Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case someone is wondering how much a pair of OEM Desmo wheels cost: US$18000. :eek: That's the price quoted by the local Ducati dealer (Qatar), and they say it's the price from the factory and that they would offer them at cost because I've been a good customer.

Unfortunalety, last Friday's ride out, while changing lane at over 200kph, I couldn't avoid hitting a stone lying in the middle of the lane. The impact put a dent and cracked my front rim and, the bouncing stone hit the rear rim and dented it too.
Luckily, the steering dumper did a good job; I managed to bring the bike to a stop safe without falling off.

I guess now, an order for a pair of BST carbon wheels (for US$4000 a pair; R17 rear) seems to be the only ("right") choice.

Of course, I offered my "used" Desmo wheels to the dealer as trade-in for a StreetFighter

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'd love to see close-up pictures of the damaged areas, too!

If I recall correctly, the D16RR wheels are made of magnesium and even though they are now dented they can most likely be straightened and repaired.

With a cost of USD 18.000 for a new set it's well worth looking into fixing them, if you ask me.

Also, I don't mean to start yet another alloy vs. carbon fibre thread but with metal wheels you can at least see damage like this rather easily and even though the wheels were dented they held up nicely.

All in all, what matters is you made it through this episode unharmed!

·
9,757 Posts
The bike won't be the same with a 17" rear wheel. Have the scratched up rear sent out and repaired and just buy a plain forged magnesium marchesini wheel for the front.

You could also get an aluminum 1198S front wheel. Looks almost identical. Not sure if it'll require modification to fit but it's worth checking out.

Either way any wheel you get for the front will be hidden behind those massive brakes and ohlins accumulators anyways.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
As a true friend I offer to buy that broken and damaged bike from you for the sum of US$2 000 - CASH!!! (Even better)

On a serious note though, I am juts glad that you did not bought the farm. That could have been an ugly incident. Same here for the pictures please.

SF

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm almost afraid to ask, safetyfish, but what on earth is that thing in your avatar picture?

Surely, it cannot be a dog!?

Let me guess, mutations and fringe science is your true passion and you have a state-of-the-art gene lab in your basement, right? :D

I'm just happy to see you live far, far away from me. That thing scares me! :eek:

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I was told that Magnesium is the only one that can't be streightened or fixed if damaged. aluminum can, I hope I'm wrong and good luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd don't own a D16 and there's a good chance I won't in my lifetime, BUT, if I do, would have switched it to BST 17" from the get go anyways because of tire selection. I know the smart engineers at Ducati designed it for that diameter for optimal performance...but, I think it'll work well with the 17".

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
This should definitely fall under insurance claim in my mind.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This should definitely fall under insurance claim in my mind.
yup that is so true.. if you have full coverage it should cover that...

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
yup that is so true.. if you have full coverage it should cover that...
And if you don't have full coverage..why the hell do you have a 16RR?!? :think:

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
... 'cause that costs more than the wheels!!! Having one would be like an upfront payment for a pair of wheels once a year, damaged or not.

Well that is the idea. You can afford a 70K dollar bike, you can afford the 300 or more a month for the insurance. Just like any other expensive toy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In case someone is wondering how much a pair of OEM Desmo wheels cost: US$18000. :eek: That's the price quoted by the local Ducati dealer (Qatar), and they say it's the price from the factory and that they would offer them at cost because I've been a good customer.

Unfortunalety, last Friday's ride out, while changing lane at over 200kph, I couldn't avoid hitting a stone lying in the middle of the lane. The impact put a dent and cracked my front rim and, the bouncing stone hit the rear rim and dented it too.
Luckily, the steering dumper did a good job; I managed to bring the bike to a stop safe without falling off.

I guess now, an order for a pair of BST carbon wheels (for US$4000 a pair; R17 rear) seems to be the only ("right") choice.

Of course, I offered my "used" Desmo wheels to the dealer as trade-in for a StreetFighter

dude...looking at the list of bikes you own it shouldn't be a problem...

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
FWIW, the carbon wheels would have absorbed the impact and bounced not bent

how in the hell do they justify 18k mag wheels when ducati mag is the same price as any other mag? i don't get how people eat that shite without choking

mag wheels are like $2500 new and carbons are like $3700

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
FWIW, the carbon wheels would have absorbed the impact and bounced not bent
+1

We've had a lot of BST customers report back that they went over ladders, rocks, bricks and pot holes with no problems.

We had one BST user hop a square curb. The tire cut on both sides but it only took a toe nail clipping shape out of the rim edge. The clear coat was deformed from the flexing though.

-M

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
magnesium is not a great material for abrasion or absorbing impacts or plain crashing

it is great for valve covers and clutch covers, not wheels

forged aluminum would have been a better choice or carbon on a $72,ooo motorcycle IMO

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bouncing VS Bending

At that speed I think that I would rather bend a wheel vs bounce it and possibly drop the $70,000 bike on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts