Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be able to find info on the Ducati site about their special program that functions like a lease but I can't find it anymore. Do you know if this program was killed?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I didn't know you could lease a motorcycle? I've been a life long renter from housing to leasing cars during the days I drove. I wouldnt mind leasing a Duc.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Never understood how this program could work. The residual value of a Ducati at the end of a 2 year lease would be terrible, 2 years in is just about the worst time to try to get out from under a Ducati. Is the lease payment $600/mo, or does it require a 25% down payment? The numbers don't add up otherwise.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Never understood how this program could work. The residual value of a Ducati at the end of a 2 year lease would be terrible, 2 years in is just about the worst time to try to get out from under a Ducati. Is the lease payment $600/mo, or does it require a 25% down payment? The numbers don't add up otherwise.
Leasing a vehicle only makes sense if it's for your business where most of the cost can be deducted from your taxable income, you need the particularly vehicle for the business, like a truck, and you can't finance the purchase for whatever reason. You will pay dearly. Leasing a motorcycle would be insane.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Who’s responsible for paying the Desmo? Leases are also mileage sensitive, since my motorcycle is my only ride, a lease might not be practical. I have six more payments with Ducati Financial and my Multi will be paid off. Wohooo

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't understand why everyone was talking about leasing before. Now everything became clear.
In general that's true - i.e. on a lease you pay the vehicle's depreciation plus a service/finance fee. Sometimes manufacturer's will provide lease incentives to sweeten the deal, move inventory, etc. Manufacturers like leases because they get the vehicle back in 2-3 years so they can sell it again. In general, for consumers, it's a way to get into a monthly payment they can't otherwise afford, at the expense of owning something after paying for it for 2-3 years. Some like the convenience of not having to deal with trading and negotiations and just accept a never-ending monthly payment. Also, be warned that end-of-lease expenses for buying tires, nicks dings mileage etc. can be costly.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Never heard of a leasing program from a factory / dealer - there was a 3rd party "lease" company for motos a while ago I saw in the bay area, not sure they're still around.
IMHO financing makes more sense than leasing, given the economy of scale and entrenchment of ownership, but some folks would like the idea of leasing a moto and turning it in for the newer model every 2-3 years. The good / bad of leasing is, at the end of term (if you aren't over mileage), you turn it in and you walk away with nothing.

I remember years ago moto folks balked at the idea of financing a motorcycle, but we also don't live in the era where a bike costs $4k and you pay with cash and a handshake - and I'm not ok with laying out $20k cash (26.6k USD for the V4S!), I'd rather finance and invest the lump of cash elsewhere. :)

Anything owned will take a depreciation hit (especially italian motos haha) but if you ride it for a while and enjoy it, it's a sunk cost of ownership and you can get some of it back on a sale / trade-in in the future, potentially.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts