Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having fuel pump or electrical trouble with my 900ss.

Went for about a 60 mile ride today, temps topped 90F on the blacktop. Stopped for lunch, drove halfway back and stopped for a cold drink. Bike was parked in the sun, temps now about 100F. Jumped back on, rode about 2 miles and the bike lost all power and died. I managed to coast to a safe shady spot and started checking things. Fuel valve ON (FCR carbs), kill switch good, key fine, starter works, etc. Then I noticed that there was no "whirring" from the fuel pump. I checked the fuse, fine.
I sat for 45 minutes waiting for my wife to pick me up. When she got there, I checked again and the fuel pump was fine! So, I jumped on and cruised for home. It made the 30ish mile trip like nothing was wrong. Sitting in my driveway I turned the key on and off a few times and it whirred away like a champ.
Now I just checked it, sitting in my super hot garage for an hour, and no fuel pump. Something tells me it will be fine after it has completely cooled off.

Is the pump going out? Are they heat sensitive? If it alternates between working fine and not working at all it makes me think there is a bad connection, possibly made worse by heat?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
clogged vent line? check the "strip" fuse under the right side fairing up high on the frame near the reg/rec - wire goes to the battery from there, and does it look compromised?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
generally the pumps i have to replace due to on road type failures (as opposed to sitting in crap fuel for 4 years failures) are all heat related. ride around for 3/4 of on hour before it fails for the first time, then it comes and goes consistantly while i try to get back to the factory.

remove the cap carrier so you can get in the tank and with a test light check for power at the pump when it's hot and not running. that'll tell you if it's the pump or power.

don't think a 95 will have a fusible link, might if the battery earth is on the rh side of the bike.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back from an evening out, so not in a state to do any real work.

Turned the key, fuel pump whirring like a champ.

Tomorrow, or soon, going to start checking electrical connections.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
First lets look at what we know.

The pump does not work on occasion.

What we need to find out next is

Is it getting power to the pump when it is not working.
If yes then it is probably a pump that has simply spent itself out, Something that happens but the oem pumps were very reliable.

If no , you need to find where you are losing power. I find fuel pump power wires that pass into the tank are to blame more often than the pumps themselves, unplug the tank connector and ohm out the pump wires to see if you are losing connection, wiggle the wires as well when measuring.

Also be sure to see if the power is getting to the connector to see if you are having the problem more upstream.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First lets look at what we know.

The pump does not work on occasion.

What we need to find out next is

Is it getting power to the pump when it is not working.
If yes then it is probably a pump that has simply spent itself out, Something that happens but the oem pumps were very reliable.

If no , you need to find where you are losing power. I find fuel pump power wires that pass into the tank are to blame more often than the pumps themselves, unplug the tank connector and ohm out the pump wires to see if you are losing connection, wiggle the wires as well when measuring.

Also be sure to see if the power is getting to the connector to see if you are having the problem more upstream.
I fiddled around with a tester. Everything seemed to have good power. Of course, the pump is working right now... I guess I'll have to stay close to home for a while until it starts doing it again. I'm trying to figure out what problem would "break" and "fix itself" while the bike is just sitting. When the pump is running, it stays running for the whole ride, or at least it seems to. It's no coincidence I got the same distance after stopping that I do when I forget to turn the fuel petcock on (which happens more than I like to admit). It's gotta be related to heat somehow, but also sitting...

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
I've had fuel pumps go bad in cars twice. Both times they were fine on cold start but quit down the road, then cooled down and worked again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts