Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from HD world I have always used both front and rear brakes, however the diavel brakes are atleast 10 times better then my lowrider's. Is there any point to using the rear brakes on the diavel?

·
comrade moderator
26,801 Posts
Does it work? :)

I'm a big proponent of rear brakes...critical for coming to a smooth stop without a lot of fork dive (or your passenger banging their helmet on yours), U-turns, with a combination of slipping clutch and dragging rear brake can be done full lock, no problem, and a dab mid corner if your a little hot or wide can tighten your line without chopping the throttle - important if you are on the edge of the tire.

Rear brakes are good!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Plus One for CR's post, but also don't forget the Diavel has ABS which means the rear can be used heavily without fear of lockup, which makes it more useful in combo with the front brakes. The long wheelbase helps there too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As good habit I would still use both brakes. But you would to stand on the rear brakes to get it to work. Yet the front are just plain awesome.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear brake

I will force myself to use the rear brake for one week, but they really seem useless. I heard the Diavel has the same brakes as the Panigale, don't know if thats true but damn they are good!

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Ducati + Rear Brake = only in emergency situation on wet or loose surface.

A smart man told me once, stay of the rear brake unless above situation, otherwise you will wipe out one day on it.

On a Ducati there is no reason at all ( unless as above) that you even need to touch the rear brake. 15 years later no wipe out:) yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
with ABS there is no reason not to use the rear brake. now this does not substitute good braking techniques, it only helps them. smooth progressive brake applications are always the best to set up the suspension for the best braking.
I highly encourage you to try testing the maximum braking capability for emergency stops from like 35 mph and try and do it without getting the ABS to kick in. you can learn a from just doing this. and it'll give you a lot more confidence in the ABS system especially if you need to use it for real one day.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have put 3500 km on the Diavel using only front brake and never touched the rear brake. I have done many test "panic" stops from 150km and I still say the rear brake is useless and the abs has not even kicked in. I know a few things about brakes, you don't ride a harley for 10 yrs and not learn to use both brakes to their max. (fred flintstone could stop faster) So when I say the rear brake is useless it really is. :p

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
Chuckracer has the right answer.

Don't let previous piss poor brakes on overweight bikes let you decide what brakes you are to use on the Diavel. Learn how to use both brakes and know what it feels like to take the rear one to its limit. Then learn how it can be useful to you.

I always use the rear brake no matter how fast I'm going. Getting used to a habit is much better than finding out you don't have one when you need it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
it has very good rear brakes. But if you expect the same power as the fronts then you've not been riding for long. Can't physically be. On a downhill at 50 the rear can stop the bike well! This is part of the braking training. And Diavel does this well. All the opinions above are good ones fully support the use of the rear and to be smart.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the great advice, its amazing I have survived 25 yrs of riding accident free and it turns out I know nothing about braking.:p

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look and I was yesterday on a safety on the roads training. So we would do avoidance maneuvers also on curve! And guess how can you fully brake on the lean without drifting away? Yes by using the rear brake together with the front! So yes it could be LIFE SAVING that rear that we all say is crap. Also manly because of the ABS! Did several full stops clicking the rear Abs coming from lean turning withou loosing much of the line!

Ducati Diavel Red standard 2011. Roadster screen.
In Europe-CH

·
Desmodromondomoto
21 Posts
Does it work? :)

I'm a big proponent of rear brakes...critical for coming to a smooth stop without a lot of fork dive (or your passenger banging their helmet on yours), U-turns, with a combination of slipping clutch and dragging rear brake can be done full lock, no problem, and a dab mid corner if your a little hot or wide can tighten your line without chopping the throttle - important if you are on the edge of the tire.

Rear brakes are good!
I'm with Chuckracer and Wonway on this. Chuckracer sums it up nicely. Try these for yourself and you'll see.

Also, relying on the ABS can develop into a bad habit of just grabbing a fistful of front brake knowing the ABS will kick in. I prefer to work on developing good shifting/riding/braking habits and let the ABS kick in if I get carried away or get surprised and panic when I shouldn't.

Good luck and welcome back from the Dark Side. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts