the price tag (plus 10% sales tax), neither am I likely to ride it anywhere near its capabilities and my Multi will remain my go-to bike for anything more than a single day's run. I'm still drooling a bit though, but that may just be mild senility ;)

On top of that, after a handful of dealerships were foreclosed here, my nearest Ducati dealer has gone from 10 minutes away to just under an hour on the freeway; it's not somewhere you drop by on a Saturday morning. In contrast I have a Kawasaki / MV dealer right down the street, two Triumph dealerships in easy striking distance, plus KTM and Aprilia close by. Owning a Ducati has now become a little inconvenient; hopefully someone will step forward, in the meantime I'm looking at other options for the spring.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts