Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As beautiful and enticing as it is, unless this bike results in a Superbike for the typical Ducatista it's nothing more than a Lamborghini Countach. Lovely eye candy but nothing anyone I know will own.

bruce19

·
Registered
681 Posts
I was also wondering if this will take over in AMA and WSBK.

But yeah, its jsut an ultra exclusive bike. Few will actually ride it (imagine what the cost would be if you lowsided it! :eek: )

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
RR Product Strategy

The RR is hardly likely as a SBK. That would threaten the V-twin Ducati engine format, which Ducati is smart enough to avoid.

Look what happened to Triumph when they tried to compete head-on with the Japanese big 4 (Daytona 600/650 fours) and the results when they went their own way (Daytona 675 triple).

No, I'd look at the RR for what it is - a high-spec, high-priced race replica, an image builder for Ducati, but not a lot more than that. Most of us will be lucky to read about it in the magazines and will never actually ride the thing.

Besides, many of us (including me) like the current V-twins and don't want the extra weight/complication/cost of a V-four.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
DrGonzo said:
I was also wondering if this will take over in AMA and WSBK
I don't remember where I saw it...it might have been in Minoli's "Desmoblog"...but I remember someone at Ducati saying that they have no plans to campaign the D16 in WSBK. They're dedicated to "pompone" and the L-twin.

On the other hand, with the MotoGP moving to 800cc machines, the 1000cc V4 lump could find a home in a production bike without any risk of violating the MotoGP rules. I think I'd be more likely to buy a Ducati V4 if the firing order was set up for "Big Bang" (12-34) rather than a traditional firing order (1-3-2-4 or somesuch).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Big bang

From the tech specs provided in the press release the V4 appears to be a big bang motor. Ducati calls it "asymmetrical Twin Pulse configuration"

L

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
lowellgoss said:
From the tech specs provided in the press release the V4 appears to be a big bang motor. Ducati calls it "asymmetrical Twin Pulse configuration"
Oh crap. You had to point that out, didja? *pout*

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
rz33v4 said:
Besides, many of us (including me) like the current V-twins and don't want the extra weight/complication/cost of a V-four.
Heard that one before, sort of. Talked about 2V air-cooled versus 4V water-cooled :D
Admit it ..... you want one. And I will admit that I'm kinda old-fashioned: love my air-cooled 2V Ducati (MH900e) and BMW (R100R Classic) and wouldn't trade them for the more modern -higher output- bikes offered by these brands. But that's just me.
RonB

·
Registered
51 Posts
+1

can you imagine what the dealers what dealers would charge for a valve adjustment? $1k? $1500?

can any of you dealers out there reading this give us some idea?

·
Registered
21 Posts
desmodici

i work at european motorcycles or pittsburgh, bmw, triumph, ducati. We had a gentleman place an order for 3 count them 3 desmodici's. the cost of the machine is slated to be $65,000, and i cant wait to uncrate and test ride the beast.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I understand the need for continued development of the "breed", I'm quite happy with my 998. Eventually, I'd like there to be an affordable evolution of the Superbike (and Supersport for that matter.).

bruce19

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
franzl66 said:
i work at european motorcycles or pittsburgh, bmw, triumph, ducati. We had a gentleman place an order for 3 count them 3 desmodici's. the cost of the machine is slated to be $65,000, and i cant wait to uncrate and test ride the beast.
It's the likes of these guys whats gonna get the initial supply of D16RR.

Us little peeps will save $40k, but gotta wait 4 years, lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
DrGonzo said:
I was also wondering if this will take over in AMA and WSBK.

But yeah, its jsut an ultra exclusive bike. Few will actually ride it (imagine what the cost would be if you lowsided it! :eek: )
Domenicalli of Ducati Corse said they would prefer not to race it, he didn't say they would not assist a private team to. Think Lavilla and Bayliss on Desmosedici's in a WSBK team headed by Colin Wright, the man who gave Bayliss his big break in racing. Ducati Corse factory team leaves WSBK to concentrate on MotoGP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
3? thats 2 to many

franzl66 said:
hate to burst your bubble but each customer is only allowed 1 desmo, not 3

·
Registered
3 Posts
maintence cost for the desmo RR

ericS4 said:
+1

can you imagine what the dealers what dealers would charge for a valve adjustment? $1k? $1500?

can any of you dealers out there reading this give us some idea?
the bikes come with a 3 yr manufacturers warranty and 3 years free maintence

·
Registered
608 Posts
True...true but

migz123 said:
It's the likes of these guys whats gonna get the initial supply of D16RR.

Us little peeps will save $40k, but gotta wait 4 years, lol.
At least Ducati is making a genuine effort to get race-bred bikes out to their fans, this, I think, is central to their success.

As Ing. Taglioni once said: 'After we won on the race track we won in the market..'

Apart from time to save the dough I for one will prolly need 4 years track-time on the testastretta before I could ride the sedici properly!

·
Registered
375 Posts
the bikes come with a 3 yr manufacturers warranty and 3 years free maintence
Which for most buyers will cover what? The 600 mile service? Maybe.

For those of us in the real world (with a budget), maybe they'll introduce a 'dark' version for $59,995. :D

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
bruce19 said:
As beautiful and enticing as it is, unless this bike results in a Superbike for the typical Ducatista it's nothing more than a Lamborghini Countach. Lovely eye candy but nothing anyone I know will own.
I'm pretty sure that a friend of mine has one on order. He has the requisite 999R (2, actually, one street and one track), and can afford one, so we're all just waiting for it to show up in his garage. At least he'll actually ride it if he gets it.

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts