Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Diavel AMG which is my pride and joy, it's coddled and loved like most of us do....

Unfortunately, while it was being worked on today the timing cover was broken, this is the small cover on the alternator cover that you remove to pull the alt cover from the crankshaft snout.
The AMG has laser etching which says who the person was that hand timed the camshafts, it's a small detail but i'm gutted mine is damaged and i can't run the bike with it. I'm desperate to make it right, does anyone know if there is an AMG being wrecked anywhere or if anyone has this cover? i would be very grateful if i can replace my broken part.
Thanks in advance for looking.
Please don't move this to parts wanted, it is, but i'd like as many people to see this as possible, i've alrready looked almost everywhere myself before asking here
Thank you.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I guess you checked to see if a Ducati dealer can order a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess you checked to see if a Ducati dealer can order a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
of course,
The special piece with the laser etching was installed at the factory and no spares were or are available, if it's lost or damaged they can only offer a std blank one.

I've written almost everyone except the pope, who likely has one ina drawer.....

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
of course,
The special piece with the laser etching was installed at the factory and no spares were or are available, if it's lost or damaged they can only offer a std blank one.

I've written almost everyone except the pope, who likely has one ina drawer.....
Get a standard one and find an engraver, they should be able to duplicate the font.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Get a standard one and find an engraver, they should be able to duplicate the font.
That's a great suggestion. I think the chances of you finding a wrecked AMG are slim-to-none.

You can always replace it in the future if you manage to come across one.

Reactions: loony888

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't understand what you're trying to replace if you want the original with a one off etching on it and also don't want a plain one.

I mean.. How could you replace such a piece with original 1 off etching? Are you asking how to repair it?

·
Registered
491 Posts
How about a photo of the broken part? You can TIG weld aluminum and a good welder can weld beer cans together. Don't give up on the orig part just yet.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
How many AMG’s were made ? Is there a Registry you could contact ?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't understand what you're trying to replace if you want the original with a one off etching on it and also don't want a plain one.

I mean.. How could you replace such a piece with original 1 off etching? Are you asking how to repair it?

This is the original piece, mine is broken, i tried to reorder another from Ducati only to find that they don't offer it as a spare part with the AMG engraving as shown, only plain black.
I'm asking if anyone knows where there may be an AMG Diavel being wrecked or parted out, or if someone has bought an engine from one and has the part with no use for it.
Not likely i know but i would like my bike back to original.

It seems that scanning my broken piece and duplicating the laser etching on a genuine plain black one is the most sensible option, i've ordered a new blank one and found a trophy shop that says they can do it. we will see.

Once that is done (or at least attempted) i'll get my broken one welded, i don't want to do it before i get it scanned in case the welding heat damages it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many AMG’s were made ? Is there a Registry you could contact ?
Oh man is that a can of worms!

So, originally they were meant to be a run of 2000 bikes, but when the sale of Ducati to VAG went through they immediately ceased production of the AMG, the numbered plaques are all over the place, there's no sequence to it, mine is 525 and there's a guy in VIC with a number in the 300's yet Aus only got 20 apparently, the highest known number is in the 670's but there's a LOT of conjecture on how many were actually made, It's generally accepted that the plaques weren't attached in order and that there is nowhere near that many out there, how many? who knows, someone posted on the Diavel forum that they have a contact at the factory that says it's about 200 but I and many others have asked the factory for more information and we get NO reply at all, not even a courteous "we don't know", nothing.
I would expect the numbered plaques on the tank cover to be a one off but the timing covers are too, hope nothing else is this hard to get, the wheels, seat and rad covers are all specific and so is the bodywork and frame paintwork.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Totally undetectable. Too bad you told about a million people that it’s not the original. I’d have glued the broken piece back on, the screw would hide the crack.

Reactions: Dutch848

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Totally undetectable. Too bad you told about a million people that it’s not the original. I’d have glued the broken piece back on, the screw would hide the crack.
Yeah, but even though it's specific to the AMG Diavel and adds to it's detail it's not like it's the numbered plaque. And really, it is THAT close to the original that i would have no shame in explaining it if i were ever to sell it, (which isn't on the cards).

Ultimately an original replacement would have been ideal but i'v pretty much exhausted that option, the Aust Distributor is useless and after i contacted Ducati Spa. they referred me to them which has been nothing but disinterest and the run around.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Way to go mate, I too have problems with ultra rare bits but my problems are BMW related , but sometimes you have to make the part and in your case it worked out very well indeed

Reactions: loony888
1 - 19 of 19 Posts