Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow ducatisti,
I purchased my 2008 848 last May with 1600 miles on it and rode it all last year with one track day thrown in. When I winterized it, it had 4,200 miles on it. For those of you also in the NY/NJ/CT area, you remember how mild our winter was. I took it out for a few rides in March and even a few times as early as February. Right as the riding season begun, I decided to have my grey OEM clutch cover powder-coated black w/red lettering. It came out great and I was thrilled to get it back on my bike and out on the road. I used RTV sealant and tightened the bolts and let it sit overnight. Next day I filled up with fresh oil and headed out. About a mile down the road, my bike made a loud pop and shut off. Tried to start it up again and to no avail. Finally got it started again after rolling down a hill. Rode back home the 1 mile with a terrible rattling noise. Pulled the clutch cover off and found the crankshaft scored from the bushing within the clutch cover. Now this bushing was not removed during the powder-coating process.

I took it to Ducati dealership and they said the crankshaft is shot and will cost at least $5,500 to replace. (and thats not including whatever else they find inside that's broken). Well I can't and won't put $5500 into a bike.
I've tried to have a friend help and fix the bushing and the crank but when we started it, it sounded no different.
I found an engine from a salvaged bike that runs for $2k but I'm not sure how hard it is to put that in.

What I'm getting at is, what do you think caused this and what should I do?
Cause:
-bushing being in the furnace while it was powder coated
-me not using the proper torque settings for the clutch cover when reinstalling it

Options:
-buy the used engine and replace
-sell bike as is, if so will I get more than 3-4k for it
-part it out as everything on the bike is either new or close to new.
-have Ducati fix the bike and take the deep hit to the pocket

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I've lost sleep over this as I've been waiting 7 years to own this bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hello fellow ducatisti,
I purchased my 2008 848 last May with 1600 miles on it and rode it all last year with one track day thrown in. When I winterized it, it had 4,200 miles on it. For those of you also in the NY/NJ/CT area, you remember how mild our winter was. I took it out for a few rides in March and even a few times as early as February. Right as the riding season begun, I decided to have my grey OEM clutch cover powder-coated black w/red lettering. It came out great and I was thrilled to get it back on my bike and out on the road. I used RTV sealant and tightened the bolts and let it sit overnight. Next day I filled up with fresh oil and headed out. About a mile down the road, my bike made a loud pop and shut off. Tried to start it up again and to no avail. Finally got it started again after rolling down a hill. Rode back home the 1 mile with a terrible rattling noise. Pulled the clutch cover off and found the crankshaft scored from the bushing within the clutch cover. Now this bushing was not removed during the powder-coating process.

I took it to Ducati dealership and they said the crankshaft is shot and will cost at least $5,500 to replace. (and thats not including whatever else they find inside that's broken). Well I can't and won't put $5500 into a bike.
I've tried to have a friend help and fix the bushing and the crank but when we started it, it sounded no different.
I found an engine from a salvaged bike that runs for $2k but I'm not sure how hard it is to put that in.

What I'm getting at is, what do you think caused this and what should I do?
Cause:
-bushing being in the furnace while it was powder coated
-me not using the proper torque settings for the clutch cover when reinstalling it

Options:
-buy the used engine and replace
-sell bike as is, if so will I get more than 3-4k for it
-part it out as everything on the bike is either new or close to new.
-have Ducati fix the bike and take the deep hit to the pocket

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I've lost sleep over this as I've been waiting 7 years to own this bike.
Please give us a pic of the inside of the clutch cover so we can figure out exactly what's going on here.

It may be possible to repair the crank (it doesn't look like there is much damage) and press in a new bushing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Please give us a pic of the inside of the clutch cover so we can figure out exactly what's going on here.

It may be possible to repair the crank (it doesn't look like there is much damage) and press in a new bushing.
+1 on possibility to repair crank. This not being the case, a motor swap is extremely straight forward. Bolt off bolt on simple.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
+1 on possibility to repair crank. This not being the case, a motor swap is extremely straight forward. Bolt off bolt on simple.
Yep. If you want you can bump up to a 1098 for much less than $5.5k. Engine swap is easy, even if you are too mechanically adept.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
relax OP... get yourself a new engine and put it in... not much different than what is done on track bikes on a regular basis.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have full coverage on that bike? A friend of mine use to love to wheely his bike all the time on his 848. His crankshaft blew as a result lol. Then he had no funds to fix it. What does he do? Purposely crashes the bike, takes it to the dealer, insurance estimate guy comes in evaluates all repairs needed and WHAALAA he has a whole new crankshaft, clutch and fairings - since these were all "affiliated" with the crash haha. All he had to pay was his 500 dollar deductible.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Do you have full coverage on that bike? A friend of mine use to love to wheely his bike all the time on his 848. His crankshaft blew as a result lol. Then he had no funds to fix it. What does he do? Purposely crashes the bike, takes it to the dealer, insurance estimate guy comes in evaluates all repairs needed and WHAALAA he has a whole new crankshaft, clutch and fairings - since these were all "affiliated" with the crash haha. All he had to pay was his 500 dollar deductible.
What a thoroughly dishonest thing to do.:(

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks to me (from your picture) like when you got your cover back from the powdercoater you haven't cleaned all of the abrasive grit that they use to blast your cover before powdercoating out of the oil galleries in the side cover,this feeds the big end bearings also and that may account for the noise it's making. That is if you have stuffed them as well, dose'nt sound good. How's the seal in front of the bush,has that been put back in the correct way round? Good luck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Im thinking the extra layer of powdercoat on the bush has made it too tight a fit on the crank...

Did you have to palmslap the cover back on? Should have been a VERY tight fit. ;)

·
9,757 Posts
Just replace the motor. If grit got in the oil galleries then that motor needs a teardown. Not as cheap or easy as a swap.

Don't be a pussy, it's super easy. The learning curve is steep the first time, but in the end it's a lot of fun.

Do you have a decent set of tools? Go download the shop manual, then purchase the used motor, and get back to us.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the responses guys! Responding to most of the above in this one post so hear it goes.

- @ oleary and cyclops: had my friend smooth the crankshaft end and press a new Custom made bushing into another clutch cover I bought online. We started it and it sounded the same. I will get you a picture of the inside soon.
- @ 470four: when putting the cover back on, I did have to palm slap the cover to get it to fit but wasn't too tight. I also dunked in soap and water and used compressed air to blast the oil channels in the clutch cover. the clutch cover was washed by me after the job. Used a toothbrush and some acetone to the bushing to remove any and all overspray.
[email protected] canyonbyker: I agree with oleary, that is really dishonest and I would much prefer not to have an accident on my record. Yes your friend may have gotten his bike fixed for $500, but let me know how it goes when he tries to get his insurance renewed and his premium is twice as expensive, if not more. So in the long run, he didn't make out. He will still have to pay up one way or another.
[email protected] matt_p: I think I might do the engine swap route. I do have a decent set of tools but no Ducati specialty tools. Or a proper lift. :p
- if I did go with a 1098, wouldn't I have to get new ECU, wiring, etc.
-if I do decide to sell it as is, how much could I get for it?
Thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I might be interested in buying the bike as is...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 42 Posts