Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been doing some research on 200 series tire for 1098. I can't find anyone who has actually fitted this tire to their 6 inch rim.

Will this work? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

I know 1199 Panigale uses this tire and can only imagine to increase performance, which is probably the reason Ducati didn't go with 190/55 for the 1199 Panigale.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Comparing to the Panigale is not an apples to apples comparison since the frame/suspension geometry is significantly different.

The normal outcome of doing something like adding a 200 is to slow down the handling of the bike. I'd bet if you track the bike you'd notice it...if not, and if you're not really very sensitive to handling/set up then the size probably wouldn't matter. I don't know if it would fit but unless you have a hugger, I'd bet that it will.

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
So I have been doing some research on 200 series tire for 1098. I can't find anyone who has actually fitted this tire to their 6 inch rim.

I know 1199 Panigale uses this tire and can only imagine to increase performance, which is probably the reason Ducati didn't go with 190/55 for the 1199 Panigale.

Thoughts?
There is no advantage... they engineered the 1098 to use a 190 tire and that's that... there are a billion threads on this very thing if you care to look at the multitude of reasons you shouldn't upsize your rear tire....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I ran the 200 Pirelli slick racetire on my 1098s trackbike.Pirelli no longer even sells a 190 racetire. It worked awesome! Noticed no negative handling issues at all. It is a taller tire so you may have to have some chain slack to move the tire further back to clear the swingarm.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thoughts?
I think you will struggle for clearance on the swingarm of a 1098 or 1198. Generally a 200 will rub, which is why you don't see them fitted. The 1199 has been designed to take the 200 which is the latest generation of sizing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Pirelli rep told me that there won't be any fitment issues. But having said that, I stocked up on bunch of 190 SC1s because I did not want to be the beta tester.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no advantage... they engineered the 1098 to use a 190 tire and that's that... there are a billion threads on this very thing if you care to look at the multitude of reasons you shouldn't upsize your rear tire....
People in the post have used them and if they were engineered only for Panigale, why would superbike teams use this tire?

Surely suspension settings can be changed to accomodate this tire.

·
Old Fast Guy
488 Posts
People in the post have used them and if they were engineered only for Panigale, why would superbike teams use this tire?

Surely suspension settings can be changed to accomodate this tire.
The issue isn't suspension settings, it is tire clearance from the swingarm at the front. The SBK teams run a 15mm longer swingarm than what is fitted to the "normal" street bikes. You can buy the SBK arm for ~$5k USD.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welp, tire ended fitting fine with no clearance issues. The steering was slowed to the point that I was not comfortable with it, so on went the 190.

I guess you either like it or you don't.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welp, tire ended fitting fine with no clearance issues. The steering was slowed to the point that I was not comfortable with it, so on went the 190.

I guess you either like it or you don't.
How could your steering be slowed? its a taller tire(raises rear) with a sharper profile. I had the oppisite effect with my 1098. Panagale handles very quick with that tire.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How could your steering be slowed? its a taller tire(raises rear) with a sharper profile. I had the oppisite effect with my 1098. Panagale handles very quick with that tire.
Contact patch still increases, as the tire is 10mm wider. I never adjusted any of my suspension either, so I am curious as to how you experienced opposite of what I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts