Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a lemon!!!!

1. Traded my harley for 2014 hyperstrada
2. Took for test drive when traded - bike was warm(was driven to the meeting spot), no issues. Drove home 45mins away.
3. Slow start after cooled off, did not think anything of it.
4. Pulled head light and took off windscreen. Checked wires but everything looks fine.
5. Bike would not start next day - cranked over, voltage quickly lowers to below 11v on battery and rpms stay around 150.
6. Starter relay burned out - did bypass to a button to allow start
7. New battery - still cranking, starter spinning, battery draws juice, low rpms.
8. When I play with on/off button sometimes can get rpms higher.
9. Had started - Pulled tank, checked connections, put heavier cables on battery, Bolted back tank.
10. Next day... same issue. Ordered denso starter
11. Installed starter - low rpms, with charger on battery goes from 16v down to 11v when hitting starter by pass.
12. No errors showing.

I'm lost. Am I missing something??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Regulator / generator issue?

·
Registered
406 Posts
My amateur reply would be to start the bike and rev it and see if the lights brighten and dim. That's a bad V regulator . Easy to replace and cheap.

·
Registered
686 Posts
what about the starter solenoid? I have had a few go bad over the years.
also might check the starter and run switches
have you tried push starting it?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Any idea how to test that out?
The starting circuit is not complex. If you are experiencing slow cranking, welcome to starting a Ducati in the fall. But seriously, start at the battery and test everything.

You've done some testing at the battery and seem some drop. This is 100% normal as the starter pulls a lot of current. Unless you're dropping below 10V your battery is probably fine, and you mentioned you'd already replaced yours. Realize that these bikes crank slow at the best of times... my multi is the same, I always wonder when it gets cold out if it's going to start... the other morning it was down around freezing and I had to hit the button twice, it caught during the second round of cranking and my battery is also new. On my last Ducati I upgraded the starter wiring which did make a HUGE difference. In cooler weather if your tune is a bit off, or you've got old gas in the system, or the air filter is very clogged or the plugs are old or fouled or any number of other things... it may not start right away... or at all I guess. I'd be inclined to wire up a car battery in parallel and see if anything changes. I'd also replace the gas in the tank if you're on the same tank that was in the bike when you bought it, and replace the plugs... eliminate the simple stuff before, er, buying new starters. Have you pulled plugs to make sure they're firing when the bike is cranking?

Check connections at the starter relay, the starter itself, the battery, AND THE FRAME GROUND. I don't know where, or how many, the frame ground points are on your bike, but I've had bikes where the ground point was in a recessed motor mount point that collected water which encouraged rust/oxidation. I would take all the heavy-gauge wiring apart, sand the contact surfaces, goop everything up with dielectric grease and tighten them all back down.

Check the voltage drop across the starter relay. You said you bypassed your starter relay, did you use a proper jumper cable with crimped lugs properly bolted onto the binding posts, or something with springloaded clips? Realize you need significant surface area to avoid voltage drop at connections.

The starting system is the battery, wiring (including frame and motor), and starter. If the battery and starter are new, it's got to be in your wiring or one of the other things I've mentioned above. Or some other random thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would start with new plugs. The Ducati motor is a notoriously slow cranking motor due to the higher compression and 2 relatively large cylinders (H-D didn't care about weight, so they used HUGE starters). Your starter relay bypass may be an issue as well, that relay controls more than just the starter, I believe it also completes the circuit for the injectors. You mentioned that you replaced the starter, but not the relay, why did you replace the expensive part without making sure that the supporting circuitry was intact and correct? Heavier cables from the battery, never hurts, but it's not as much of an issue on the newer bikes. I would start by restoring the starter relay circuit to OEM, replace the spark plugs, and get used to the slower cranking (Ducatis do that...).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would start with new plugs. The Ducati motor is a notoriously slow cranking motor due to the higher compression and 2 relatively large cylinders (H-D didn't care about weight, so they used HUGE starters). Your starter relay bypass may be an issue as well, that relay controls more than just the starter, I believe it also completes the circuit for the injectors. You mentioned that you replaced the starter, but not the relay, why did you replace the expensive part without making sure that the supporting circuitry was intact and correct? Heavier cables from the battery, never hurts, but it's not as much of an issue on the newer bikes. I would start by restoring the starter relay circuit to OEM, replace the spark plugs, and get used to the slower cranking (Ducatis do that...).

So there is no dealership where I live but I put new plugs... lots of spark and ordered the relay, but it did not arrive yet. Ordered when I ordered the starter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So last night it started no problem. I pressed start before dash had a chance to completely show up. Did this 3 or 4 times. This afternoon, tried starting the same way.... back to the same problem.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Two things: 1) there are usually multiple ground points. It is not enough to clean one of them , you must find them all and make sure you scrape all the paint off down to bare metal. Also, regardless of how the factory grounds are placed run a wire grounding the starter motor directly to the frame BATTERY ground. I also run a wire from any other Ducati factory ground to the frame battery ground.
2) I had a dead Monster this spring and found that someone ( most likely the factory) tightened the zip ties too close to connectors, which pulled them very slightly out of their connectors. Understand this, I’m saying the wire itself was pulled partially out of the connector, but they were still securely clipped together. I disconnected every connector on the bike, cleaned and greased them, and made sure the wires on both sides of the connector were firmly seated. When you zip tie the wiring , don’t get too close to connectors, and don’t pull them too tight. I cleaned all the ecu connections too, a very delicate job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two things: 1) there are usually multiple ground points. It is not enough to clean one of them , you must find them all and make sure you scrape all the paint off down to bare metal. Also, regardless of how the factory grounds are placed run a wire grounding the starter motor directly to the frame BATTERY ground. I also run a wire from any other Ducati factory ground to the frame battery ground.
2) I had a dead Monster this spring and found that someone ( most likely the factory) tightened the zip ties too close to connectors, which pulled them very slightly out of their connectors. Understand this, I’m saying the wire itself was pulled partially out of the connector, but they were still securely clipped together. I disconnected every connector on the bike, cleaned and greased them, and made sure the wires on both sides of the connector were firmly seated. When you zip tie the wiring , don’t get too close to connectors, and don’t pull them too tight. I cleaned all the ecu connections too, a very delicate job.
Ok, that will be my next job! I'll start checking the connections out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So, did you figure this out? Been thinking of getting a Hyper as something a little more civilized than my SXV, but this sounds like deja vu all over again...

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, did you figure this out? Been thinking of getting a Hyper as something a little more civilized than my SXV, but this sounds like deja vu all over again...
If you're thinking about a used 821 or 939, I recommend buying one with some miles on it and calling the dealer for a history check. I picked up my 821 last October, my 4th Duc in the last 11 years, and this was the only model where the forums and social media made me cautious about buying. (can anyone say "snowcat"?)

Before I found my current ride, I was looking at another 821 with 1,300 miles on it. I called the dealer for a service record check and they said to stay away from this one. I didn't even ask why. Thank you Ducati of Sunnyvale.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts